PDA

View Full Version : worried about my 2 boys

eeyore21uk
06-05-2010, 04:10 AM
I bought 2 male chinese dwarf hamsters 2 days ago. I wanted to start taming them last night but they didnt get up until I went to bed. But I got up and tried to handle one. He did get very scared and jumped from my hands. The other one went straight into his bed when i turned on the light. Will they improve in time? Im a bit worried in case they dont tame. Not sure if Im worrrying over nothing.

fluffymunchkins
06-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Firstly, chinese males should be kept singley generally as its very rare for them to get along for long!
Taming will take time, different hamsters tame in different ways :)

Try sitting with one in the bathtub (transporting using a exercise ball or container)

Amethyst_ice
06-05-2010, 10:22 AM
yeh what FM said, also they may need a little longer to settle in xxx

wofunny
06-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Yep I agree with the above, it may take time but it's worth it :) good luck!

annie81
06-05-2010, 12:28 PM
give them a bit more time. some hamsters really need to settle in first

ameyjaney
06-05-2010, 01:22 PM
I let Darwin, who is also a male chinese, settle for about a week and a half before even trying to attempt to handle him as he was very nervous (as I think most Chinese are quite shy). Only now after around 5 weeks is he even beginning to trust me and climb on my hands. It is a long process but it is definitely worthwhile once they begin to trust you. Hang in there and you will see the benefits, as they say 'Slow and steady wins the race'

eeyore21uk
06-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, feel a lot better now with it all. I read that 2 male chinese dwarf hamsters are generally ok to live together but not females as females are more dominant. But Im going to keep an eye on them both. I'll seperate them if necessary.

fluffymunchkins
06-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Yh that's right females will not get along, but sometimes males can, at least for a bit anyway :)

SarahJ
06-07-2010, 08:07 AM
keep a close eye onthem if u carry on with them living together my 2 boys where fine for about 2 weeks then they started to fight badly! i would really split them up as i dont know anyone who has not had a bad story to tell about 2 chinese;s 2gether.

I have found that chinese's do seem to be really shy and it takes alot longer to tame then a syrian.

wofunny
06-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Good Luck :D Keep us updated ;)

eeyore21uk
06-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Hello people

Last night the 2 boys got up fine and saw them running the wheel together and thought it was very sweet. I did place my hand in there with a treat to see how they would react and they didn't seem to mind but didn't have the confidence to climb onto my hand and get the treats. Tonight one got up for something to eat and drink I have suspicion he is now a she cos I couldn't see any balls unless they are quite small as the other one has large ones and quite clearly a male! The one that came out tonight went back to bed in the small house what they both share. about 10 mins later I heard squeaking and scuffling. I couldn't see anything what really happened cos it was in the house, but it was quite clear they had a minor scuffle and for now they are at peace. I have now decided to get another cage on Wednesday and separate them. I didn't want to separate them but since I have suspicions that Spongebob has no balls and they both had a minor fight,I'll have to.

Hope
06-08-2010, 01:16 AM
I think that is the right thing to do. With chinese hamsters they tend to be quite well endowed so its easy to see if they are male, from what you have said I think that your suspicions are correct and that Spongebob is actually a girl.

Separate them ASAP and bear in mind that she could already be pregnant, look out for the usual signs - nest making, eating more, more noticeable nipples, as well as a larger tummy. Hopefully she isnt, but just be aware that she could be.