Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Other pets

Notices

Old 03-27-2022, 12:52 PM   #11
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Bird - infected foot?

That’s one of the reasons I wanted to keep them Ria. In the wild they only live for three years but in captivity they can live for up to twenty! It feels like releasing them is almost killing them.

And thank you cloudy for looking all this up it’s very kind. Originally Filbert was Devine but being mating season they’ve become agitated and we’ve learnt that unless they mate, they could do it all year round. We think they see me as their mate also, so my poor OH keeps getting attacked and chasing him around the house and will coo all the time.

That’s what initially spurred on the thought that it’s nicer weather and if we do a slow release they may be able to start there own family and we can still see them and bring them indoors at night or winter or whenever. And flying around the estate really calmed them down actually and they’d just flown down and landed on my head to come back in.

I’d still keep them but the biggest problem as well is they’re a wild bird and in the uk it’s illegal to house a wild bird unless authenticated by a vet or housing for only a couple of days. We didn’t mean to keep them this long either just when we first found them and the parents hadn’t come back they couldn’t even lift their head. We should’ve just called a rescue though but we love animals so thought we were doing right by doing it ourselves.

I live in a flat and have to move out soon and again I’d take them with us but unless I privately owned my own house if we ever got caught with them in here we can actually get prosecuted for it. I don’t want to let them go but it’s not sensible to keep them either. Even if we had our own garden I’d 100% keep them because you could get a massive aviary but I don’t have a garden or the money for an aviary.

Also on a side note, I don’t know why it looked so bad this morning but the swelling has gone down. Still a bit swollen and yellow in colour but maybe they just really needed the rest. If the foot heals okay we may keep them longer but taking them to a rescue eventually may be the only option we have, i’m just not sure entirely what to do.
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:00 PM   #12
cloudy
Whimzee dealer

It sounds like you need some more time to discuss this with your OH. I totally understand you wanting to keep Filbert as you have bonded. Just know, if Filbert goes to a bird sanctuary they will get expert care and love. You have saved their life and I think that is something you should feel very proud of.

It is very good to hear the swelling has gone down. Maybe it was resting that helped.
cloudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:08 PM   #13
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Thank you, if I was to release them after talking to the rescue today I think it would be what’s best. We will discuss it more and we certainly bonded. I think they can tell I’m actually talking about them now, they keep looking over at me lol

I will think about it though because I know it would upset them as well if we parted. It all depends on what we end up doing in the future also.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #14
cloudy
Whimzee dealer

Aww, what a beautiful bird! If you do rehome Filbert then you are doing what is best for them in the long term. It would be horrid if you were to be fined for keeping them. Do not beat yourself up please.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:00 PM   #15
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Thank you I’ll keep you updated whatever happens!
Old 04-04-2022, 03:42 PM   #16
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Just wanted to do a brief update. Filberts foot aside from a little mark has fully recovered! We have spoke more as well and we’ve decided we’ll keep them as long as we can and if anything comes up we want to find an aviary close to us, that way we have the chance to visit again in the future as I don’t think that they could be released into the wild again. Apparently they can lose a ‘waterproof coating’ which I’m almost certain Filbert has lost but a bird owner would know more than me.

This way means we keep them as long as possible but also if we ever do take them to an aviary means we can still visit when we like. We think it’s the best option for the time being!
Old 04-05-2022, 12:26 AM   #17
cloudy
Whimzee dealer

I am so pleased you came up with a decision you are happy with.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:49 AM   #18
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Glad to hear that Filbert's foot is ok now.
Does he sleep in a cage overnight? He looks very much at home at yours the way he perches on top of the door.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:07 AM   #19
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

He technically has a cage that we got to sleep in but they get separation issues. I made these platforms around the house because they have sort of ‘hotspots’ like the door. My door, top of the Hoover and my partners wardrobe mostly. So they perch on those and then I use paper underneath them to catch any ‘droppings’ and the cage is more for emergencies now, they hated it and would flap against it trying to eat out I was worried one day in the night they may get injured so just made the platforms instead.

My desk has all food and water but they’re very free to fly in the house, if they’re naughty we might shut them in a room for a bit to calm down. We were going to get a massive second hand cage to live in but we haven’t got the space and the platforms work. They normally just sleep on the hoover good as gold and flies to wake me in the morning which I won’t lie, is very irritating some mornings lol

Tags
back, bird, don’t, it’s, they’re