Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Species > Dwarf Roborovskis Hamster

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2022, 02:50 AM   #11
cloudy
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
cloudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,740
Default Re: Robo science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
There's one on wild European hamsters, the big black bellied ones. It was part of a nature programme but not The Blue Planet. We talked about it on here but i have forgotten the name of the programme. Somebody may remember and i'm going to try and find it. It was short but brilliant.

Thank you for this very interesting article on Robos.
Thank you. I will try to look that up.

You are very welcome.
__________________
Guardian of Orko the robo.
cloudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:43 AM   #12
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 6,862
Default Re: Robo science

Found the programme. I think they were in Episode 5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220707-114002_Samsung Internet.jpg (120.4 KB, 7 views)
__________________
Housemate of Rory & Rodney & Jack & Clive & Scottie & Finley

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy and Gertie
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:29 AM   #13
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 23,454
Default Re: Robo science

Cloudy, as well as that programme about European hamsters, there was a great BBC series narrated by David Tenant - it was about many pets, but the hamster sections are on youtube. There are three of them on the link below. I am sure there was a bit showing robos in the wild. But they are really excellent videos and funny! It's the "Wild at Heart" series. There are 6 links from it on that page link below. John Downer productions is the last one (wacky races) - he was part of the Wild at Heart series. The European Hamster link that Ria linked is also on that page.

Pip doesn't come out in the day (except mornings) - our first robo was the one that would be out and about in the day. It varies. It is common for robos to come out in the day though - in a domesticated setting. Some depends on personality. For example - if you feed them something tasty and smelly at lunch time, they'll come out at lunch time probably! You could try split feeding - veg at lunch time and hamster mix and an "extra" early evening.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...-+david+tenant

The Wacky Races one is about Robos. Bear in mind they don't seem to know much about pairs! And make light of the squabble in the wheel. Not great. But it's still an interesting video. The photography on all the videos is fantastic! I forget how they did it but it's really close up. Hidden cameras I think. It includes x ray photography too.

The videos are very educational in places re anatomy. Although I remember at the time people being dubious about hamster sonar helping them stop at heights. (we have all had a hamster jump from a height!). I do think they have a kind of sonar though.
__________________

Last edited by Serendipity7000; 07-07-2022 at 05:39 AM.
Serendipity7000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:40 AM   #14
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 23,454
Default Re: Robo science

This is the one about Robos in the wild

Roborovski hamsters - BBC 'Wild China' - YouTube

There's also this Rodipet video about Syrians living in the wild in Syria. At one time Rodipet used to do research projects.

Goldhamster in Syrien 2010 - YouTube

Hamster in the Wild (I believe this was recorded in Germany)

Wild European Hamster Courtship - YouTube

Black bellied hamster digging a burrow (the wild hamsters are much bigger).

Black Bellied Hamster 1 - YouTube

The black bellied hamster is the European wild hamster. I think they're mainly in Belgium but some in Germany. Endangered species now. I think they're also in Ukraine and Russia.

European hamster added to '''critically endangered''' list - BBC News
__________________

Last edited by Serendipity7000; 07-07-2022 at 05:59 AM.
Serendipity7000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:34 AM   #15
cloudy
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
cloudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,740
Default Re: Robo science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Found the programme. I think they were in Episode 5.
Thank you, Ria. I have been watching clips on youtube.
__________________
Guardian of Orko the robo.
cloudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:36 AM   #16
cloudy
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
cloudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,740
Default Re: Robo science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Cloudy, as well as that programme about European hamsters, there was a great BBC series narrated by David Tenant - it was about many pets, but the hamster sections are on youtube. There are three of them on the link below. I am sure there was a bit showing robos in the wild. But they are really excellent videos and funny! It's the "Wild at Heart" series. There are 6 links from it on that page link below. John Downer productions is the last one (wacky races) - he was part of the Wild at Heart series. The European Hamster link that Ria linked is also on that page.

Pip doesn't come out in the day (except mornings) - our first robo was the one that would be out and about in the day. It varies. It is common for robos to come out in the day though - in a domesticated setting. Some depends on personality. For example - if you feed them something tasty and smelly at lunch time, they'll come out at lunch time probably! You could try split feeding - veg at lunch time and hamster mix and an "extra" early evening.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...-+david+tenant

The Wacky Races one is about Robos. Bear in mind they don't seem to know much about pairs! And make light of the squabble in the wheel. Not great. But it's still an interesting video. The photography on all the videos is fantastic! I forget how they did it but it's really close up. Hidden cameras I think. It includes x ray photography too.

The videos are very educational in places re anatomy. Although I remember at the time people being dubious about hamster sonar helping them stop at heights. (we have all had a hamster jump from a height!). I do think they have a kind of sonar though.
Thank you very much for the links. I actually watched it when it was first on.

I remember the guinea pig part was awful and really poor care. I can quite see why the squabble in the wheel is controversial.

I fed Orko carrot for the first time yesterday. He still did not come out until 10PM. Maybe in winter he will come out a bit earlier as it will be darker.
__________________
Guardian of Orko the robo.
cloudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:39 AM   #17
cloudy
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
cloudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,740
Default Re: Robo science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
This is the one about Robos in the wild

Roborovski hamsters - BBC 'Wild China' - YouTube

There's also this Rodipet video about Syrians living in the wild in Syria. At one time Rodipet used to do research projects.

Goldhamster in Syrien 2010 - YouTube

Hamster in the Wild (I believe this was recorded in Germany)

Wild European Hamster Courtship - YouTube

Black bellied hamster digging a burrow (the wild hamsters are much bigger).

Black Bellied Hamster 1 - YouTube

The black bellied hamster is the European wild hamster. I think they're mainly in Belgium but some in Germany. Endangered species now. I think they're also in Ukraine and Russia.

European hamster added to '''critically endangered''' list - BBC News
I really appreciate you finding me these. Thank you.
__________________
Guardian of Orko the robo.
cloudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #18
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 6,862
Default Re: Robo science

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy View Post
I fed Orko carrot for the first time yesterday. He still did not come out until 10PM. Maybe in winter he will come out a bit earlier as it will be darker.
I have the same issue at the moment. The first one wants to come out to play around 20.30!! Used to be 18.30. The clock going forward put them all wrong and then the light evenings added another hour.
You should see more of Orko later in the year. Also, by that time he'll be well settled in and around during the day as well. Robos really can take months rather than weeks to grow in confidence.
__________________
Housemate of Rory & Rodney & Jack & Clive & Scottie & Finley

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy and Gertie
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:48 AM   #19
cloudy
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
cloudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,740
Default Re: Robo science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I have the same issue at the moment. The first one wants to come out to play around 20.30!! Used to be 18.30. The clock going forward put them all wrong and then the light evenings added another hour.
You should see more of Orko later in the year. Also, by that time he'll be well settled in and around during the day as well. Robos really can take months rather than weeks to grow in confidence.
That is quite a difference in the time your hamster comes out now. It is really bright here until around 9.30 I imagine it is too bright for hamsters who prefer the dark.

I would so love Orko to come out in the day. I would love to get a clear picture of him.
__________________
Guardian of Orko the robo.
cloudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:34 AM   #20
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 6,862
Default Re: Robo science

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy View Post
That is quite a difference in the time your hamster comes out now. It is really bright here until around 9.30 I imagine it is too bright for hamsters who prefer the dark.

I would so love Orko to come out in the day. I would love to get a clear picture of him.
You could do some spotcleaning during the day or take his wheel out for a quick wipe over, then put it back. It may get him up to investigate.
__________________
Housemate of Rory & Rodney & Jack & Clive & Scottie & Finley

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy and Gertie
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
case, hamsters, link, read, robo

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.43 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2003-2020, Hobby Solutions
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:21 AM.