Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Hamster Healthcare

Notices

Old 01-01-2022, 04:19 AM   #1
Carla Gordon and Derrick
Hamster Pup

Default Campbells - injured back/legs?

Hi all. Our Russian ham Paul (a rescue, campbells colouring but likely a hybrid) is around 18 months we think. Today we noticed that he has 'dips' near the back of his spine. He's always had a bit of a hunched back since we got him - likely from too small a wheel when he was little. It's come on very suddenly so seems more like injury.

Here's a video of him: 1 January 2022 - YouTube

Any idea of what could cause this? Could it be a stroke or leg injury? It seems structural and possibly his back legs. He's still sociable with a good appetite.

Note: we are trying to get an emergency appointment for today!!

Gordon, Derrick, Earvin <3
Carla Gordon and Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:04 AM   #2
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Campbells - injured back/legs?

I wouldn't want to speculate because i don't know but i agree with you. It looks like a back injury. Could he have climbed up high somewhere and fallen onto his back though? Arthritis could affect movement of the legs but that would start gradually and not suddenly.

You should be able to get an emergency appointment and get him some pain relief. Hopefully a vet will be able to tell you what is wrong with your little hamster.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:10 AM   #3
Carla Gordon and Derrick
Hamster Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I wouldn't want to speculate because i don't know but i agree with you. It looks like a back injury. Could he have climbed up high somewhere and fallen onto his back though? Arthritis could affect movement of the legs but that would start gradually and not suddenly.

You should be able to get an emergency appointment and get him some pain relief. Hopefully a vet will be able to tell you what is wrong with your little hamster.
We've managed to get an appointment for this afternoon. It's just so sudden, he was fine yesterday! Hopefully they can help him and make sure he's not in pain.

Old 01-01-2022, 05:46 AM   #4
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Gordon and Derrick View Post
We've managed to get an appointment for this afternoon. It's just so sudden, he was fine yesterday! Hopefully they can help him and make sure he's not in pain.
I'm glad you got an appointment. Please let us know the outcome. Fingers crossed that everything will work out fine. It's such a worry when our furry little friends take ill.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:06 AM   #5
Carla Gordon and Derrick
Hamster Pup

Unfortunately Paul passed away just before we were leaving. He was asleep and peaceful, but it's just so sudden and doesn't make sense. I wonder from looking at him if it was hips or possibly kidney related but it's difficult to know with the little guy. He had a very happy 14 months with us since we rescued him and he may also have been older than we thought.
He was peaceful, happy, and we'll really miss him.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:06 AM   #6
Ria P
House of Hamsters

I am so sorry to hear that Paul passed away but it may well have saved him from suffering to go peacefully now.

He was loved and happy to the end. Play well at the bridge.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:11 AM   #7
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

I am so sorry. 18 months is a good lifespan for a Russian dwarf. You maybe won’t know what it was. It could have been a strike, or pressure from a tumour on the spine or nerves, or injury from a fall. But he had a good life with you in a loving home and at least he died peacefully at home, They tend to “keep going” till the end.

I suspect he may have had a tumour with you saying he sat hunched sometimes. They don’t show signs of pain, being prey animals, they hide pain. Hunching can indicate they have pain. Or he may have always had some genetic problem that flared up now and then.

Play well over the rainbow bridge Paul x
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back, campbells, idea, injury, today