PDA

View Full Version : problems with heat?

red_hot_chili_peppers
07-12-2006, 07:51 AM
it's quite hot here today, 29 degrees Celsius, which I don't want it to be. I'm still shivering though :? , but I've lost a lot of hammies recently due to the heat :evil: presumably.

We have fans, the door open, frozen drinks coolers, and they get misted 3 times a day, what else can I do?

I lost 5 last night, I really don't feel I should post how many I have lost altogether, as it may cause some concern to some members. But it has been cooler since Sunday, and I haven't lost any until last night when the temperature went back up.

flogging_molly
07-12-2006, 07:59 AM
that's not good, what happened

SnuggleHam
07-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Aww sorry to hear about your hammies red hot, It sounds as though you need to invest in an air conditioner. I live in an apartment and it gets very hot up here. If it's too hot for me to stand then it's certainly too hot for my animals. So once the humidity sets in over here the AC goes on pretty much until the fall.

You may want to try using the fans to blow some air over their cages after misting them.

red_hot_chili_peppers
07-12-2006, 08:10 AM
we have fans in there, and the doors open, its the coldest part of the house, the hamsters have drink coolers in their cages and are misted 3 times a day, i lost 5 last night... 4 campbells and a chinese :evil:

SnuggleHam
07-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Hmm, I cant help but think if your loosing that many hamster in one night something must not be right. An AC would probably be your best bet. Fans wont do any good if the air is warm and humid..

(at least I can recall many summer days where it was so hot a fan didnt help if was turned on high and I was sitting on the sofa in a bathing suit)

And is it good to mist a hamster? They aren’t suppose to get wet. You should invest in an air conditioner for your rodent room. You can set them to keep at a specific temperate and many of them have power saver buttons, meaning they will turn themselves off when they aren’t needed and turn back on when the temperature in the room raises.

AC units dont cost a ton these days.. I know price changes depending on what size area you need to cool. My hubby Smoo and I live in a small appartment,, as mentioned. We bought a small AC unit since we didn’t wanna spend much money. It goes in our bedroom but we use a fan to blow the cool air out into the main part of the living area where the hamsters are and it keeps us cool just fine.

But if you have windows in the pet room you may as well get a smallish AC that can do the job and keep it in that room. A sales person can help you figure out what minimum AC size would be best for the square footage.. or whatever you UK people call it.

red_hot_chili_peppers
07-12-2006, 09:04 AM
I will see what I can do and if there is a way around it, but I wouldn't mind paying a lot for the hammies. We can't have AC for some reason out where they are kept, but I will definitely look deeper into the reason why, and try and work around it :)

SnuggleHam
07-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Well I hope you are able to work something out. Is it possible to move the critters temporarily to another place in the house where an AC can be used? I'm sure your parents wont jump at installing central air, I think that it is a bit pricey.

red_hot_chili_peppers
07-12-2006, 10:09 AM
I don't think so because of the dogs... :( I'll see what I can do :)