Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Species > Dwarf Roborovskis Hamster

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2022, 07:50 AM   #21
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 23,533
Default Re: Little Pico

Sorry - just noticed there is a sand bath already. The sand looks very orange! Assume it's safe sand? Maybe it's childrens play sand?
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 02:59 PM   #22
heidii
Hamster Pup
 
heidii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: England
Posts: 229
Default Re: Little Pico

The sand is a Reptisand without any calcium. Very safe for hamsters and the best I've tried personally. Bit on the more expensive side but has been reliable for me.

His wheels coming tomorrow, and he has quite a few hides in his cage now.
heidii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:49 PM   #23
arnoldshirl
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 88
Default Re: Little Pico

Pico is a adorable!!
What you're using for sand IS safe. I have used it prior and my Roborovski Dwarf Hamster enjoyed it. Now I'm using Zoo Med Reptifresh White and it contains no chemicals or dyes either and she seems to enjoy using it in her bath house. I'm never going to use children's Play Sand ever again because it is way too dusty and caused her one eye to crust shut.
arnoldshirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 04:55 AM   #24
heidii
Hamster Pup
 
heidii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: England
Posts: 229
Default Re: Little Pico

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldshirl View Post
Pico is a adorable!!
What you're using for sand IS safe. I have used it prior and my Roborovski Dwarf Hamster enjoyed it. Now I'm using Zoo Med Reptifresh White and it contains no chemicals or dyes either and she seems to enjoy using it in her bath house. I'm never going to use children's Play Sand ever again because it is way too dusty and caused her one eye to crust shut.
I'm sure SOME childrens play sand works well for hamsters, but it's SO widely recommended and people don't talk about the effort needed for it. Reptisand/Exo Terra sand is safe for hamsters for as long as there is no added calcium or dyes, despite its red appearance.
heidii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 05:41 AM   #25
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 7,103
Default Re: Little Pico

Pico is so cute. Just look at those ears!
__________________
Housemate of Clive & Finley & Bernard & Lilly & Eddie & Otto

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy, Gertie, Rory, Rodney, Scottie and Jack
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:37 AM   #26
heidii
Hamster Pup
 
heidii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: England
Posts: 229
Default Re: Little Pico

Yes, I can't help but gush over him. I really thought my heart laid with Syrians but this Robo may be a bit hard to "rehome". Though, not sure how good of a hamster-rescue I'll be doing if the first hamster I take in ends up as a foster-fail.
I've noticed he loves his sand bath, but I'm not sure if that's because it's easier for him to do his little spins on, over the fluffy paper bedding. Neptr had trampled his paper bedding down, so his burrows hold better, but I think little Pico might just be too little to do that. Pico seems to also want to burrow "into his sand". I have a little sand bath from Trixie, which would hold a bit, but I would worry about him not being able to climb back out.
heidii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:46 AM   #27
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 7,103
Default Re: Little Pico

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidii View Post
Yes, I can't help but gush over him. I really thought my heart laid with Syrians but this Robo may be a bit hard to "rehome". Though, not sure how good of a hamster-rescue I'll be doing if the first hamster I take in ends up as a foster-fail.
I've noticed he loves his sand bath, but I'm not sure if that's because it's easier for him to do his little spins on, over the fluffy paper bedding. Neptr had trampled his paper bedding down, so his burrows hold better, but I think little Pico might just be too little to do that. Pico seems to also want to burrow "into his sand". I have a little sand bath from Trixie, which would hold a bit, but I would worry about him not being able to climb back out.
Haha, i ended up with a house full of adoption failures.

You could add an access ramp, twig, bendy bridge to the sand bath if you think he couldn't climb back out.
__________________
Housemate of Clive & Finley & Bernard & Lilly & Eddie & Otto

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy, Gertie, Rory, Rodney, Scottie and Jack
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:58 AM   #28
heidii
Hamster Pup
 
heidii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: England
Posts: 229
Default Re: Little Pico

I'll definitely do that. He seems to just be spending all his time hiding behind the little coconut hut that I have in his sand bath.
heidii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:06 AM   #29
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 7,103
Default Re: Little Pico

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidii View Post
I'll definitely do that. He seems to just be spending all his time hiding behind the little coconut hut that I have in his sand bath.
He's probably traumatised from his previous home and hiding. He may well take a long time to start to relax and trust humans. He had been there for a while and a hamster ball alone is awful but getting chased by a dog must have been extremely stressful and scary.

Took our Rodney six weeks to learn to trust. He was also traumatised by his first home but luckily he hadn't been there for long so recovered.
__________________
Housemate of Clive & Finley & Bernard & Lilly & Eddie & Otto

always in my thoughts Percy, Henry, Gordon, Edwina, Clarissa, Betsy, Ozzy, Monty, Romy, Gertie, Rory, Rodney, Scottie and Jack
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 12:45 PM   #30
heidii
Hamster Pup
 
heidii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: England
Posts: 229
Default Re: Little Pico

I am still a bit worried. Put his new wheel in and had intentions of just leaving him at about 1PM. He woke up because of all the noise, crawled out of his bedding and then went straight over to his sand. He hid under his coconut hide in the sand bath for a while, but would spin a bit.
Came back from work at about 8:30PM, and he is still in his sand bath, circling. I think I might get a baby camera just to see if he's none stop doing it.
heidii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bedding, cage, good, hamster, shavings

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.43 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2003-2022, Hobby Solutions
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49 PM.