PDA

View Full Version : Talking hamsters?

babyboos
03-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Does anyone have a particularly vocal hamster?

(Not necessarily English speaking!)

hammydude
03-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Not here! :lol: :wink:

SnuggleHam
03-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Nope.. I never heard any of mine make any sounds yet. Although I heard Butters make a few strange sounds when I first got her, and she did make some sounds when she was sick just before she died.

The most I hear is munching on seed or lab blocks the wheel or the scrapping of little feet on their cage floors.

afishcalledwanda
03-17-2005, 05:58 PM
My dwarves talk all the time. You need to have quiet in the house to hear them. I put them up to my ear and I can hear the softest little 'chittering' sound. It's so cute. O:)

Other than that, my syrian is very quiet, as you know and the other sounds I get from the dwarves is the minor squabbling from Mad Zelda, Sybil and Fizz Bomb's cage.

peanut25
03-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Bear only talks to me when he is mad at me for changing his home around. He hates it when I change his cage but I would rather have him mad at me then have him living in filth.

amnerisryn
03-17-2005, 08:54 PM
When Tinky goes into WWI with my betta (Lutador flares at him and Tinky makes noises at him in response) he does. That used to be every night until just recently when I upgraded Lutador's tank and now it's too big to have them next to one another. But I'll be fixing that this weekend because poor Lutador is all depressed without his 'hun' enemy.

I swear, one day I'll explain my whole theory on the WWI thing. I've just got to get through midterms..... :| [-o< ](*,)

Coco1
03-17-2005, 08:58 PM
No, not here, not unless talking in their sleep counts? ! I've heard Nibbles once during a dream...! At least that's the only conclusion I could come to! :lol:

Emma
03-18-2005, 04:14 AM
Most of mine have been quiet, but my old Syrian Mitzi (ah, I still miss her) was very chatty. She was very people-oriented and would come out of her bed to see what was going on every time someone came into the room, and if she was ignored for too long would demand attention!

babyboos
04-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Bear only talks to me when he is mad at me for changing his home around. He hates it when I change his cage but I would rather have him mad at me then have him living in filth.

I can so picture this :roll: I have a similiar guy who HATES to have his bed changed and will pick his house up by his teeth and chuck it against the walls of the enclosure when I do, he is so mad.

All of my Campbell's and Winter White Russian Dwarf Hamsters make noises, though some only when you hold them up to your ear just as you describe Wanda, I love listening to their quiet chittering. My Winter Whites in particular talk at the top of their lungs between enclosures I wish I knew what they were saying.

carefresh
04-11-2005, 12:03 PM
I can so picture this :roll: I have a similiar guy who HATES to have his bed changed and will pick his house up by his teeth and chuck it against the walls of the enclosure when I do, he is so mad.

hahaha, thats really funny, I think that hamster needs some anger management !

babyboos
04-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Either that or a lighter house that makes less noise as it clatters against the bars!!!

gloriaV
04-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Funny thing... I've only heard about noisy dwarves... mine scream all the time... the boys (Femto & Angstrom) yell at each other for many reasons... they are really noisy little hammies!!! :oops:

pophammy
04-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Our Runty makes a little chattering noise especially if he smells another male hamster. I think he is just telling them to watch out

09-01-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm new to this but have been trying to do some research online.

Sliver is my new Syrian long hair (teddy bear hamster). I don't know if he's talking or chirping, or sneezing, but he is always making noises. They sound like loud, aspirated sniffing noises, or like a "Tew" sound. I've only had him for a few days, and the guy at the pet store said Sliver was just sniffing me out. At first I thought he was sick because he also seems to scratch himself a lot so I've changed his bedding to CAREFRESH and removed the corn kernels from his food. But he still makes all these noises (and scratches). I hope that's normal?

SnuggleHam
09-02-2005, 05:37 AM
Hello Wisechild, Welcome to HC and please don’t be afraid to post a little intro about yourself and your hams if you like :)

Sometimes hamsters will make odd sounds. I had one that snored lol. But I worry that there may be some kind of respiratory problem or cold if your hamster is constantly making the same sounds, especially if you hear it as its breathing. If that’s the case you may want to consider a visit to the vets. But wait and see what other members here think :)

nooboo
09-02-2005, 05:46 AM
one of mine clicks and makes half snuffling, half chirp like noises

does he do it at certain times or just randomly? how often does it happen?

are you sure he is scratching and not washing? one of mine is tempted to go over bored on the washing, and you have to watch for a while before you see her clean her foot before starting it up again to know it's washing.

neeshkabeesh
09-03-2005, 02:06 AM
My Syrian doesn't appreciate being held, when I get him out of the cage I let him crawl onto my hands then keep my hands open until I get to his playarea (the sofa) but my mam grabbed him from above the other day and he growled and grunted! He makes grunty noises when he falls off the sofa, I do watch him but sometimes hes too quick for me I don't know how he manages it! He never stops moving, not even to clean himself then he goes back into his cage he is still exploring :lol: He doesn't like it when I have to pick him up to put him back, he never voluntarily walks on to my hand when hes out because he knows he'll just be going back in again!

When I first got him I thought it was a warning that he was going to bite but he hasn't bitten yet, he just likes his space. :D

SnuggleHam
09-03-2005, 04:46 AM
My Syrian, He makes grunty noises when he falls off the sofa, I do watch him but sometimes hes too quick for me I don't know how he manages it! He never stops moving,

Yikes, this isn’t good, you should never allow the hamster the opportunity to fall off anything. A fall could hurt the hamster or cause him stress, which could lead to many different problems. If you can’t contain the hamster in one area safely then I suggest you try making a pen area on the floor where you can sit and supervise him and where he cant escape.

There are special pens you can buy for your rodents to run around and play in. Mine looks like this

http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/thumb/i/inP0/inP018321thumb_6bbf.jpg

Meowzer
09-17-2005, 10:16 PM
MiniMoo usually comes out of her bed snorting and muttering.. she's always made noises like this, when I first got her I thought she had a cold and was sneezing. PJ used to squeak all the time too.. scared me half to death the first time I heard it.. she was laying in her outpost squeaking! I pull the cage to bits and she looks at me like what? ](*,) The only time I've heard Patches say anything is when she was a baby and I took her to the vet... she screamed at the top of her lungs... I'd only had her about 3 days so she wasn't used to me yet, then she had some strange woman poking at her too... she was NOT amused! She did squeak one other time when she took a flying leap off my bed (it's only about a foot off the ground if that, no frame) and I grabbed her to make sure she didn't hurt herself... I think she was just mad that I got her before she could escape into the wall again! :roll:

The dwarves don't really say much either.. Dale used to squeak whenever she saw Chip, but that was about it.

gill
09-18-2005, 02:53 AM
There has been some squeaking from one or more of our babies, but generally they are quiet. perhaps they are wondering where mum is.

They also squeal in complaint when there are too many trying to get into a cardboard tube!

i-love-paddy
09-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Only the babies make cute but loud noises..

which keep me up all night!

Hamster Dragon
10-18-2005, 08:22 AM
My syrian made an odd growling sound when i first got her but hasn't made an odd sound since.

Nienna Valar
10-18-2005, 09:01 AM
Maia is ususally quiet and all I hear is her in her wheel, playing around in her bedding material or digging in her food dish. (Now that she's feeling better!) She did make a little clicking-like noise at me when I had to give her the meds and that was probably because she was not happy with me at the moment and I don't blame her! :P

Sillywabbit
11-07-2005, 02:46 AM
Not heard anything yet? Not even said 'Hello" TUT! :lol:

Skwee
11-07-2005, 03:22 AM
My Hamlet used to be seriously vocal!!

She would wake me up in the moring every day but screeching (absolutely no reason other than she wanted to come out. she was obsessed with snuggles, once she had been snuggled and kissed and told she was beautiful, she would go back to bed but not until then)

She would, on some days, chirp really loudly and if i chirped back in imitation she would get frantic and chirp louder and louder and dance about wildly, coming to think of it now, i believe it was because she was in season. if anyone has msn, i recorded her chirping and can send clips etc

bah my lesson has ended, i have to run lol, will finish reply later at home :wink:

Sillywabbit
11-07-2005, 04:02 AM
:) awwww that's lovely, if my Lads 'Chico' does that... He would be over the moon..

So they can make sounds if they want to, cooo I never realised that, so much to learn

:?

jayne
09-22-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm quite confused about this :? Is making noises a good or bad thing?

Since i got my female chinese, they have occassionally made noises which are quite hard to describe. They have gone about a month hardly making these noises until tonight!

When i lifted the lid from their cage, they both started to make the noise. Imagine you put on a rubber glove and rubbed your finger on a glass quickly, you would get a squeek. Its like that but one stopped and the other kept on going! And i mean, kept going :roll: Even when she was on my hand, eating, walking, playing in the sand bath, she was still at it! It must come from their noses because i noticed when she done it in the sand bath, the sand moved every time the noise was made. Sweet was the one doing all this and she is the dominant one, if i expected it from one of them it would've been Sour.

On top of this, i have noticed one of them looks messy. Her fur doesnt look as smooth and seems more ruffled than anything. This one seems to be what looks like getting bit from the other but there is no blood as i keep checking and no other marks or anything.

Can someone please tell me what i should do and what could be causing the noises and behaviour in general?

souffle
09-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Any change in behaviour or appearance in a hamster can be sign of illness or something not quite right. I have never had chinese but the syrians and dwarfs will occasionally wheeze or squeakor sort of chatter and chirp. They will do it mostly if they smell another hammy near by but it seems a bit of an odd noise that yours is making. Does the breathing seem laboured and is the hamster going about its normal routine? If you are worried it is worth having the vet check them over. I beleive chinese will sometimes start to fight especially females so watch out for bullying. If it is happening you may need to separate them or if one is poorly it may need moved out till it is well. Even a big storage tub can act as a temporary cage. As this is quite an old post the original posters are unlikely to respond but hopefully some of our current people will.

suga
09-23-2006, 09:00 AM
I don't know about chinese hamster making noises. Conker does though, she squeaks sometimes, only this morning infact. I had just rumpled up her bed to get a quick look at her and she then squeaked at me whilst she re-made it (as if to say, for goodness sake I just got it sorted, what you wanna and go wrecking it for) LOL. It might be worth getting them checked by a vet, if they are distressed or upset. The one you said looked messy, is she being kept away from food, water, the nest area in anyway (i.e. being bullied a tad by the other one).

jayne
09-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Thank you both for replying :wink:

As far as bullying is concerned, when i first got them one was bullying the other but i think this was just to show who was the dominant one. They occassionally do it but not a lot, however last night it happened quite a bit. I know females never normally stay together for long and they more than likely will need to be split up. Only on the odd occassion have females been kept together for their whole life.

It is a strange noise, maybe the way i've described it sounds strange, for all i know it could be the same as other members have posted :? The one that looks a bit scruffy still eats, drinks and uses the wheel, everything is still normal apart from the noise and the 'fighting'.

I will check on them again and see what the are up to. For all i know they could be making the noise because they are excited as i know it can be a sign of that too :wink:

Minicooper
09-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Sometimes I can hear Hammis teeth chatter.

NicoleL88
08-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Both of mine chirp in their cages the odd time. When I pick them up they usually always chirp away quietly. I assume it means they're afraid because they're constantly trying to get out of my hands! :(

I think I heard one of them snore/grunt in its sleep about ten minutes ago. :D

Roxie
08-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Blimey, a thread from 2005!

souffle
08-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Yes I have a feeling the forum started 23rd Feb 2005 :)
Here is a 3rd birthday thread :)
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/hamster-chat/2635-happy-birthday-hamster-central.html

Roxie
08-13-2011, 08:21 AM
I had no idea HC had been around for so long :o

NicoleL88
08-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Sorry for bumping such an old topic! But it was an interesting read :)

Gillzy
08-13-2011, 09:27 AM
It's always fun to read about talking hams. :)

NicoleL88
08-20-2011, 03:41 AM
Yup, I keep hearing mine squeak or chirp loudly when they're in their beds. :\

joanne
08-21-2011, 02:50 PM
i heard mine squeeking for the first time today. it was so cute. i placed their cages next to each other when i was cleaning up and all of a sudden harry started darting around like mad making a little puffing noise which then changed to squeeks. fluffy didnt seem all that bothered and went back to bed after one squeek. i couldnt decide if he was annoyed that she was so near or happy