Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Hamster Healthcare

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2021, 10:03 PM   #1
BuddyBearHam
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 34
Question Tips for vet trips/carriers

Im thinking my hybrid dwarf hamster, Chester has an infection.
Im getting him into the vet as soon as I can.
Any tips for taking him there?
How should I set up the carrier?
How am I supposed to wake him up for the appointment?
Any tips for giving him medicine? This was somewhat difficult with my passed hamster who was more tame than Chester and Iím expecting he will need antibiotics/possibly some painkillers.


Its been a while and Iím nervous because my passed hamster had to be euthanized and I donít want that to have to happen with Chester.

Any help is greatly appreciated.


Thanks!
BuddyBearHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:26 AM   #2
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 4,315
Default Re: Tips for vet trips/carriers

I'd take him as soon as possible because infections don't get better by themselves and he may be in pain.

Taking a pet to the vet is no different from going to the doctors ourselves. We don't want to but we have to or we get worse and not better.

I took three of our dwarfs to the vet recently and do the following:
I get a transport box ready with substrate and a hide in it. I used to put food in it but don't do that now since a dwarf spat the contents of her pouches at the vet plus it can make checking the teeth and pouches more difficult.
Then i rustle the substrate until i can locate the hamster while calling their name and give them a chance to wake up a little. Depending on how tame the hamster is, i either scoop them up in my hands or tempt them into a mug with a treat.
As for medication, i'd wait and see what the vet says first. Some medication hamsters love to take and others they hate.

As for euthanasia, that is something i wouldn't worry about. It only happens with the owner's consent and only in the event where a hamster is suffering.

The sooner you find out what's wrong with Chester the better.
I find that a vet visit isn't as distressing for a hamster as people often expect.
__________________
Housemate of Ozzy & Rory & Rodney & Betsy & Monty & lodger Rupert
always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina and Clarissa
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:01 AM   #3
BuddyBearHam
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 34
Default Re: Tips for vet trips/carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I'd take him as soon as possible because infections don't get better by themselves and he may be in pain.

Taking a pet to the vet is no different from going to the doctors ourselves. We don't want to but we have to or we get worse and not better.

I took three of our dwarfs to the vet recently and do the following:
I get a transport box ready with substrate and a hide in it. I used to put food in it but don't do that now since a dwarf spat the contents of her pouches at the vet plus it can make checking the teeth and pouches more difficult.
Then i rustle the substrate until i can locate the hamster while calling their name and give them a chance to wake up a little. Depending on how tame the hamster is, i either scoop them up in my hands or tempt them into a mug with a treat.
As for medication, i'd wait and see what the vet says first. Some medication hamsters love to take and others they hate.

As for euthanasia, that is something i wouldn't worry about. It only happens with the owner's consent and only in the event where a hamster is suffering.

The sooner you find out what's wrong with Chester the better.
I find that a vet visit isn't as distressing for a hamster as people often expect.

Okay. Thanks!
Iím calling the vet today
BuddyBearHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
Fluffagrams
Moderator
 
Fluffagrams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 3,609
Default Re: Tips for vet trips/carriers

If your hamster does have an infection, the most likely treatment that will be recommended is Baytril which is an antibiotic. Unfortunately I have been told that it tastes awful and given the reluctance of some of my hamsters to take it, I'd believe it!

Some vets will prescribe it to be given in the hamster's water and ideally you'll want to avoid this if you can and ask for the dosage to enable you to give the liquid as it is instead. That way you can always syringe it directly into your hamsters mouth, if your hamster is tolerant enough or you can add it to a small amount of baby food, homemade chicken broth or something similar that you know your hamster enjoys.

Hope your vet visit goes well.
__________________
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:14 PM   #5
BuddyBearHam
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 34
Default Re: Tips for vet trips/carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffagrams View Post
If your hamster does have an infection, the most likely treatment that will be recommended is Baytril which is an antibiotic. Unfortunately I have been told that it tastes awful and given the reluctance of some of my hamsters to take it, I'd believe it!

Some vets will prescribe it to be given in the hamster's water and ideally you'll want to avoid this if you can and ask for the dosage to enable you to give the liquid as it is instead. That way you can always syringe it directly into your hamsters mouth, if your hamster is tolerant enough or you can add it to a small amount of baby food, homemade chicken broth or something similar that you know your hamster enjoys.

Hope your vet visit goes well.

From my past experience My vet only gives meds that are directly given with a little syringe so I hafta convince him to eat it. I canít mix it into anything because the vet was concerned about some of the dose being lost.
BuddyBearHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:06 AM   #6
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 4,315
Default Re: Tips for vet trips/carriers

A vet once told me to draw up the Baytril first followed by a tiny amount of undeluted Ribena so the hamster gets the sweet taste first and hopefully gobbles up both.

Worked for my hamsters.
__________________
Housemate of Ozzy & Rory & Rodney & Betsy & Monty & lodger Rupert
always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina and Clarissa
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #7
BuddyBearHam
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 34
Default Re: Tips for vet trips/carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
A vet once told me to draw up the Baytril first followed by a tiny amount of undeluted Ribena so the hamster gets the sweet taste first and hopefully gobbles up both.

Worked for my hamsters.


Okay. Iíll see if I can do that. Also his appointment is for Tuesday.
BuddyBearHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chester, hamster, passed, tips, vet

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.43 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2003-2020, Hobby Solutions
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31 PM.