Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Breeding Hamsters

Notices

Old 09-30-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
nooboo
Hamster Overlord

Send a message via MSN to nooboo
Default I feel like a monster.

We had a bad hamster escape, about 18 days back. Two got free, but were found quickly (well that's what Dave said as they always run into the bedroom to find him on the computer). He has a nasty habit of getting the hamsters out, by opening two or three roof bits on their Rotastaks, and when putting them back only closing the one they went back into. Don't worry he is sulking in the bathroom for the lecture I just gave him.

I thought nothing of it at all. I did get slightly worried a week back when I realised he meant Si (male) and Ponder (the small one of my two girls). He said they were found in different rooms, and were not out long. 16 days comes and goes and I stop worrying. Ponder didn't seem fatter or anything, and more friendly than ever! Her coat was adorably soft too, so I couldn't help but play with her the last few days.

You can guess what is coming.

So today I come home from work, and Ponder is acting odd. Her cage has been altered (she swapped where she usually sleeps). I check on her food and its a little low, so I give her some more, she comes out of her bed to see me. I give her a cuddle, pop her in her ball and go to move her nesting stuff to the back end (it's very near the water bottle, I was worried she would get it and her all wet). I find three little pink things. I quickly take Ponder out of her floor ball and put her back in her cgae. I scrambled up an egg, and put it in a dish with bread soaked in cats milk(after Dave was ordered to get some suitable milk immediately).

I have enough cages to cope easily. I just feel like a monster, at least she was on extra protein for being small. I bought the Roborovski as I wouldn't be having a baby Syrian to keep in a hurry. I am all flustered. What's worse is I leave tomorrow at 11am and don't get back till 7pm Sunday. It is Dave's gran's birthday, so we have to travel and stay with his dad and step mum. I half think that if I leave lots of food and water it will be a good thing, nice quiet flat, no noise, but half worried that I should be here. Tickets can't be refunded but if it's best I will stay and send Dave alone. I can't beliieve this happened. What a terrible owner I am! Ponder is so small as it is, this must have caused her many problems, I just feel worried and really really bad right now, and wouldn't mind some advice. Should I stay or go?
nooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:30 AM   #2
Emma
Hamster Addict

Send a message via MSN to Emma

I'm sorry you didn't get a reply on the forum nooboo, it was posted that both Candace and I were away all weekend.

What has happened with Ponder's litter, what did you decide to do? I will leave my hamsters overnight sometimes (never longer though) and feel that is fine, however I wouldn't have left Ponder until I was sure she had finished giving birth in case there had been any complications. After that as you say peace & quiet may not have been a bad thing.

Remember though that hamsters are quite prone to cannibalism of young and especially with a first litter, young mother (I think Ponder is quite young?), and being disturbed during giving birth it sounds like, although of course you weren't to know, don't blame yourself if the worse happens.

How long after the escape did she give birth?

Hope everything is ok.

Hamster Central Moderator

Owned by Merry, Pippin, Lola & Shirley (roborovskis) Toby & Hazel (syrians)

Missing my angel Phoebe
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #3
nooboo
Hamster Overlord

18 days after the escape. Which seems too long isn't it? It's all so confusing.

She had seemed to have finished giving birth and I went away. rather begrugingly. I left her with three bowls of food, don't ask I was worried. When we got back in yesterday she ran up to greet us and came out of her cage when we tried to change the food. She had left the babies uncovered I could only see two, I hope the other one is ok and was just more burried. Do you think the small litter size might be because they didn't have long together?? Ponder is still quite young and very small but must be getting near 4 months old now.

I have been giving her some cat milk soaked bread, and, chicken and vegetable baby food, is this good or bad? She also had some plain chicken breast when we got in yesterday. I just feel terrible, it was the one that I in no way would have wanted this for. She is so small, and to be honest, does not seem to be doing a good job. She tries to get out everytime we change the food, and does not wish to go back in, spends more of her time away from them than with them, it's really getting worrying.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
pophammy
Retired Moderator

Send a message via MSN to pophammy

The small litter size is probably because she is young, small and inexperienced. She may have had more and lost them or then again she may just have had the three. I do not think the length of time together has much to do with it. The babies may have been born slightly before you saw them so the timing would seem OK, The key is to leave this mum in peace. I would not be offering her the chance to come out at all at the moment. Put her in a quiet room, cover the cage and only go in when you need to check her food. Feed good quality protein, maybe some lactol if you have any and leave her be for another week. Hopefully she will settle and raise the babes. Good luck Ponder and try hard.
Found in Announcements and Bug Corner Section
pophammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
nooboo
Hamster Overlord

biggest problem is as soon as I open the cage to get her bowl she is there climbing out. Would it be best to over fill the bowl and change food once every other day instead?

I am worried she may have eaten a lot of her young, but the day before she gave birth she was still slim, luckily the very day before I cleaned out their cages, though it did mean that she may have got into a newly cleaned cage and given birth straight away. Dave is now not allowed to take the hamsters out unless I can be there to see him put them back. He left the Roborovski cage open last night. Luckily they were way too small and had nothing to climb on, when will he learn!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
pophammy
Retired Moderator

No I would still feed once a day as you need to change the fresh food. She probably only had the three if she was slim so do not worry over what has been and gone and what if? Do your best for her now and support her. It is hard but if she climbs out put her back in. It's only for ten days or so and the lives of the babies depend on her now. The food sounds fine as long as it has no onion in it. Can you see if the babies are still there? If they are it is hopeful as long as you do not disturb the family any more than you need to.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
Emma
Hamster Addict

Send a message via MSN to Emma

They can go that long, day 18 is the limit at which I'd think about giving drugs to help things along.

Just do the best you can and see how it goes - 3 is a very small litter, but probably for the reasons already discussed, and she may have cannibalised a few. Fingers crossed for the little ones.

Hamster Central Moderator

Owned by Merry, Pippin, Lola & Shirley (roborovskis) Toby & Hazel (syrians)

Missing my angel Phoebe
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:21 AM   #8
nooboo
Hamster Overlord

Whenever I go to the kitchen or loo I see her there in her cage in the living room, just sat at the other end. Maybe she is just wanting some time out from them, I wont let her out no matter how much she begs then, and I have banned dave from the living room computer, which means we are now fighting over the bedroom one. Better start posting nice things about him!

I wonder if she will eat some scrambled egg on milk soaked bread. Better go scramble one so it's got time to cool. They like to all be fed at a certain time, well, usually that's after I get in from work, but Dave gave me fresher flu, never live with a student!

I will have to leave him to sort them out I don't want to sneeze near them, let's hope he has learnt to close cages
Old 10-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #9
pophammy
Retired Moderator

It is not really normal for a mother to want time out from such a young litter. Instinct normally keeps them with their young. Are they definitely still alive and she is not avoiding the nest because the young are dead. I would try and check without touching the babies. Can you use a stick or pencil (cleaned off scent) to move the bedding? If they are alive, if possible cover the cage. The living room is a bit busy and noisy for a new mum but if it is the only place try and shelter her behind the sofa or something.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #10
nooboo
Hamster Overlord

The nest was moving earlier. The living room is ok, as there is only Dave and I here, and we are sticking to the bedroom, we only walk past it when going to the kitchen or bathroom, and she is right at the back of the living room. You can just see her cage from the door, and at the moment, her at in her food bowl pawing at the side according to Dave (he just went to the loo, not that you needed to know :P )

We are going to get takeout, so there is no more running to the kitchen, (any excuse) and we are reading so there is not even any noise in the bedroom.

She has also taken to staring at the Robos in their cage, but as they are at least a foot away she shouldn't be able to see them should she?