Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Behaviour

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2017, 02:51 AM   #1
miss_eva
Newborn Pup

Post Chewing the plastic of the cage

Hello all!

I realise this sort of thing gets asked a lot, but I am really running out of ideas! I have a Syrian, Fern, she is about a year old and I have her in the Alexander cage but she won't stop chewing the plastic base of the cage in the corner. Its really frustrating! I have put so many things in the cage to try and entertain her but nothing seems to be working. She doesn't seem interested in chewing the bars, just the plastic. I thought she only did it when I was in the room for attention - which she doesn't get when she's chewing the cage - but I came home from work yesterday and it has doubled in size. I worry that she is going to escape or injure herself. I have tried olive oil which only deterred her for a short amount of time and I have now put in an extra shelf in trying to block the route to her "project" but she has managed to find a way in! Anything else I have put in the way of the hole she destroys very quickly.

She is an excellent hamster otherwise, although she does seem to be awake more often than asleep unlike my other ham. Changing to a plastic cage would not be suitable of course, and I have looked into home made and aquarium tanks but I just don't think any would entertain her enough, she loves using all the levels and wee maze I have made at the top of her Alexander cage. If I did upgrade her cage it would need to be suitable to carry and fit through a door way as I carry it out of my room each night - she keeps me awake!

Are there any other home made suggestions to help her stop chewing?

(Essay over)!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7868.JPG (100.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7869.JPG (88.8 KB, 23 views)
miss_eva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cage, chewing, plastic, home, made, put, entertain, suitable, room, stop, awake, alexander, carry, excellent, hamster, quickly, destroys, find, changing, hole, unlike, asleep, ham, aquarium, fit