PDA

View Full Version : Wondering why.......

pebbles
06-24-2010, 11:23 AM
every time I put my hand in Oscars cage he decides to take a nibble of my hand. He does not hurt so don't think he means it??

He used to just climb on my hand, not sure why he has changed?? we have had him around a month. Once I have picked him up he is fine and enjoys having cuddles.

should I try to stop him doing this and if so does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to stop it.

Many thanks

Katty_Sheldon
06-24-2010, 11:51 AM
I think he might be trying out if you have something for eating. Or he is just trying to say "im the boss here!". Its good it doesnt hurt, so i wouldnt do anything about it:). Hamsters change their behavior sometimes just like humans do...:)

fluffymunchkins
06-24-2010, 11:53 AM
do you smell of other pets or food?
You can try rubbing your hands with his bedding or using a hand wash before putting yur hand in the cage :)
It works with all my chewers and porridge and treo now don't bite.
But Peggy sounds similar to oscar as she started biting later on after she just used to climb on my hand. Really shes just become a grumpy old woman, but i didn't have other hamsters and their smell before. Sonow i do she doesn't like their smell and bites me :roll:
But i'm qite persistent and she'll normally stop after a bit or when i give my hands a quick rub in the bedding

Hope
06-25-2010, 01:07 AM
Boris will always nibble my fingers if I put my hand in his cage, I have found that its much better if I just zoom in and scoop him up straight away - then he doesnt even have time to think about it!! He is usually fine out of the cage (although he did bite my mum the other day - naughty boy! :-) )