Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Housing

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
Corbeens
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 92
Default Strength of the Alask

Hi! I really want to adopt a syrian after this whole lockdown is over, and I think the best option for me would be getting an Alaska. The only problem is, my bedroom is the only place I can have pets due to my mum's allergies (she approves of them as long as they stay in my room) but the only way I could fit it would be to stack cages. Can anyone say if the Alaska is able to hold the weight of a zoozone medium set up for a dwarf? Or if the alaska is light enough to be stacked on my kaze 138l box (i am worried about the strength of the box due to the meshed lid). On the kaze's description it says it's made for stacking but I don't know how far to trust it. Thank you for any help!

Worst case scenario, I wait until my brother moves out and I can move into his bigger room lol (in around September).
Corbeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
cypher
Dwarf whisperer
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 24,795
Default Re: Strength of the Alask

The alaska defitely doesn have the strongest bars so I wouldn't put anything on top of it, any cage is heavy once filled withsubstrate. Could you get a shejving unit & stack them that way?
__________________
Slave to Zak.
Always loved, never forgotten, forever in my heart
T'ycor, Ziggy, Zephyr, Flynt, Mickle, Little Whisp, Zen, Zeki, Tinwë, Zylvan, Míriel, Calyanwë, Gusto & Meri
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #3
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 7,080
Default Re: Strength of the Alask

Ikea does a sturdy coffee table with a shelf that would work for two hamster cages....once Ikea is open again.....
__________________
Housemate of Rodney & Jack & Clive & Scottie & Finley and lodger Bernard

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy, Gertie and Rory
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
Corbeens
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 92
Default Re: Strength of the Alask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Ikea does a sturdy coffee table with a shelf that would work for two hamster cages....once Ikea is open again.....
thank you for the idea! Do you perhaps remember the name?
Corbeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 7,080
Default Re: Strength of the Alask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbeens View Post
thank you for the idea! Do you perhaps remember the name?
FJÄLLBO 90cm x 46cm £55. Its in my lounge but i'm at work or i'd measure the distance between shelf and table top. I can measure it tomorrow when i get home and let you know.

I have the Alaska but don't think its strong enough to carry the weight of another cage on top of it.

I think that Ikea table would work with the Alaska on top and something like the Hamster Heaven on the shelf.
__________________
Housemate of Rodney & Jack & Clive & Scottie & Finley and lodger Bernard

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy, Gertie and Rory
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
Corbeens
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 92
Default Re: Strength of the Alask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
FJÄLLBO 90cm x 46cm £55. Its in my lounge but i'm at work or i'd measure the distance between shelf and table top. I can measure it tomorrow when i get home and let you know.

I have the Alaska but don't think its strong enough to carry the weight of another cage on top of it.

I think that Ikea table would work with the Alaska on top and something like the Hamster Heaven on the shelf.
Thank you! I actually love the design of the table, and I can see myself getting it when I move into a bigger room as it fits my overall colour scheme quite nicely!
Corbeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #7
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 7,080
Default Re: Strength of the Alask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbeens View Post
Thank you! I actually love the design of the table, and I can see myself getting it when I move into a bigger room as it fits my overall colour scheme quite nicely!
The distance from shelf to underside of table top is only 32cm so that wouldn't work for a hamster haven but the shelf itself could be left out so a cage could sit on the floor. Or get a table without a shelf, put the Alaska on top and another cage underneath.
You'll have to do some measuring but it can be done.
Serendipity has two large cages on a similar piece of furniture but i don't know what kind of table or shelving unit it is.
__________________
Housemate of Rodney & Jack & Clive & Scottie & Finley and lodger Bernard

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy, Gertie and Rory
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
Corbeens
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 92
Default Re: Strength of the Alask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
The distance from shelf to underside of table top is only 32cm so that wouldn't work for a hamster haven but the shelf itself could be left out so a cage could sit on the floor. Or get a table without a shelf, put the Alaska on top and another cage underneath.
You'll have to do some measuring but it can be done.
Serendipity has two large cages on a similar piece of furniture but i don't know what kind of table or shelving unit it is.

Even just one cage on top of it would be great )
Corbeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #9
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 7,080
Default Re: Strength of the Alask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbeens View Post
Even just one cage on top of it would be great )
In that case i'd recommend this Ikea table. It is a sturdy and practical table.
__________________
Housemate of Rodney & Jack & Clive & Scottie & Finley and lodger Bernard

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy, Gertie and Rory
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:56 AM   #10
Engel
Hamster Addict
 
Engel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 922
Default Re: Strength of the Alask

My Alaska is under my zoozone 2 and perfectly fine. I'd say try it but remove everything from the zoozone first (except bedding) and see how much the bars bow. You'll have a better idea then
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alaska, room, due, strength, box, kazes, light, stacked, description, 138l, meshed, worried, made, lid, kaze, move, moves, brother, september, lol, bigger, wait, scenario, trust, dwarf

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.43 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2003-2022, Hobby Solutions
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:21 AM.