Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Other pets

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2021, 05:22 AM   #1
Engel
Hamster Overlord
 
Engel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 822
Default Calling gerbil people!

There's 2 gerbils up for adoption and I've been told they're really struggling to find a home for them so may have to be sent elsewhere.

I have room for them in theory and I've got a rough idea how to care for them. So that's not an issue.

The issue is the cage...they all look so small! Falco, sco living and Marrakesh have all gone off the market. Fish tanks are stupidly expensive and there's none for sale on FB or similar near me.

I have the zoozone 2 though.

I've spoken to the rescue where I got Lilith from as they have had gerbils and they have said it's doable in the ZZ2 if I fill the grooves where the hay rack would sit with bolts and washers. (Idea for anyone with a hamster who like to chew those points )

Would that be suitable for 2 gerbils? Keep in mind their age is unknown but they're fully grown.
__________________
🐹 1 ham, 🐶 2 dogs, 🐀 2 rats, 🐷 4 pigs. 🌈 Forever in my heart, 🐹 Lilith, Ghost, Nikolai and Athena 🐶 Beau ❤️
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:59 AM   #2
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 4,566
Default Re: Calling gerbil people!

There's a Savic Zeno 2 in Marlborough, Wiltshire on preloved for 30.
No idea if that's a big enough cage but if it is they may send it by courier? Just a thought.
__________________
Housemate of Ozzy & Rory & Rodney & Monty & Jack & Gertie
& lodger Peppe
always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa and Betsy
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:25 AM   #3
sushi_78
Senior Hamster
 
sushi_78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: London
Posts: 569
Default Re: Calling gerbil people!

The Zeno 2 could work if you put something round the lower bars to raise the bedding a bit. I actually wanted to suggest that one on your thread on The Gerbil Forum (if a tank isn't possible), as it's cheaper and a bit bigger than the Furet, but wasn't sure if you already had the Furet and that's why you were wondering about using it? I would probably prefer the Furet or Zeno 2 to a Zoozone 2 personally, because although the floorspace is a bit smaller, the height is much better and I do find many gerbils really benefit from modest height for a bit of climbing. Not in the rat way, they won't use ropes or hammocks or anything like that, but they like ledges and shelves and grapevines etc.

I've actually bought a Zoozone myself now for hamsters, because it was on sale on Amazon, so when it arrives on Saturday I can let you know my thoughts on it for gerbils. Some breeders and rescues do use Duna or Zoozone type cages for gerbil litters because slightly shallower bedding (around 6 inches) can work better with pups, plus elderly and ailing gerbils often become less bothered about burrowing and happier to just have a big house to sleep in (though you can't tell "elderly" by the age alone, it's more a state of health, I've had 4.5 year old gerbils that still loved burrowing), but adult gerbils in the prime of life really do benefit from as deep bedding as possible which is why I have reservations about the Zoozone.
__________________
Bramble & Athena (Russian dwarfs) and Lily & Daisy (gerbils)
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
Engel
Hamster Overlord
 
Engel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 822
Default Re: Calling gerbil people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
There's a Savic Zeno 2 in Marlborough, Wiltshire on preloved for 30.
No idea if that's a big enough cage but if it is they may send it by courier? Just a thought.
Thanks Ria
__________________
🐹 1 ham, 🐶 2 dogs, 🐀 2 rats, 🐷 4 pigs. 🌈 Forever in my heart, 🐹 Lilith, Ghost, Nikolai and Athena 🐶 Beau ❤️
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #5
Engel
Hamster Overlord
 
Engel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 822
Default Re: Calling gerbil people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
The Zeno 2 could work if you put something round the lower bars to raise the bedding a bit. I actually wanted to suggest that one on your thread on The Gerbil Forum (if a tank isn't possible), as it's cheaper and a bit bigger than the Furet, but wasn't sure if you already had the Furet and that's why you were wondering about using it? I would probably prefer the Furet or Zeno 2 to a Zoozone 2 personally, because although the floorspace is a bit smaller, the height is much better and I do find many gerbils really benefit from modest height for a bit of climbing. Not in the rat way, they won't use ropes or hammocks or anything like that, but they like ledges and shelves and grapevines etc.

I've actually bought a Zoozone myself now for hamsters, because it was on sale on Amazon, so when it arrives on Saturday I can let you know my thoughts on it for gerbils. Some breeders and rescues do use Duna or Zoozone type cages for gerbil litters because slightly shallower bedding (around 6 inches) can work better with pups, plus elderly and ailing gerbils often become less bothered about burrowing and happier to just have a big house to sleep in (though you can't tell "elderly" by the age alone, it's more a state of health, I've had 4.5 year old gerbils that still loved burrowing), but adult gerbils in the prime of life really do benefit from as deep bedding as possible which is why I have reservations about the Zoozone.
I didn't know you where on the gerbil forum. What's your user? Yes I mentioned the furet because I have it. I have a similar one to it too but shorter. My question is won't they chew through the plastic as there's a lip where they can get their teeth into?

I have actually got them. I've blocked off with metal so they can't chew through. I've managed to get 10" of bedding in and they're loving it. I will admit I'm worried about them chewing the plastic on the furet type cages. If I knew 100% they wouldn't then I'd move them into that and block the bars to allow for more bedding. It's a difficult one.
__________________
🐹 1 ham, 🐶 2 dogs, 🐀 2 rats, 🐷 4 pigs. 🌈 Forever in my heart, 🐹 Lilith, Ghost, Nikolai and Athena 🐶 Beau ❤️
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #6
sushi_78
Senior Hamster
 
sushi_78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: London
Posts: 569
Default Re: Calling gerbil people!

I'm LilyandDaisy on the gerbil forum.

Chewing is a risk with any plastic cage. It won't always happen. Some gerbils will live their whole lives and never bother with plastic. With my first gerbils, before I knew better, I did keep one in a shallow-based plastic cage with not enough bedding for several months and he never chewed the base, though he did chew the bars. I have also kept gerbils in plastic cages temporarily sometimes and it's always been fine, but there is a risk, and once they've chewed enough that they can smell the outside world, they will definitely chew out completely.

I look forward to seeing your new gerbils!
__________________
Bramble & Athena (Russian dwarfs) and Lily & Daisy (gerbils)
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
Engel
Hamster Overlord
 
Engel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 822
Default Re: Calling gerbil people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
I'm LilyandDaisy on the gerbil forum.

Chewing is a risk with any plastic cage. It won't always happen. Some gerbils will live their whole lives and never bother with plastic. With my first gerbils, before I knew better, I did keep one in a shallow-based plastic cage with not enough bedding for several months and he never chewed the base, though he did chew the bars. I have also kept gerbils in plastic cages temporarily sometimes and it's always been fine, but there is a risk, and once they've chewed enough that they can smell the outside world, they will definitely chew out completely.

I look forward to seeing your new gerbils!
Oh my I didn't know that was you! Bless you for being so patient with my silly questions!
__________________
🐹 1 ham, 🐶 2 dogs, 🐀 2 rats, 🐷 4 pigs. 🌈 Forever in my heart, 🐹 Lilith, Ghost, Nikolai and Athena 🐶 Beau ❤️
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #8
sushi_78
Senior Hamster
 
sushi_78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: London
Posts: 569
Default Re: Calling gerbil people!

Please ask as many questions as you want. It's not quite as active as this forum but you'll always get an answer within a day or two. Due to the forum not being so active we actually love it when new members join and ask loads of questions.
__________________
Bramble & Athena (Russian dwarfs) and Lily & Daisy (gerbils)
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fill, gerbils, grooves, idea, issue

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.43 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2003-2020, Hobby Solutions
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41 PM.