PDA

View Full Version : Handling On My Lap?

Silver
06-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Hello,

Ive had my two new WW babies for three weeks now. Both of them are ok with me having them in my hands. They go into a toilet tube & I pick them up that way. They then come out onto my hands. I would like to try & have them one at a time of course on my lap.

Im worried in case they dart off & run away. Would having them in the bath on me be best to see what they would do first?

wofunny
06-06-2010, 07:52 AM
The bath methord is by far the best, it worked for me and I've heard lots of sucsess storys from others! I've never had any WW so I don't know how fast they are but just to be safe I wouldn't do it on your lap untill you are certain they will be fine :)

fluffymunchkins
06-06-2010, 08:17 AM
I agree the bath method is the first thing i did with Treo so i could have him on my lap safely!
My treos not a mega fast chappy and he does like to just sit in my lap for a cuddle :)
But it depends on your lil ones personalities

eye of the divine
06-06-2010, 08:31 AM
personally I don't have a bath so I couldn't do that I just held them on the sofa and they were fine but winter whites are fast when they want to be. I think its a good idea at least they can't get anywhere but if they escape if you leave some food on the floor they'll head straight for it but don't chase them around just leave them and keep an eye on the food pile.

Katty_Sheldon
06-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Bath is totally a good idea, thats how i tamed my winter white:)

Silver
06-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Thank You all :-D

Ive just had my first bath with Jan. I picked Jan first as she seems to be bonding with me a little more than Joe although its a close run thing.

She went into her toilet tube roll & I put that in the pet carrier. I placed the pet carrier on my lap & let her come out onto me.

She had a look around my lap & I put my arms out so it gave her a small barrier. She was a good girl only tried to nip my finger once. She didn't poo or wee on me :mad: She tried to dig on my leg which tickled me :mad:.

She climbed up on my wrist & had a look over as if to say wow theres a lot more to explore but she didn't go over she climbed back down & stayed on me. She found the crease of both sides of my arms & stuck her head through & looked she could of gone exploring the bath but she didn't. I put the toilet tube roll on my lap she wen't into it & I put that back in the pet carrier which she found worrying & when I tried to get her back into the toilet tube she wasn't having any of that, so I managed to lower the pet carrier in her cage & she come out into that.

We had a chat she went & had a bath then stayed near the front of her cage while I talked to her.

So all in all I think it went ok :-D. All three ww don't like the pet carrier is this just mine or do they all hate it. Its the same when I clean them out Im racing around like a loony trying to get it done because they are going nuts in the carrier. Anyone found anything else to keep them in while cleaning out instead of the dreaded pet carrier?

Hope
06-06-2010, 11:43 AM
I put Boris in his ball while I clean him out, he quite enjoys having a run about. :-)

You could try puttingthem in a large storage box with a few toys??

The taming sounds like its going well, keep up the good work! :-)

fluffymunchkins
06-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Mine do get a bit annoyed in the pet carrier. I used to just have Peggy in a storage box while i cleaned. But now i just let them have the run of the bathroom while i clean :)

annie81
06-06-2010, 12:45 PM
hey...you are doing well with taming. my hammies dont like the carrier either. i think its normal. i just let them run in their balls..or free ranging in the bathroom (one after the other of course ;-))

eye of the divine
06-06-2010, 12:52 PM
You could try puttingthem in a large storage box with a few toys??

thats what I did I made a little play pen for them and they love it :-D

well done on the taming front I hope it all goes well for you hun

Silver
06-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Thank You everyone for your encouragement & help. Do WW like the small pet balls?. Ive wonderd about them before.

Hope
06-07-2010, 02:28 AM
I have a hybrid WW and he LOVES his ball - its a small one about 5 inches I think. I got one form P@H first but the slits were too wide and his little leggies kept poking out as he ran and this was making them sore - a few others have found this also I think. The one I have now is a super pet one that I found on ebay.

Silver
06-07-2010, 04:29 AM
Thanks Hope I will look out for the super pet one xxx

Hope
06-07-2010, 04:52 AM
This was the one I ordered - the delivery was very quick too! He does good discounts on P+p if you order more than one thingx x

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Dwarf-Hamster-Mouse-Small-Run-Exercise-Ball-/310220754852?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item483a990fa4

Silver
06-07-2010, 05:15 AM
Brilliant Thanks xxx