PDA

View Full Version : Meet Tom & Jerry :)

louisbs
08-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I have had this pair since april this year :)
They are very sweet.. but amazingly fast lol
Had an escape a few days ago.. I had one out and was having a play.. little thing ran under my bed & then under the wardrobe.. in the end i found him in a shoe.

Anyway here are some pics, Like every other hammy on the planet.. its difficult to get a pic unless there doing something :)

http://spider.xzibition.com/~squeege/jpg/P1070541.JPG

http://spider.xzibition.com/~squeege/jpg/P1070421.jpg

http://spider.xzibition.com/~squeege/jpg/P1100506.JPG

ladyjulie
08-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Awwwww so sweet :)

wofunny
08-17-2010, 04:41 PM
What cuties :) x

RachK
08-18-2010, 01:38 AM
So cute. Love the was they are together on two of the pics. :)

princess-rhi89
08-18-2010, 01:39 AM
Awww they are adorable :) x

Hope
08-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Hehe! Love the last photo of the one on the right delving into the food, bowl leggies dangling!!

fluffymunchkins
08-18-2010, 08:24 AM
They are very cute, and very spoiled by the sounds of it :D

louisbs
08-18-2010, 10:33 AM
To be truthful... I spend more money on my hams then i do myself lol
Forever buying them new toys and treats :)
They cheer me up after a bad day.. so why not :D

ameyjaney
08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
They are gorgeous :)

louisbs
08-21-2010, 04:34 PM
I can now shake my hands with sunflower seeds in and they come running :D

louisbs
08-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Just to show they have been together all there life. Heres an older pic of them in there SMALL cage...

http://spider.xzibition.com/~squeege/jpg/oldcage.jpg

I also found this of one of them from a while ago :D

http://spider.xzibition.com/~squeege/jpg/veryyoung.jpg

Very teeny tiny :@)

mangoandmimi
08-21-2010, 05:19 PM
very cute XD always loved chineses but too overrun with hamsters XD

Christmas_hamster
08-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Aww they're adorable! :D

annie81
08-22-2010, 05:31 AM
awww...they are gorgeous

louisbs
10-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Woot moved a shelf on the cage :)
Mini spinners were getting small for them.
Now I have managed to fit 2 6.5" spinners :)

Humphrey Furball
10-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Aww they're cute, and they look like they are the best of friends, unlike their namesakes!

KutButLykee
10-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Aww i Love chinese Hams! They have the own special kind of Beauty, i nearly mistakes then for Russian Dawrfs in the First pics! Silly Me. But good luck with them there gorg xxx

Adam
10-01-2010, 10:58 AM
They are so cute!
I wish I didn't have to separate my Chineses when I had them but it doesn't always work out, you're so lucky xD

louisbs
10-07-2010, 03:01 PM
They have been together with me since march this year.. so passed the 6 month maturity threshold. There has been zero i repeat zero squabbles :D
Considering a lot of the info i read state there to be only 1 level for there cage, i keep mine in a large leon 3 tier cage which is bigger than honeys westminster cage. http://theonlinepetstore.co.uk/prod_show.asp?id=1793&ref=froogle&prodid=1793

Hope
10-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Thats amazing Louis, its so rare to get two that will be ok together and that cage goes against what most would reccomend for a pair, but hey, if it works for them and they are happy :-) Thats what matters! :-)

nomnomnom<3
11-21-2010, 06:41 PM
awwwuhhhh there so cut i have two female chinese there names are mini and cookie mini is dominant and cookie is normal i love them to death

louisbs
12-05-2010, 09:19 AM
ok the time is just after 4pm and they are both awake.. very odd lol.. not used to seeing/hearing them till gone midnight.

AudioHeart
12-05-2010, 02:09 PM
What sweeties :)

Malorey
12-06-2010, 06:23 PM
I just love their names! :D
They're lovely.

Podling
12-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Very cute indeed! :D

racinghamster
12-11-2010, 10:31 AM
It`s so nice to have a pair live together. I would love to have a single male Chinese one day perhaps through word of mouth where one needs a new home. I`ve had a pair of Roborovskis in the past (seperated for fighting :rolleyes:) and a single russian dwarf who was a great little guy. The Chinese hamster appeals to me because they seem more `mouse` like and since I keep a few mice as pets, I have decided that a chinese would suit me. I`ll be keeping my eyes open for a rescue one! They never seem to be available in Central Scotland unless you buy from Pets At Home, which is`nt my plan. I much rather prefer to give a good forever home to a needy rodent that someone can`t keep anymore.

Your lads are lovely louisbs. That`s a decent sized cage they have there too! A Hagen? I bet they whizz around it going up and down the ramps! :)

louisbs
12-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Its a leon cage.. its huge.. Just slightly bigger than a 130l plastic bin but Yeh they do wizz about in it :)
I am suprised they are still happy together to be honest, reading about how they can claim a floor and not let the other one on it, etc. I have had zero issues. If they need time apart.. they have the space.. One sleeps in the little wooden house and the other in a shoe on the bottom floor.
As I type they are both sat in a cushy corner :D they look so sweet.

KatiePillow
12-11-2010, 12:26 PM
It`s so nice to have a pair live together. I would love to have a single male Chinese one day perhaps through word of mouth where one needs a new home. I`ve had a pair of Roborovskis in the past (seperated for fighting :rolleyes:) and a single russian dwarf who was a great little guy. The Chinese hamster appeals to me because they seem more `mouse` like and since I keep a few mice as pets, I have decided that a chinese would suit me. I`ll be keeping my eyes open for a rescue one! They never seem to be available in Central Scotland unless you buy from Pets At Home, which is`nt my plan. I much rather prefer to give a good forever home to a needy rodent that someone can`t keep anymore.

Your lads are lovely louisbs. That`s a decent sized cage they have there too! A Hagen? I bet they whizz around it going up and down the ramps! :)

There were those two chineses and a gerbil available on spca? or something like that.. :p

louisbs
12-11-2010, 12:41 PM
never noticed the copy & paste :o

KatiePillow
12-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Does the like..back end of your hamsters bother you? I'm just curious..I really kinda want a chinese hamster >.< And I assume that you'd get used to the bottom..but I was just curious? :)

louisbs
12-11-2010, 03:47 PM
I see them as just well endowed :) Could you imagine if humans were in the same proportion :o
I want to get a boy syrian too.. wonder if they are different temperament to girls.. honey is manic sometimes lol

KatiePillow
12-11-2010, 03:49 PM
lol..I'm glad my little campbells are all hidden away :)
Although, I guess pet shops have less excuses to mix up the gender on chineses :)

louisbs
12-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeh would be verrrrrry difficult to mistake them for girls

racinghamster
12-12-2010, 05:35 AM
I don`t mind the `rears!` personally! :mad: I did see those two male Chinese and black gerbil at the SPCA and would have been sorely tempted, but I have my large rat cage already in place for my mice and if these guys were ever needing split up for whatever reason, I would`nt have the space for more cages or tanks. I`ve also kept gerbils before and know that males can sometimes need scent gland removals and if he needed surgery, it would mean removing him from his two chinese buddies and puting him back in with them may not be as easy if that was to happen.

It`s lovely that they are all together as they are, but whoever does rehome them needs to realise the above and have spare tanks/caging just incase.

I will hold off until a singleton is looking for a home. :)

ZuZu
12-15-2010, 04:06 PM
seeing a chinese for the first time was a bit like seeing a cat without a tail, different than you are used too but cute all the same:-D I remember seeing a girl at a pet store around five or six years old the other day with her dad, here is the conversation that followed
Girl: Daddy they put mice in that hamster cage! (sign says chinese hamster)
Dad: No, those are hamsters:)
Girl: they have tails though...
Dad: They are supposed to:cool: they would be very sad without em.
Girl: but daaaaaaaaddy (pouts and continues to protest)

Young children can be so cute;)

louisbs
11-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Little Update..
They are both still very active on there wheels.
They love to dig and make burrows.
To be honest im amazed at there longevity lol
The earliest picture i have, has the time stamp of May 2009.
So that will make them 2 years 7 months ish if you say they were 8 weeks when i got them.
And they are not showing any signs of getting old! :)

They have helped me through difficult times, sadly not much human interaction (tom is very shy as was bullied by jerry. jerry just tries to run off when out of his cage, one time i had rip my bed off the floor as he went under.. then the little bugger ran under my wardrobe grr lol) but they are amusing to watch :)

racinghamster
12-01-2011, 03:12 AM
Wow, this truly is a success story louisbs. Keeping a pair together harmoniously is rare into old age, but not impossible. Well done! :) The only worry I would have now is if one passed on and the other might go downhill as a result of grieving. This can happen in other species but whether chinese hamsters feel this, I`m not sure.

Your two sound as though they are loving life and one dominates while the other knows his position in the ranks! It`s when you get two of the same that are likeminded that you often find one gets the upper hand and uses his dominance too much against the other. This is when seperations are needed.

When I saw your old post resurrected, I immediately though you were posting to say they had been split up! I`m glad I was wrong. :)

louisbs
12-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Oh lol.. they did have to be split up.. maybe i didnt update this thread,
I just wanted to let everyone know there still active in there rip old age :)

Jerry is in a 3 tier leon cage.. would you think it would be a good idea to get a single level retirement cage?

Vectis Hamstery
12-01-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm glad your boys are still going strong. I've found Chinese, especially the males, to be longer lived than the other species. My elderly chins have remained active far longer than Syrians of a similar age. If Jerry has achey joints or difficulty managing with levels then you could move him to a single level, but if he's just as sprightly as ever I would probably keep him as he is unless he shows signs of struggling. My oldest Chinese was 3 years and 10 months old and he did have a touch of arthritis in his last few months.

louisbs
12-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Yep hes still a sprightly little guy but ill keep an eye on him.
Thanks vectis :)

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l547/louisbs/2011-11-07204754.jpg

racinghamster
12-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Ah, so they are singletons now! Still, they are a damn good age! :) I agree with vectis regarding the Leon cage. I see you have solid wooden ramps in there that are at a safe angle (not too steep) so that will help him to get up and down the levels more easily. He looks fantastic!

This is great news concerning a chins lifespan because my wee female is about.....17/18 months...ish. She was around a year old when I took her on from Abby on here mid-summer this year and Abby rehomed her and another one from a previous owner, who said they were around a year old, so that`s all I have to go on as far as age is concerned. If Prinny reaches 3 years + I`ll be over the moon! :)