Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Other pets

Notices

Old 05-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
Bekki2308
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Erm it appears I now own a rat ... (photos of rats present in thread)

I was in the pet shop and this little guy was just in his cage on the floor and he was bar climbing so I sat down and said hello and he seemed really friendly and I fell in love, he has the least ratty face I have ever seen and his tail isnt hugely long either so he is mine now

He cost me £35 including the cage, but the cage is huge and was £80 new the bar spacing is just over 1mm so I can use it for hammies when this wee man passes away hes 18 months old so he wont live for much longer really maybe a year or so but his twilight months will be as great as I can make them. His cage was bare when I picked it up so I put in some spare guinea pig and hamster things and I am going to give him a guinea pig hidey to have a nest box I just need to give it a good scrub out

He took a meal worm from my hand and its very tame, his last owner dropped him off at the pet store this morning in her coat ... he was just inside the coat with her so he is cuddly and friendly but needs time to settle in

He is on shavings until clean out I know he shouldnt be on shavings but thats the only thing he has right now with smell from his old home to comfort him and help him settle all the furnishing in the cage are mine so smell of me and my home. He will be kept on megazorb after his clean out He also has a little fluffy bedding left only because it will smell of him and his old house. His cage is dirty on the bars so I dont think he has been kept properly clean in his cage though. His shelf was pitted, the ladder is still dirty as they obviously didnt clean that.

I have already had somebody tell me that my first concern with him is finding him a friend, which yes id like to do (and I will)that but I want him settled and used to me before I do that considering he hasnt seen another rat in 1.5 + years and he has just moved house I think thats quite a lot of stress for a relatively old ratty

I was just in the animal room and he is snoozing in his new hammock so cute! His cage literally had a bottle and that plastic shelf in that was all! Oh and a few half torn filthy socks!
Bekki2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Kissa
Fuzzy Feet!

Default Re: Erm it appears I now own a rat ... (photos of rats present in thread)

Poor ratty! What's his name? How did you acquire him?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
GemmieWho
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Erm it appears I now own a rat ... (photos of rats present in thread)

Aww he's so sweet. You're right he doesn't really look very "rat" like, does he?
Are you keeping the same name?
You'll need to update your signature now
GemmieWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
Robolicious Bobtails

Awww what a little pudding! I am seriously jealous now because Mr Bobtail has said we can have a pair of rats once we move to a bigger house and only have the Robo litters and a Syrian/WW (so just 3 hamster cages instead of 6 )

Aww congrats on him!
Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Bekki2308
PM Fluffy for custom title

He is just so sweet!

His previous owner arranged with a local pet store to rehome him via the store, they were moving house and were not allowed any pets in the new place. The owner left him this morning at the store for opening time so 9am, at 11 am I went in for a wander round to see if they had any burns hay for my guinea pigs, and there he was I fell for him straight away! I have never been a rat person ever never liked them and thought their tails were horrid but this little fellow has changed all of that! He just looks to me more like a syrian hamster with a tail than a traditional rat. Having just adopted him I have a lot to learn about ratties!

His previous owner called him ziggy but I dont think its quite right for him. Any help with naming would be much apreciated
Bekki2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Hammymad
Little Miss Hammymad

Awww he is so sweet bless him.Good for you for adopting this old ratty,I'd have dne the same
Hmmmm name wise,what about Munchie? Xx
Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
MadAsAHatter
Hamster Pup

Aw he is a very cute rat, I generally don't like their tales either but awww

Effie ~ 9.5.12
MadAsAHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Lougarry
The Werehamster

What a very adorable little face
Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Charley101
Mesocricetus auratus

He has such a cute little face. It sounds like he's going to have a good life with you
Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
snaisby
Hamster Pup

Whereabouts are you? I have 3 foster boys looking for a lovely new home - they are older gents too. Just if you were interested

Well done on taking him in, sounds like he needs spoiling in his retirement bless him. you should join Fancy Rats Forum, it's friendly and full of good advice

I'm afraid he probably won't use that wheel, it's a bit small - rats need a 12" minimum wheel for comfort.
snaisby is offline   Reply With Quote