View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 07:39 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Are "Pellets" good or bad to feed you hamster?

It must be very difficult with a peanut allergy So few products guarantee they are nut free and some put things like 'may' contain nuts or - produced in a factory where nuts may have been. Or some such thing. I can't actually find Orbox hamster food on google. Did you mean Oxbow?

As Amityville says, hamster foods will contain good things - some are better than others, but they are supposed to contained required nutrients. Do you mean an all-in-one food by pellet food (like the Oxbow)? If that is the only one you can find that is guaranteed nut free then maybe you could use it and supplement your hammy's diet with fresh food. It sounds quite a complex one. People have different views on Oxbow, but generally it's seen more as a supplementary food than an only/main food. However, if supplemented it could be fine. It's good to give hamsters fresh veg anyway - I give it daily, some people give it every other day - just very small amounts, like a thumbnail sized piece. Broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, cucumber, peas, green beans are all safe (there's a list on here of safe fruit and veg). A similar sized piece of cheese or plain cooked chicken once or twice a week would also give fresh food and extra protein.

Maybe someone else would have something more specific for your situation though - I'm not a dietary expert. But I can see it is really important to avoid anything with nuts.

There's a similar thread about which hamster food for people with nut allergies here - it might have some tips

Need Syrian Mix with NO tree nuts or peanuts

Last edited by Pebbles82; 04-14-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote