Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Housing

Notices

Old 01-28-2023, 03:33 PM   #1
Ash777
Newborn Pup

Default Burying water bowl and wheel solutions?

Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong place. My hamster is constantly burrowing underneath his wheel and water bowl. I fix it everyday. I’m looking for some sort of platform to put them on so this isn’t an issue in the future. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
Ash777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:04 PM   #2
lovehamsters01
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Burying water bowl and wheel solutions?

most of my hamsters use water bottles (hard to find a good one but niteangel water bottles are generally the best in my experience, though even those can be unreliable)
I do have one dwarf that prefers a bowl and I found that the only way to keep the water clean was to put it on a hard surface. his cage happens to have a 2nd level without any bedding so I put it there, but if you don't have a 2nd level, adding a platform is pretty much the only option as I learned the hard way. A shelf from Ikea or a stand from niteangel would both work.
if you don't have room/don't want to get a stand, does he have a sandbox? some sandboxes have some sort of cover that have room for a water bowl. I know niteangel sells a sandbox like that, though they do tend to be pricey.
Unfortunately, we don't have many options in the US for good quality hamster accessories and I usually end up turning to niteangel for most things. (The water bowl I have is also from niteangel but I saw in your other post that you figured it out)
hope this was helpful!
lovehamsters01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:06 PM   #3
_nod
Senior Hamster

I created a wooden barrier to separate the burrowing area from the rest of my hamsters tank. That way I have an area of shallow bedding for bowls, wheels, etc and an area of deep bedding where my hamster to burrow in.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:53 AM   #4
Petite
Senior Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nod View Post
I created a wooden barrier to separate the burrowing area from the rest of my hamsters tank. That way I have an area of shallow bedding for bowls, wheels, etc and an area of deep bedding where my hamster to burrow in.
I have a similar arrangement with pieces of wood (with mouse holes in) to contain the bedding / burrowing area. The rest of the tank is covered by a layer of sawdust / wood chippings and that's where her wheel goes. Then there is a shelf for the water bottle and food bowl. It works well.
Petite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowl, platform, put, water, wheel