Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Hamster Healthcare

Notices

Old 07-31-2021, 06:56 PM   #11
Karinalara89
Hamster Pup

Default Re: help, My russian campbell dwarf's skin condition

Thanks, for letting me know. I'll have to find a better vet.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:09 AM   #12
Amethyst_ice

I don't necessarily agree Amity. While a skin scrape is preferable, a visual diagnosis can be quite accurate. As for treating with ivermectin, its ok to use and what id have expected the vet to do. Many rescues treat with invermectin as precaution so I think the vet has done all that can be expected at 1st investgation

I don't see why cleaning cage so often though. The kind of mites we refer to, other than demodex, are internal ones that cause flares.

I wouldnt expect to see improvement until at least 5 days really but if the itching bad, maybe ask for a vet phonecall
Old 08-06-2021, 06:42 PM   #13
Karinalara89
Hamster Pup

Update:

Ok so it's been 8 days, and Zuki is still scratching, and the cuts on his skin don't heal because he keeps scratching. He still has red cuts behind his right and left ear, and still has those scaly things on his back,(although a little bit less than before, but still there.) And his tail is kind stiff.

The vet returned my call, and told me it could be fungal, so she suggests Zuki take a PCR test to see what fungal or ringworm thing he has. It costs $98, not including medicine. (oh and she was nice to not charge the $60 for the check up, for a second visit)
She said it could be trichophyton, and that it's more common with pocket pets.

She also told me to not put the lotion on him (for a week) so it doesn't interfere with the test results. I was using miconazole nitrate, an anti fungal lotion(liquid actually) (I still have it from when Jessi my robo also had skin problems- I went to another vet) but it ended up not working on Zuki.

Last edited by Karinalara89; 08-06-2021 at 06:48 PM.
Karinalara89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cuts, dandruff, missing, scaly, skin