Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Housing

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
love4mj96
Newborn Pup

Default Bin Cages???

Does anyone use a bin cage?if so do you like it?I heard about it on the internet and thought i would try it but turns out to be a terrible ideal in my opinion.
love4mj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
StarlightSerenity
Wicked Witch of Manchester

Default Re: Bin Cages???

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4mj96 View Post
Does anyone use a bin cage?if so do you like it?I heard about it on the internet and thought i would try it but turns out to be a terrible ideal in my opinion.
Why is it a terrible idea in your opinion?
StarlightSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

lol yeah... my robos pip and pop have a bin cage, they love it and i love it theyre a lot better - price and size - than most cages in the shops in my opinion :P
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
love4mj96
Newborn Pup

well i got a bin cage kind of big due to price and size but its so hard to clean and mine has to have a lid,i would just rather have a cage?is there anyway to make cleaning easier,cause the plastic seams to keep the smell of pee even after washing?other then that its good
Old 01-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Well you could try toilet training your hamster meaning you wouldnt have to problem of cleaning out the whole cage all the time cus its smelly :L Maybe if you added more ventilation other than the top? like maybe the sides or something with mesh - it would help clear the smell a bit
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
StarlightSerenity

Quote:
well i got a bin cage kind of big due to price and size but its so hard to clean and mine has to have a lid,i would just rather have a cage?is there anyway to make cleaning easier,cause the plastic seams to keep the smell of pee even after washing?other then that its good
I dont see how they are hard to clean? It's a square box... Take the lid off, tip everything out, rinse it, wipe it down, let it dry. Ta-da.

I dont know how to reduce the smell retention, it's because the plastic isnt the same (or at least is treated differently) to the plastic used in hamster cages. You could always try lining the cage.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
love4mj96
Newborn Pup

well its hard to clean because the pee gets stuck to the sides so i scrub it off but when it dries it is still stained and i dont think thats very sanitary.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
love4mj96
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoandmimi View Post
Well you could try toilet training your hamster meaning you wouldnt have to problem of cleaning out the whole cage all the time cus its smelly :L Maybe if you added more ventilation other than the top? like maybe the sides or something with mesh - it would help clear the smell a bit
okay,thanks i will try this,cause he uses the bathroom in one corner and it stains it and it has me worried about how sanitary it is for him is all,other than that i think its good housing.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
StarlightSerenity

Quote:
well its hard to clean because the pee gets stuck to the sides so i scrub it off but when it dries it is still stained and i dont think thats very sanitary.
What substrate do you use? How much? I assume she has a toilet corner (one she has established herself)? Have you prodived her with a purpose built toilet?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
love4mj96
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlightSerenity View Post
What substrate do you use? How much? I assume she has a toilet corner (one she has established herself)? Have you prodived her with a purpose built toilet?

I use aspen softwood bedding,and i cover the bottom,about 2 or 3 inches of it.she established it himself so i clean it more,he dosent use the storebought hamster litter box?