PDA

View Full Version : Syrian won't stop bar chewing

alinamash
02-17-2022, 01:09 AM
My female syrian won't stop biting the bars of her detolf and its so loud it wakes me up at night for hours. She has only recently started bar chewing, however, she's been obsessed with escaping every cage she's in since I've had her. She's been upgraded twice because of the stress behaviors, however, I feel like its escalated recently. I'm worried about her teeth and her overall health. Tbh I could upgrade her, but it will be quite expensive and I'm not sure how much more I can afford (I've spent hundreds of dollars on her so far.) Her cage has plenty of enrichment, but she is never satisfied. I've tried free roaming her a few times but she just kept looking for a way to escape the room. I live in an apartment and I'm seriously worried about her escaping and getting stuck in a vent or something. Any advice is appreciated on either the bar chewing or escaping.

Ria P
02-18-2022, 03:51 AM
Hello and welcome to HC!

Have you done the routine checks like wheel and water bottle working ok?
Is her wheel big enough? Syrians need a 28cn/30cm wheel.

If your hamster is one of those who are never happy because they just want to be free then a large, high glass tank with a meshed diy lid she can't reach may be your only option. Something like an aquarium. The detolf is low so she'll always be able to reach the bars or the lid.

In the meantime i'd give her plenty of cardboard to shred and try and cover the bars with cardboard tubes if that's possible.

flowerfairy
02-22-2022, 03:58 AM
I have seen curved lids on detolfs that make them harder to reach. On youtube somewhere!