PDA

View Full Version : Hamster belly upset :(

mimosaurus
05-22-2006, 06:21 AM
I'm a bit worried about Bean, because she seems to have had a bit of a tummy upset. I found (quite a big!) pile of runny poos in her cage the other day. She seems fine, she's running around, alert and as friendly as ever, and it was an isolated occurence...

It just seems a bit odd, because nothing new has been introduced to her diet, and I don't put fresh food in her cage, I feed it to her whilst she's out, so I know there isn't a stash of rotting food or anything! The only fresh things she's had this week are some grape, some apple, some broccoli and a bit of chicken. She's always been fine with these foods before, and I haven't changed her dry food.

I have stopped giving her fresh food for the time being, and will slowly re-introduce fresh foods again in a few days time, to let her belly get back to normal, but I am being neurotic and worrying about it. :roll:

Is it likely to be caused by anything serious? :(

souffle
05-22-2006, 08:46 AM
You are just being a responsible, mindful owner

Do you wash the fresh food before feeding it as hams can, like humans pick up bugs from unwashed food?

If she seems fine now and is 'solid' with no staining or other symptoms such as lethargy and roffled fur or dull eyes I would just keep a very, very close eye on her. If she shows any other signs or continues to be loose a trip to the vet is definatly indicated as hams can go downhill very quickly.

Hope she feels well soon.

Emma
05-22-2006, 02:29 PM
If she seems fine in herself - eating drinking ok, not dull or depressed or anything, active as usual, then I would do as you have already done and just feed only dry mix for a few days and re-introduce fresh food and other treats gradually after a few days of solid stools. I might also add probiotic to the water as I do that with everything!

Like souffle said hams can go downhill quite quickly so it is well worth keeping a close eye. Hope it was just a one-off and she gets better soon.

mimosaurus
05-25-2006, 03:59 AM
Been keeping an eye on her, and she still seems totally fine! I do wash the food before I give it to her, and I use probiotic in the water anyway :)

Thanks for your help :)

I even made her a little hammock out of a flannel to celebrate hehe. She doesn't seem too bothered with it at the moment, but looks really funny with just her head sticking out :D

babyboos
05-25-2006, 09:41 AM
maybe she ate a fly or something and it upset her tummy a little

sounds like she is fine now