PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear think Gizmo is a girl!!

RachK
08-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Hi Everyone,

Since having Huxley we noticed he is much larger than Gizmo. Huxley has very visible boy parts, very visible they really stick out at the back. LOL! :mad:
Also Huxley's scent gland is easy to see and oozes, now & then & then he has that dry patch on his belly.

The whole time John has had Gizmo I have tried to see a scent gland but can't see it to be honest. He has no visible parts like Huxley & his hole at the bottom looks larger maybe two close together? John had just tried to look but he is so hard to hold upside down as he wriggles so much.

Obviously it was never really on our mind but since getting Huxley it has niggled us both a bit.

Now the breeder always sexes them before they go to the Pet Shop but maybe he made a mistake with Gizmo. John bought him anyway the day he arrived there so had no time to interact with his cage mates.

Any advice? Anyone got experience in sexing WW's?:o

HamstersAreHardcore
08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
im not that qualified for this but if you dont see two pink circles at the bottom then its a girl :) The way i work simplified :P

princess-rhi89
08-18-2010, 02:29 PM
If its the same as other dwarfs then the best person to ask is mick :)

stellanova1
08-18-2010, 02:35 PM
My vet sexed my Tubs an Skinny free of charge..we thought they were boys but turned out they were both girls! it took some getting used to lol! maybe your vet would check free of charge too?

Katty_Sheldon
08-18-2010, 03:52 PM
The scent gland is really visible and sometimes yellow with the boys. Its really there, and i can see the boy parts a little bit - but i could not see them in my previous male hamster so much. Both of them were male winter whites and they had visible scent glands. I go by that:) good luck!

RachK
08-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
Well we have looked around on the internet & we found an old thread on here with pictures. Yep Gizmo is now Gizmona. lol :) There is definitely no scent gland.

John went with my Mum & Dad to buy Gizmona. :) He only just told me last night that that day there was only one cage with the hammies in & he just picked one. He can't remember asking the sex, just assumed. Normally Dave (the pet shop owner) separates them into two cages.

Poor Gizzy calling her a boy for a year. John's not bothered its just going to take a while to get used to calling him a her! :)

Gizzy is much more hyper than Huxley & can see how all her traits point to being a girl anyway.

Hope
08-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Sorry Rach this has made me smile and chuckle this morning!! :lol:

Poor old Giz!!! I was going to say that Boz's manley bits arent all that noticeable but his scent glad definetley is, but it looks like you have it all sorted now!!

Poor Gizzy, she has been trying to let her female ways shine through!! Bless her!!

internet_nobody
08-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Poor Gizzy! I'm sure she won't really mind. When I got my first robos years back I was told they were boys and didn't think to question it. I only checked about 6 months down the line when I took one to the vets and they asked what sex they were, so I said we think they're boys but i'll check...and they weren't :P

RachK
08-19-2010, 01:26 AM
Look how petite & pretty I am. I've been trying to tell you both for the past 12 months. :mad:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb138/RachK_album/Gizmo/FatPie.jpg

That's why I asked on a thread when I first joined about Huxley's scent gland I thought there was something wrong with him when it was wet on his belly! Of course never had it with Gizzy! Doh!
These amateurs honestly!

Just as well they can't live together!!

Katty_Sheldon
08-19-2010, 01:39 AM
Ooooh such a cute hammie, god how i love dwarf hamsters...specially winter whites!

Hope
08-19-2010, 01:42 AM
Aww, that pic with the caption made me lol so much - bless her little heart!!!

fluffymunchkins
08-19-2010, 05:27 AM
:mad: Poor Gizzy, you were trying to make it obvious all along!
Thats why i checked Treo at the pet shop, i never checked Peggy until she was like 2 years old but luckily turns out my pet shop normally gets it right :)

Porridge was known as a girl for the first 4 months of his life, his manly appearance went down the drain :p

Amethyst_ice
08-19-2010, 05:51 AM
aww love the pic :) is that a cambridge she is in? i always thought i couldnt get robos etc because all my spare cages are 1cm barring.....slightly excited now.. ;) hehe jk x

fluffymunchkins
08-19-2010, 06:14 AM
winterwhite are ok in 1cm bars, unfortunately robos aren't :(

Hope
08-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Yeah you could have a little Boris Nat . . . .! :-)

RachK
08-19-2010, 07:22 AM
aww love the pic :) is that a cambridge she is in? i always thought i couldnt get robos etc because all my spare cages are 1cm barring.....slightly excited now.. ;) hehe jk x

She was in this at first but is now in a Peggy Metro. Fudge has the Cambridge now. Funny though, as since we moved her in the Metro the bar chewing as stopped. Strange?? She seems really settled in it & even bombs up the tubes.

Hope
08-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Weird maybe a cage can be too big for osome of our little friends??