Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Housing

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2022, 12:30 AM   #1
Tiffanyh
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: North east, England
Posts: 22
Default Pawhut cage

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if any has this pawhut cage and recommends it or know if it is any good?

My hamster is currently in a ritz cage and I think I want to upgrade him.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cage.JPG (118.8 KB, 18 views)
Tiffanyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:25 AM   #2
otto
Newborn Pup
 
otto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 17
Default Re: Pawhut cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffanyh View Post
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if any has this pawhut cage and recommends it or know if it is any good?

My hamster is currently in a ritz cage and I think I want to upgrade him.

Thanks!
Hi!
The pawhut comes in at just over 1000sq inches, so is a nice size. It also has a good height of 55cm allowing you to put in around 10-12inches of bedding, which is great!
You will need to buy plasticoat to seal the wood so no urine will seap into it, which could ruining your cage. Just beware that because itís made of wood there is a chewing risk and therefore chance of escape. However this is a low chance... but never 0
Itís a decent cage. You wonít be able to use the tray at the bottom however, as obviously the bedding will spill out, and with a cage of that height, you want to make use of what youíre given by putting in a ton of bedding. Bedding transforms a hamster. Theyíre so much more content when they can burrow. Also, when you set it up, donít add the platforms that come with it. Just make it so itís a wooden tank. You could always leave one of them in that acts as an underground platform to add heavy items too to ensure your hamster doesnít get crushed when burrowing, but apart from that, no, leave them out. All in all it seems like a great cage. Go on youtube to draw inspiration from how people have set their pawhuts up. Basically, treat it like any Niteangel setup or Ikea DIY. You can do it exactly the same, just that itís in a different frame.
__________________
Otto - Syrian (5 months old) - 1200sq inch cage
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:55 AM   #3
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 6,287
Default Re: Pawhut cage

Quite a few of my rescue hamsters were rehomed into pawhuts.

One lady adjusted the front panel by converting it into a removable slot in panel that slides in from above. The front access enables the hamster to come out and go straight into his freeroaming area and to go back in when he wants a sleep or snack.
__________________
Housemate of Rory & Rodney & Jack & Clive & Scottie
& lodger Finley
always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy and Gertie
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:27 AM   #4
sushi_78
Hamster Overlord
 
sushi_78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: London
Posts: 702
Default Re: Pawhut cage

I have recently bought that cage. I haven't assembled it but it seems reasonably good quality. As I bought it for gerbils I'm going to chew-proof the exposed wooden edges with aluminium sheet metal. I'm also going to paint it to protect it against moisture.
__________________
Bramble (Russian dwarf), Kebab (Syrian) and Tilly, Wispa, Astra & Twiglet (gerbils)
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:05 PM   #5
Tiffanyh
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: North east, England
Posts: 22
Default Re: Pawhut cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
Hi!
The pawhut comes in at just over 1000sq inches, so is a nice size. It also has a good height of 55cm allowing you to put in around 10-12inches of bedding, which is great!
You will need to buy plasticoat to seal the wood so no urine will seap into it, which could ruining your cage. Just beware that because itís made of wood there is a chewing risk and therefore chance of escape. However this is a low chance... but never 0
Itís a decent cage. You wonít be able to use the tray at the bottom however, as obviously the bedding will spill out, and with a cage of that height, you want to make use of what youíre given by putting in a ton of bedding. Bedding transforms a hamster. Theyíre so much more content when they can burrow. Also, when you set it up, donít add the platforms that come with it. Just make it so itís a wooden tank. You could always leave one of them in that acts as an underground platform to add heavy items too to ensure your hamster doesnít get crushed when burrowing, but apart from that, no, leave them out. All in all it seems like a great cage. Go on youtube to draw inspiration from how people have set their pawhuts up. Basically, treat it like any Niteangel setup or Ikea DIY. You can do it exactly the same, just that itís in a different frame.
Thank you for the info! I'm torn between the pawhut or an ikea detolf
Tiffanyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:07 PM   #6
Tiffanyh
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: North east, England
Posts: 22
Default Re: Pawhut cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Quite a few of my rescue hamsters were rehomed into pawhuts.

One lady adjusted the front panel by converting it into a removable slot in panel that slides in from above. The front access enables the hamster to come out and go straight into his freeroaming area and to go back in when he wants a sleep or snack.
I've seen someone else do that and I think it's a good idea, I might try that if I buy one. Thanks!
Tiffanyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:16 PM   #7
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 6,287
Default Re: Pawhut cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffanyh View Post
Thank you for the info! I'm torn between the pawhut or an ikea detolf
A detolf would be great for a dwarf but it's too low for a Syrian.
__________________
Housemate of Rory & Rodney & Jack & Clive & Scottie
& lodger Finley
always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy and Gertie
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:32 PM   #8
heidii
Hamster Pup
 
heidii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: England
Posts: 177
Default Re: Pawhut cage

Agree with Ria with the detolf. I have a Detolf for my Robo but my Syrian is way too big to comfortably travel through a Detolf. Could be that he is just a big boy since he's pedigree, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The Pawhut cage is good but I've seen on Facebook a few people talking about how the wood is considered "soft" and it seems to be a trend that female Syrian's like chewing their way out of it. That being said, many people really like this particular Pawhut cage. I wouldn't recommend using any of the levels, and definitely filling the bedding higher than the tray level.
heidii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:40 AM   #9
otto
Newborn Pup
 
otto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 17
Default Re: Pawhut cage

Yep I agree also. The height of it isn’t as much of an issue if you make a lid that curves upwards so your bedding can fill the to top of the glass and then all your items sit on top, but it’s still added effort and you’ve got to have full faith in the lid you make at keeping your hammy in. In my eyes another problem is the width. As Syrians can get large, the really small width has been known to stress them out as within in few steps they’re at the other side. It’s a bit of a small chute. I’d definitely try the pawhut. Or try the detolf, but with the understanding that they could get stressed and need an upgrade when they get older and a little bigger. If your syrian is happy in a detolf that is great, but yeah, as it stands they are pretty perfect for dwarfs instead.
__________________
Otto - Syrian (5 months old) - 1200sq inch cage
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:41 AM   #10
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2,502
Default Re: Pawhut cage

My friend has a male and a female syrian in her pawhuts (obviously separate pawhuts) just fine. I on the other hand have a crazy female syrian that will destroy anything given a chance and I would not risk putting her in a pawhut, i think it boils down to you knowing your hamster and what will work for you.

Have you thought of other ikea hacks, komplement, linnmon, pax or platsa?
__________________
Cosmic Hamsters YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cage, hamster, pawhut, ritz, upgrade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.43 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2003-2020, Hobby Solutions
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:09 AM.