Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Species > Dwarf Winter White Russian Hamster

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2022, 04:59 PM   #101
ilguy
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: IL
Posts: 230
Default Re: Meet Cupcake

I wish I had more content to share, but Cupcake has been in the same routine this week. She hops on for my hand for a few seconds, and then goes to pouch some food. She's also moved her wake up time from 9 to 11 pm, so I rarely see her now. But she is healthy, and seems really relaxed the few times I catch her out and about. Without fail, I do hear her rolling in her sand bath through the night, plus the pitter patter of the old wheel.

I will keep offering the taxi, and try to take a step forward with taming when I can. She hasn't taken me up on it yet, and that's okay. I'm just glad she's healthy and coming out again. Maybe when she escaped under the door that one time it scared her more than I thought, and the new wheel was just a bit too much on top of it? It still feels weird since she was so confident and lively, her personality was always much bigger than her size.

I might try a special treat this weekend, my local pet store got in some fresh mealworms. If I stay up and offer her one, maybe she'll start accepting my hand as a source of positive interaction again.
ilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:24 PM   #102
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Meet Cupcake

Our hamsters have been getting up a lot later as well. I think it is a seasonal thing.

Make sure that you take the live mealworm's head off before giving it to Cupcake. They can bite.

I've never fed live food but have read this on here.
__________________
Housemate of Rory & Rodney & Jack & Clive & Scottie & Finley

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy and Gertie
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #103
ilguy
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: IL
Posts: 230
Default Re: Meet Cupcake

Time to give an overdue update on little Cupcake. She is alive and well, but has become something of a ghost hamster in regards to human interaction. I've only seen her above surface twice the past two weeks. Once for an early snack, the other she scurried away off the wheel, she must have thought I was already asleep.

I tried setting out a de-headed live mealworm by the entrance to her burrow, and still found it wriggling around. I also found a tin of dead (but not dried) mealworms, and she didn't take those either. Nor will a sunflower seed be accepted as a treat from me, they're always still sitting there where I set them. All attempts at interaction fail, and she will click at me to tell me to leave. No dice with the hamster taxi either.

But she is as active and lively as ever, its handy she loves the sandbath so much. I can hear her going nuts in it from my bedroom, plus the old wheel squeaking along. No problems with her appetite and she's still drinking just fine. She is still quite a queen, last night I heard something loud banging around her bin. In the morning I saw that she had flipped her house a good deal to make a tunnel underneath.

I do hope one day she might be open to interaction again, I guess that escape from under the bedroom door + changing the wheel really bothered her that much. I'm thinking of finally getting a wyze camera for some overnight footage, and getting that Detolf for her. I didn't want to rush a new space while she was peeved, but maybe extra room will do her some good! She sure sounds as adventurous as ever overnight.

I may also get a second hamster to utilize the old bin & unused wheel and toys. Cupcake's new digs will be in the quietest part of my place, and I'm going to add some extra toys & hides for a busier surface as well. If I can rig it safely, I might add a ramp to the Detolf and give Cupcake the option to explore a cordoned off area on her own terms if she wants. Maybe being in a neutral space she will be willing to interact again as well.
ilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:34 PM   #104
cloudy
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
cloudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,674
Default Re: Meet Cupcake

Is is nice to read an update on Cupcake. Maybe Cupcake is not interacting with you so much because she is settled and happy and feels okay on her own? I would not think it is down to you changing her wheel.

I think the idea of getting a camera is great as you will be able to see everything she gets up to. I bet she will love the changes you are planning.
__________________
Guardian of Orko the robo.
cloudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:05 PM   #105
ilguy
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: IL
Posts: 230
Default Re: Meet Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy View Post
Is is nice to read an update on Cupcake. Maybe Cupcake is not interacting with you so much because she is settled and happy and feels okay on her own? I would not think it is down to you changing her wheel.

I think the idea of getting a camera is great as you will be able to see everything she gets up to. I bet she will love the changes you are planning.
If there's one thing I know for sure about Cupcake, it's that she's always feeling okay on her own.

I know it's selfish of me, but I would like to interact with her just a bit again. Those few minutes of hamster time are so precious!
ilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:29 PM   #106
cloudy
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
cloudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,674
Default Re: Meet Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilguy View Post
If there's one thing I know for sure about Cupcake, it's that she's always feeling okay on her own.

I know it's selfish of me, but I would like to interact with her just a bit again. Those few minutes of hamster time are so precious!
I do not think that is selfish at all. You had such a wonderful bond with Pearl and it looked like Cupcake was wanting the same level of interaction.
__________________
Guardian of Orko the robo.
cloudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #107
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Meet Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilguy View Post
If there's one thing I know for sure about Cupcake, it's that she's always feeling okay on her own.

I know it's selfish of me, but I would like to interact with her just a bit again. Those few minutes of hamster time are so precious!
I've thought about what you said about Cupcake always feeling ok on her own. I had a hamster like that. And foster Robo Finley is like that. They don't need physical contact with humans because they can get everything they want within their habitats.

The rest of the hamsters want me because they need me to get them out of their cages and into the free roaming area.

They want and need my partner to serve them up porridge.

I'm under no illusion that they'd want me for me. There's usually a motive behind them seeking human contact.

I think your Pearl was an exception, same as my Edwina. They actually sought out our company because they wanted to be with us, with or without treats or out of cage time.

I find that hamsters change as they age. They become more affectionate towards their human companions.

This is only an observation i made based on my experiences with our hamsters and other people's hamsters could behave completely differently.

I don't know why Cupcake used to interact but doesn't at the moment. All i'm pointing out is that she's acting like a typical and content hamster who is very happy with her lot.

Getting a second hamster is a good idea once Cupcake moves into a detolf. It really would be a shame to let the bin cage and niteangel wheel and your offer of great hamster care go to waste knowing fine that there are plenty of little hamsters out there waiting for their chance of a good life.
__________________
Housemate of Rory & Rodney & Jack & Clive & Scottie & Finley

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy and Gertie
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:12 PM   #108
ilguy
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: IL
Posts: 230
Default Re: Meet Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I've thought about what you said about Cupcake always feeling ok on her own. I had a hamster like that. And foster Robo Finley is like that. They don't need physical contact with humans because they can get everything they want within their habitats.

The rest of the hamsters want me because they need me to get them out of their cages and into the free roaming area.

They want and need my partner to serve them up porridge.

I'm under no illusion that they'd want me for me. There's usually a motive behind them seeking human contact.

I think your Pearl was an exception, same as my Edwina. They actually sought out our company because they wanted to be with us, with or without treats or out of cage time.

I find that hamsters change as they age. They become more affectionate towards their human companions.

This is only an observation i made based on my experiences with our hamsters and other people's hamsters could behave completely differently.

I don't know why Cupcake used to interact but doesn't at the moment. All i'm pointing out is that she's acting like a typical and content hamster who is very happy with her lot.

Getting a second hamster is a good idea once Cupcake moves into a detolf. It really would be a shame to let the bin cage and niteangel wheel and your offer of great hamster care go to waste knowing fine that there are plenty of little hamsters out there waiting for their chance of a good life.
I think you're right about all of this ria, and as always thanks a ton for sharing your knowledge. What do you think about giving Cupcake the option to explore a little area on her own? I could easily make a ramp for her to get into a play area when she feels like it.

She is as definitely healthy and active as ever at night. I might take the opportunity to switch her castle hide for a different one once the Detolf is here, she's been flipping and banging it around a good deal.

Do they seek out time for petting? I remember you tame your hamsters without treats. Maybe I had the wrong idea about hamsters, but I was hoping to get some time with little Cupcake daily. Those few minutes each night were so precious.
ilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:02 AM   #109
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Meet Cupcake

I believe that there are hamsters who seek out humans to get petted but i have not much personal experience of that.

All the hamsters i've ever met are constantly on the move. When i lift them out their little legs go like mad wanting to run around and when i place them on my lap they won't sit still for long.
Jack is a big calm hamster and i take advantage of that. I hold him for a bit and stroke him but as soon as i put him down he's off to explore.

Rodney is old and unwell now so he comes and sits by his door sometimes for a chat and stroke. I think he's looking for reassurance but that's another story.

I'm just thinking that you could start a thread to find out if people on here have hamsters who like and ask to get petted.
__________________
Housemate of Rory & Rodney & Jack & Clive & Scottie & Finley

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy and Gertie
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:05 AM   #110
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Meet Cupcake

As for the ramp and play area question, i have no idea if Cupcake would like that or not. You'd need to try it out.

Can't quite see how you would do that. A detolf needs a meshed lid so how would that work with a ramp?
__________________
Housemate of Rory & Rodney & Jack & Clive & Scottie & Finley

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy and Gertie
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bin, cupcake, late, meet, shes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.43 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2003-2020, Hobby Solutions
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 AM.