PDA

View Full Version : Maisie Escaped!!

princess-rhi89
07-04-2010, 12:47 PM
So last night I went home and gave Maisie her 1st ever strawberry, which she promptly dragged into her bed, I left her be and stayed over at my OH for the night, I hadnt been home all day as we took my OH car to a classic car show, when I came back at 6:30pm I went upstairs to see if Maisie had eaten her strawberry so I lifted the top off her HH and she didnt come out to say hello so I lifted up her bed and she wasnt there, I searched the whole cage and no Maisie,
She had escaped, Ive never had a hammie escape before and its my worst nightmare due to us having two cats, one of which loves to hunt and is always bringing things home.
I searched in the corners where she loves to dig up the carpet and there were two new holes so I definately knew she had got out. Then my other half noticed that the carpet had been chewed on my cupboard too, (this is where I keep her food, treats and megazorb and bedding). I pulled out my wash basket and the cambridge and grabbed the torch to look under the shelving unit and started to call her name and make the clucking noise I use to call her when shes in her cage and ball, and she was sat under there looking at me, and just walked out to my like to say 'Oh hi mummy, Ive been looking for you.' She seemed unfazed by her adventure and came for a cuddle, I felt sick she scared me so much, it was all my fault though after checking the cage over to see where she'd escaped I noticed that I hadnt shut the cage door properly and she had sqeezed her way out.
Thank god shes ok, ive cable tied the door shut for tonight and will be going out 1st thing to get some clips the keep the door shut.

fluffymunchkins
07-04-2010, 12:50 PM
oh dear, well at leats shes safe and sound :D
You paniced me in the title, i double checked out the window, i thought she was coming for porridge :mad:
Generally it happens to us all one day, but its better to learn and prevent it from happening again!

princess-rhi89
07-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Its ok I checked to make sure her postman pat van was still there so I knew she hadnt left to get porridge lol but if it had been gone I would have been in contact with you straight away.
Ive never had one escape before, so I panicked so much was nearly sick, when I found her I just wanted to cry :(

wofunny
07-04-2010, 12:54 PM
That was a close one! Glad she is well :) xx

ameyjaney
Glad you found her ok. Spud gave me the same look after he escaped....they definitely give you a scare when they do that.

fluffymunchkins
Luckily for me Porridge found me before i realised he'd even escaped, so i didn't have time to worry :)

princess-rhi89
07-04-2010, 01:14 PM
I was lucky she didnt get under the floor boards, or even worse met the cats :(

HamstersAreHardcore
07-04-2010, 04:35 PM
How did she actually esscape i mean like how did you not shut the cage properly was it hanging out

helenp
07-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Is she in a hamster heaven?

Daisy escaped from hers about 2 days after we got her, we woke up in the morning and she came wandering down the hall to meet us. Turned out she had squeezed through a gap in the door handles as we had only shut it on the first rung, ever since we have used the second rung though there is no way she would fit her big bum through now.

Pompompoms
07-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Oh I'm so glad you found her safe and sound, you must have been so worried!
I would say poor Maisie, but it doesn't sound as if she was phased at all :mrgreen:

suga
07-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Phew! Miss Maisie sure likes to get and keep your attention.
Glad that she's okay. Got to be honest I have cable ties on the top door and the side on the cambridge. Only way to be sure that Issy can't get out.

lisab
07-04-2010, 11:53 PM
they dont know by half how to worry us. glad that she is safe and it was only a short adventure

princess-rhi89
07-05-2010, 02:36 AM
Well I think she was out all night, its a good job we always keep my bedroom door shut so she was contained.
I did the one side of the door up on the 2nd rung but the otherside I somehow only did it on the 1st rung, I definately wont be doing that again.

Hope
07-05-2010, 04:19 AM
My my goodness, what a fright that must have been!! I am so glad that you found her safe and well - the lure of the food must have been too much for her and she forgot all about going to find Porridge!!

Ws it the little door that connects to the little green 'loft' room that was loose?? Definatley clip it shut from now on!

Now listen Maisie - no more adventures as it scares your mummy to death, be a good girl and stay in your nice cosy home. This is no way to thank your mummy for buying you one of the best cages for hamsters ever!!

serz
07-05-2010, 05:34 AM
glad that you found her ok and she is good and well x

princess-rhi89
07-05-2010, 10:20 AM
It was the big door on the front, Ive cable tied the top door shut and taken off the loft because she decided to chew it apart on day one so that was promptly removed and now is part of her playpen :)
I will pass on your message to Maisie hope, just hope she listens to you because she ignores me hehe.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDOOOO OOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!
is all I get from her lol

Amethyst_ice
07-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Awww glad this has a happy ending :) its horrible isn't it...home you have chilled out now x

Hope
07-05-2010, 12:51 PM
It was the big door on the front, Ive cable tied the top door shut and taken off the loft because she decided to chew it apart on day one so that was promptly removed and now is part of her playpen :)
I will pass on your message to Maisie hope, just hope she listens to you because she ignores me hehe.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDOOOO OOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!
is all I get from her lol

hehehe!!

Yeah, I wonderd if it was from the top part as I have heard about hammies very easily chewing a hole in this and being off on an adventure.

She had better listen to me, or else no more yog drops!!! :p