PDA

View Full Version : Clive

Ria P
01-29-2022, 06:51 PM
Looks like Welsh boy Clive is yet another adoption failure.

I left him alone for a while because he's so timid and shy but started to stroke him a few days ago.

A couple of days ago i started to tame him which i do outside the cage. The hamster playground is ideal for that because i sit on the floor and let him walk onto my lap while stroking him. He runs around me on the floor so gets used to me while playing.
When i carried him back in the Twiglets tube he tried to climb out so i sat down and picked him up to put him back in his bin cage. I had no plans to pick him up so early on but i didn't get bitten which is very promising.

Mweekie
01-30-2022, 06:52 AM
Aww Clive is gorgeous Ria - no wonder you wanted to keep him.

Clive reminds me of my very first ever hamster, Tamika, who I had when I was in my early teens. She was very similar in colour and temperament and was a really sweet, but very adventurous hamster.

I'm sure in no time he will become 'putty in your hands' lol.

Looking forward to reading more about him.

Mweekie xx

Ria P
01-31-2022, 08:04 AM
Thanks. Was Tamika also d'grey? Clive always looks brown in photos.

I find ìt quite fascinating that you keep tarantulas. Do they like to come out of their enclosures?

Mweekie
01-31-2022, 09:39 AM
Hi Ria,

Tamika was what was called a sable hamster, so she was a dark brown with lighter brown round her eyes.

Regarding my tarantulas - I very rarely take them out of their enclosure as they are very skittish and very liable to try and flick their uricating hairs. Truffle is my largest tarantula and is about 10cm long and Chaos II is very small at only the size of a 10p piece lol. But both are in separate enclosures. But I am planning on getting Truffle a bigger terrarium display as "she" will benefit the space a little more for webbing etc. They are definitely more of an "observation" species than a handlable one.

Mweekie xx

Ria P
01-31-2022, 10:28 AM
Aww, a 10p sized tarantula. How cute.

Ria P
02-01-2022, 06:56 AM
I moved Clive from the Samla into the Alaska and he threw a major tantrum in response.

I kept the set up similar but did one thing very wrong and oh boy, did he let me know.
I replaced his sand in a bon bon jar with a smaller, sand filled corner toilet. My reasoning was that since he's a Syrian he only needs a potty.

Clive disagreed.
He raced around and bulldozed the place and then actually went behind the corner toilet and tipped it over!!
He climbed out of the cage quicker than i could catch him and run to the playground sandpit chucking most of the sand out!

So i put his sand jar back in, caught Clive and put him back in his cage. He was still mad and chewed the bars while i was in the room, waking poor Jack up, but calmed when i left the room. He was in his house when i went back to check on him a little while later.

There are a number of things i learnt today.
Clive is quick and knows how to express himself. I can pick him up and he doesn't bite unlike what i was told. He has a temper. Which leaves one question:

Where is the timid and shy hamster?

Ria P
02-03-2022, 04:44 AM
Clive seems to have settled down and didn't shred cardboard last night. I just added a cork log that had been in the freezer the last couple of days. I moved some substrate out of the way to place the cork log and was met by angry squawking! So i apologised for waking him unintentionally and he squawked back. In fact, he squawked until i stopped talking.

Ria P
02-11-2022, 09:42 AM
Clive is an impatient hamster who loves to freeroam. When he has to wait for his turn he chews the bars of his door so i block it with sheets of cardboard. He seems to enjoy shredding cardboard and has made his own layer of fincard substrate topper.

He's moved out of his house since i added more substrate and built a tunnel from the side of his house running along behind his wheel and along the side of the cage under the platform. I think he sleeps in the front right corner where i can hear rustling and whimzee clonking.

His neighbour Jack moved out of his house as well and sleeps on top of a heap of substrate in the corner behind his wheel.

My OH told me that last night Jack sat on his shelf staring across at Rory who sat on his shelf staring across at Jack.

Ria P
03-06-2022, 01:48 PM
Clive's turn now to run around. We've been doing pick up exercises and the other night i've picked him up off the floor without too much jumping around. Before that i had to get him to walk on my arm or lap first because he was fine with getting picked up off me. Bit strange that but they're all so different. He definitely trusts me and runs after me when i walk around.

cloudy
03-06-2022, 01:52 PM
Clive is a beautiful hamster. You have such a lovely way with Hamsters. You seem to teach them they are safe. That is a wonderful skill to have.

Ria P
03-07-2022, 05:20 PM
Clive is a beautiful hamster. You have such a lovely way with Hamsters. You seem to teach them they are safe. That is a wonderful skill to have.

Aww, thank you for saying that.

Ria P
03-27-2022, 04:15 AM
I'm still trying to get to know this little bundle of energy.

Clive keeps tipping his water bowl over so i've moved it to a different shelf. I have noticed that Clive will tipp over things he doesn't like or want.

He was very happy to find a Cheerio in my bowl so didn't tip that one over.

cloudy
03-27-2022, 04:21 AM
That made me laugh! How funny he will tip things over if he does not like them. It is very clever of him to work out you will move things if he tips them over.

Axeriax
03-27-2022, 07:08 AM
Hah what a character he seem to have! And so beautiful!

Ria P
03-27-2022, 11:29 AM
Clive will cause a riot tonight.

I've been off work with covid for two weeks so he got out every evening for hours. I'm at work overnight and my OH won't let him out because he can't catch the little devil.

Dread to think what his cage will look like tomorrow morning. Will take me ages to tidy up and then i'll get squawked at for my efforts.

cloudy
03-27-2022, 11:33 AM
I hope you and your OH have recovered from covid now. It sounds like your room is really hamster proof with no little gaps. That is so handy for your hamsters free roaming.

Ria P
03-27-2022, 11:52 AM
Near enough, thanks.

I checked the room inch by inch and still check it. They also have the hall with the stairs blocked off and now the bathroom as well! For some weird reason, they all like to sit behind the little bathroom bin to groom.

Clive and Rory both got into the bedroom when i forgot to close the door, so now they know that there is another room to explore, they keep jumping up the door and try to dig their way in.

I have a devider for hamster room/hall because the Robos i only let loose in the hall/bathroom area. They take off like wind up toys soon as their paws touch the floor.

Those hamsters would take over the whole house given half a chance.

cloudy
03-27-2022, 12:08 PM
Haha, how cute they all like to explore your whole home. I heard robos often do not like exploring huge areas. It goes to show how different they all are.

Ria P
04-21-2022, 10:39 AM
Typical hamster.

I've put All the food out and a treat for tonight in the afternoon because i'm working overnight and my OH's home late.

Clive gets up, pouches The Lot and gives me this look.

Now i feel guilty again having to work to keep this spoilt lot in the style they're accustomed to.

cloudy
04-21-2022, 10:41 AM
Lol! Clive sure is good at making his feelings clear! How cute.

Charlie Dunn
04-21-2022, 12:46 PM
He sure does bless him!! X

Ria P
04-21-2022, 11:28 PM
My OH forgot Clive's name the other day and referred to him as 'the one with the glasses', lol.

Ria P
04-25-2022, 03:42 PM
Arrrgh! Hamsters
I spent a good part of the evening creating a roof run for Clive, put him back to admire my efforts and he threw a tantrum!!
I've been confronted with enough hamster tantrums to know that this instant reaction to home improvements will continue until i've put everything back the way it was.
So i put him back in the playground, sorted his cage and put him back.
Clive checked everything, pouched some food and rushed off to his house. No more tantrums but i think i'm not his favourite human tonight.

cloudy
04-26-2022, 12:39 AM
Aww, that was so kind of you. I guess Clive was not impressed. lol. How do you know when a hamster throws a tantrum?

Ria P
04-26-2022, 01:10 AM
Aww, that was so kind of you. I guess Clive was not impressed. lol. How do you know when a hamster throws a tantrum?

They chucks things about, dig like mad and make a big mess, try to pull at things, lots of running around, that kind of thing. You will know when they are not happy about something because they are very good at expressing themselves.

I could tell rightaway that Clive wasn't happy because he pulled his millet sprays about and then dug with substrate and sand flying everywhere.

As an extra personal touch, Henry used to chuck his poops out of his cage when he was annoyed.

The cause is usually environmental. Some hamsters hate changes and do not like humans meddling with their homes. I didn't know that Clive is one of those but i know now.

cloudy
04-26-2022, 01:33 AM
They chucks things about, dig like mad and make a big mess, try to pull at things, lots of running around, that kind of thing. You will know when they are not happy about something because they are very good at expressing themselves.

I could tell rightaway that Clive wasn't happy because he pulled his millet sprays about and then dug with substrate and sand flying everywhere.

As an extra personal touch, Henry used to chuck his poops out of his cage when he was annoyed.

The cause is usually environmental. Some hamsters hate changes and do not like humans meddling with their homes. I didn't know that Clive is one of those but i know now.

That is really interesting. It reminds me of how my past rabbit behaved when he was not happy with me. I love how much personality hamsters have. :)

Ria P
04-26-2022, 01:46 AM
That is really interesting. It reminds me of how my past rabbit behaved when he was not happy with me. I love how much personality hamsters have. :)

So do i! I was up very late last night because i like the night and normally Clive would appear at his door after he had had a snooze and ask to come out or at least interact with me.
Not last night though. He was definitely in a huff and didn't want to "talk" to me. At least they don't bear any grudges so he'll be his usual friendly and energetic self tonight.

cloudy
04-26-2022, 01:54 AM
So do i! I was up very late last night because i like the night and normally Clive would appear at his door after he had had a snooze and ask to come out or at least interact with me.
Not last night though. He was definitely in a huff and didn't want to "talk" to me. At least they don't bear any grudges so he'll be his usual friendly and energetic self tonight.

Oh that is so cute. I actually think it is a sign they are comfortable when they can sulk.

Ria P
04-26-2022, 04:05 AM
Oh that is so cute. I actually think it is a sign they are comfortable when they can sulk.

Never looked at it that way but you are right. It is way of interacting and communicating which they wouldn't do if rhey were scared.

Ria P
05-10-2022, 11:22 AM
I got a new treat today. Dried coconut flakes. I was looking for organic ones without preservatives and found them in tkmaxx. The supermarket ones contain sulphates which is probably safe but decided to look for alternatives but not in tkmaxx. Went there for lunch with my OH and t-shirts. Got lunch, no t-shirts but left with a big bag of coconut flakes and a big bag of brown flax seeds!!

Clive eating his new treat.

cloudy
05-10-2022, 11:33 AM
Clive looks pleased with his new treat. It is lucky you were able to find pure coconut flakes in TK Maxx.

Ria P
05-10-2022, 11:40 AM
Clive looks pleased with his new treat. It is lucky you were able to find pure coconut flakes in TK Maxx.

Yes, i was going to go to Holland & Barrett after work. I want to bake sugar, fat and flour free biscuits for Rory's birthday this week. I may use some coconut now instead of walnut or maybe make two different mixtures.

cloudy
05-10-2022, 11:54 AM
Yes, i was going to go to Holland & Barrett after work. I want to bake sugar, fat and flour free biscuits for Rory's birthday this week. I may use some coconut now instead of walnut or maybe make two different mixtures.

That is such a lovely idea. I hope you will post how he reacts to his birthday treat.:)

ilguy
05-11-2022, 09:05 PM
That is such a lovely idea. I hope you will post how he reacts to his birthday treat.:)

I second this, he looks so happy with his treats as it is. Will Clive be getting any of his leftovers?

Ria P
05-12-2022, 11:40 AM
I second this, he looks so happy with his treats as it is. Will Clive be getting any of his leftovers?

He did and then he run off to his sand jar.

Ria P
05-12-2022, 11:41 AM
Why he likes to eat his goodies in his sand jar, i do not know.

cloudy
05-12-2022, 11:55 AM
Lol how funny he took it into his sand jar. He is so cute.

Ria P
05-12-2022, 12:00 PM
Lol how funny he took it into his sand jar. He is so cute.

They really are funny little creatures.

Ria P
05-12-2022, 12:04 PM
We're having a right little hamster party here. Now Jack found his piece of birthday biscuit. Jack doesn't waste time running off to hide his goodies. He eats it there and then.

cloudy
05-12-2022, 01:04 PM
Aww, so cute the way he is holding his biscuit.

ilguy
05-12-2022, 10:20 PM
He did and then he run off to his sand jar.

Aw, that's adorable! They both look like they really enjoyed it, thanks for sharing all the pictures

Ria P
05-16-2022, 01:48 AM
A couple of my dwarfs completely changed colour but haven't noticed that in a Syrian, until now.

Clive started off as a dark grey hamster but now he's brown.
Is that a characteristic for sable hamsters?
The dark colour is only the top coat, the base colour is light.

That's him just now with his nose stuck in his porridge bowl.

cloudy
05-16-2022, 03:03 AM
Oh wow, his fur does look brown. That is interesting.

Ria P
06-12-2022, 01:31 PM
"Somebody has been in my house!"

Oops, i'm guilty.
Clive's house needed a bit of a clear out. He had a job squeezing himself in and out of his door and the poops were taking over so i did the dirty deed while he was out.

He was not a happy hamster when he got home.

Ria P
06-28-2022, 02:16 AM
Clive has taken to burrowing lately and he told me that he wanted his home set up accordingly.

Ok, he can't talk but his actions made his needs very clear. He kept pushing the cork log up wanting to burrow underneath but the log hit the ladder. Lots of banging.
He tried to push the coconut out of the way and he chewed the long wicker tunnel, trying to get rid of it i guess.

So i removed everything that was in his way and set up a top run with a Pringle and porridge tube on degus shelves. The degus shelves came from Rory's cage who moved into a bungalow recently. The cork log now act as an access step and a walk through and the coconut is next to his house like a shed.
He now has a bigger burrowing area and hasn't lost anything. I think he likes it because there were no tantrums.

cloudy
06-28-2022, 03:05 AM
Clive did really well to communicate that to you. It sounds like you have set everything up how it likes it now. :)

Ria P
07-08-2022, 01:58 PM
Clive trying to look innocent after knocking his water bowl over.

cloudy
07-09-2022, 01:31 AM
Aww, he really does look innocent! What a cute picture.

Ria P
07-10-2022, 12:21 AM
Aww, he really does look innocent! What a cute picture.

Thanks. Looking at Clive's face always makes me smile. He enjoys a little head stroke now after a long freeroaming session. Never before because he's far too eager to get down on the floor.
I replaced his water bowl with a second bottle. He's too much of a climbing, fidgety monkey and got his paw wet last time.

cloudy
07-10-2022, 02:23 AM
Thanks. Looking at Clive's face always makes me smile. He enjoys a little head stroke now after a long freeroaming session. Never before because he's far too eager to get down on the floor.
I replaced his water bowl with a second bottle. He's too much of a climbing, fidgety monkey and got his paw wet last time.

It is lovely he will enjoy a little stroke now and then. It sounds like a good idea to replace his water bowl with a bottle. :)

ilguy
07-10-2022, 12:45 PM
That one with him looking guilty is too good! Do hamsters ever feel guilty? They seem to have a pretty decent emotional intelligence, but that's one thing I haven't seen so far this early in hamster ownership.

Ria P
07-10-2022, 01:24 PM
Clive is a sable and naturally looks a bit sheepish but i have a photo on my Foster hamsters thread page 41, of a hamster called Peppe standing right next to the plant he had just pulled out. There's something amusingly guilty looking about his face but of course we can only go by body language and behaviour because they can't tell us how they feel.

Chicleteer
07-11-2022, 10:16 AM

OMG, what a great picture! Still laughing....:D

Ria P
07-11-2022, 11:06 AM
OMG, what a great picture! Still laughing....:D

Yes, he is a comical one.

Stanza
07-11-2022, 03:00 PM

Te, he, he’s such a handsome fella. :)

Pebbles82
07-11-2022, 06:01 PM
Great photo. It looks like a combination of "you caught me at it" and surprise! I've always wanted a sable hamster - love that colouring.

Ria P
07-18-2022, 10:19 AM
Clive seems to be the only one bothered by the heat but he enjoyed a small piece of water melon earlier. He comes out to see me when i check on him. He even climbed out of his cage for a cuddle!! No wriggling, ears down, with his head on me, getting stroked. That is so not Clive.

So i went to the kitchen to fetch him a small piece of grape from the fridge and put it in his cage. Clive grabbed the grape and literally bounced off with it to his house, ears up.

Now i'm wondering if he's being a crafty little devil....

cloudy
07-18-2022, 10:47 AM
Oh my gosh! That is so clever. It is like he thought, the watermelon was nice maybe a cuddle will get me more.....

Pebbles82
07-19-2022, 10:28 AM
Yep! Newt used to play this trick as if to pretend I had forgotten to give him his veg and I'd end up putting it out twice. The veg went in a special place separate from his food and when he woke up before it was there he'd stand at this place and literally gesture with his head and look at me as if to say - where is it?! A number of times I thought - I'm sure I already put it out but he's asking me where it is so I must have forgotten or it's fallen down on the substrate or something. So I'd put another bit out. 10 mins later he was doing the same thing again! And I knew I had already put it out!
I

cloudy
07-19-2022, 10:30 AM
Yep! Newt used to play this trick as if to pretend I had forgotten to give him his veg and I'd end up putting it out twice. The veg went in a special place separate from his food and when he woke up before it was there he'd stand at this place and literally gesture with his head and look at me as if to say - where is it?! A number of times I thought - I'm sure I already put it out but he's asking me where it is so I must have forgotten or it's fallen down on the substrate or something. So I'd put another bit out. 10 mins later he was doing the same thing again! And I knew I had already put it out!
I
Lol thats really funny! He fooled you some of the time.

Pebbles82
07-19-2022, 11:42 AM
Yes he did - he was crafty. Clive sounds more like he is offering rewards for more fruit and veg :-) Although to be fair they probably really appreciate it in the heat.

Ria P
07-20-2022, 03:46 PM
The result of excessive freeroaming.

cloudy
07-20-2022, 03:47 PM
Oh how sweet! He tired himself out. I love that picture.

Ria P
07-21-2022, 12:44 AM
That hamster is such a monkey!

I identified 3 fall risks last night, 2 of them were demonstrated by Clive himself. The height involved was borderline, probably ok but like humans, hamsters can fall awkwardly.

He climbed off a big shelf onto the wicker tunnel underneath as intended then checked out the small gap between wheel and shelf. And then he edged a little sideways to jump off headfirst onto the bendy bridge. Plonk. No harm done but i wedged his hyacinth tunnel between bendy bridge and wicker tunnel.

The degu platform opposite is lower with substrate and a coconut hide underneath but not intended to be jumped off from. Clive showed me that it can be done. Now the degu platform has a porridge tube attached for Clive to run through.

The sputnik was accessible from 2 sides but the 3rd was a drop onto substrate. Not an issue until Clive decided to increase the height of the drop by back shovelling the substrate. Have removed the sputnik.

Did Clive accept the adjustments? No, he bit me.

Pebbles82
07-21-2022, 01:17 AM
Ah - happy first day in new cage then :-) Yes they will show you where the risks are lol and jump off anything they're not supposed to (or you can't imagine why they would). Usually after the first day or so in a new cage, they get into more of a boring routine!

Hope he settles down now. Maybe he wanted the sputnik back! Sometimes I've put something underneath the sputnik so they can step out of it or not have so far to fall. Like one of those little cardboard hay houses or something. They tend not to dig the substrate out in an area where there's something standing. Although it has been known!

Don't know what it is makes them want to hurl themselves out of the sputnik! You reminded me why I used to put the roof tube there in the first place!

Stanza
07-21-2022, 01:32 AM
The result of excessive freeroaming.

Te, he, great photo, he’s all worn out little cutie.

Stanza
07-21-2022, 01:37 AM
That hamster is such a monkey!

I identified 3 fall risks last night, 2 of them were demonstrated by Clive himself. The height involved was borderline, probably ok but like humans, hamsters can fall awkwardly.

He climbed off a big shelf onto the wicker tunnel underneath as intended then checked out the small gap between wheel and shelf. And then he edged a little sideways to jump off headfirst onto the bendy bridge. Plonk. No harm done but i wedged his hyacinth tunnel between bendy bridge and wicker tunnel.

The degu platform opposite is lower with substrate and a coconut hide underneath but not intended to be jumped off from. Clive showed me that it can be done. Now the degu platform has a porridge tube attached for Clive to run through.

The sputnik was accessible from 2 sides but the 3rd was a drop onto substrate. Not an issue until Clive decided to increase the height of the drop by back shovelling the substrate. Have removed the sputnik.

Did Clive accept the adjustments? No, he bit me.

Ouch! Will you try putting it back in at some point? Clive sounds very adventurous, exploring his new home.

I’m about to add a Sputnik to Hams home, after reading this and Serendipity’s I’m thinking I need to consider something to stop him potentially falling out the third opening. Think I’ll give it some more thought before I go ahead. Maybe I could block that exit with cardboard?

cloudy
07-21-2022, 02:02 AM
It is lucky you were awake and saw all this! Hamsters really find any tiny gap or possibility to scare us!

Ria P
07-21-2022, 11:45 AM
Will you try putting it back in at some point?

Probably not because i would have to make all 3 openings safe by leading them onto shelves and by connecting to a tube.To do that i would have to rethink the whole set up while working around the top door. Clive is a very agile, small Syrian who does unwise things simply because he can.

There is one alternative Rodney had in his younger days and that is to feed a expandable plastic tube through the sputnik but it changes the purpose of the sputnik.

After last nights events, Clive sat on his tile and really worked his "guilty" expression to the max. No matter what this lovable little rogue does, he always makes me laugh.

Ria P
07-21-2022, 02:11 PM
So i have compromised and put up a small sputnik with one side undone and a bendy bridge underneath it. See how that goes.
The tile under the shelf is a favoured spot.

Ria P
07-21-2022, 02:27 PM
Nah, that made it too cluttered and he likes climbing from wicker tunnel to shelf. That's it. I'm going to stop flaffing and see how he gets on. What he really wants is as much out of cage time as possible. He's been running around for ages.

Stanza
07-21-2022, 03:14 PM
So i have compromised and put up a small sputnik with one side undone and a bendy bridge underneath it. See how that goes.
The tile under the shelf is a favoured spot.

His little face in these photos is so adorable.

Pebbles82
07-21-2022, 03:29 PM
He is adorable isn't he! I love his face.

Ria P
07-21-2022, 11:24 PM
Yes, he is a lovely boy. I have a lot of tubing from cages i took to the tip and Clive is small enough to easily run through them. I'm now thinking of creating some sort of a roof run.......

Ria P
07-22-2022, 02:31 AM
The nut on Clive's new Silent Runner came loose so the wheel clonked against the bars. Not happy about that as Jack's wheel on the stand doesn't come loose but its quite bouncy. It's more stable attached to the bars but no good if it comes loose.

I could attach the stand to the bars i think and wonder if that would make any difference.

Quality control really has gone out the window which is ever so irritating.

cloudy
07-22-2022, 02:38 AM
I have found this too. It is such a shame but I could not stand the Silent Runner Orko has as every second day it had to be adjusted. I hear people say how that never happens to them so maybe the quality has changed.

Ria P
07-22-2022, 04:45 AM
I have four Silent Runners and the other three are fine. I'll give it another few days but if it keeps happening i' ll contact the sugarglider shop. It's a shame that the Niteangel Cloud wheel is not available in a Syrian size.

cloudy
07-22-2022, 04:51 AM
I have four Silent Runners and the other three are fine. I'll give it another few days but if it keeps happening i' ll contact the sugarglider shop. It's a shame that the Niteangel Cloud wheel is not available in a Syrian size.

It is a shame. I saw they do a wheel that is 12.5 inches but it is a lot more expensive then the cloud one.

Ria P
07-22-2022, 05:12 AM
I like the design of the Cloud wheel. It's almost impossible to find a Syrian sized, good quality, enclosed wheel. I've just emailed the sugarglider shop. They ought to know that i'm not happy.

cloudy
07-22-2022, 05:13 AM
I like the design of the Cloud wheel. It's almost impossible to find a Syrian sized, good quality, enclosed wheel. I've just emailed the sugarglider shop. They ought to know that i'm not happy.

I also love the enclosed design. I hope they give you a satisfactory email. They just suggested I use Velcro when I emailed them.

Ria P
07-22-2022, 05:42 AM
I also love the enclosed design. I hope they give you a satisfactory email. They just suggested I use Velcro when I emailed them.

Velcro?! What are you supposed to keep in place with that?

cloudy
07-22-2022, 05:46 AM
Velcro?! What are you supposed to keep in place with that?

The stand. They said it will rattle if applied to cage bars.

Ria P
07-22-2022, 02:53 PM
I put in a roof run while Clive was free roaming. He checked it out and went up from the left back shelf, run through it and to the right shelf exit but he didn't come out that way. He turned around inside the tube, went through it again and came out the way he went it.Must be hamster logik.

Another place for him to go, its not in the way and it shouldn't create any health and safety issues.

Clive locked his house door. Jam packed with substrate to keep me out. He sleeps in the burrowing area but once the novelty wears off i expect he'll move back in his house.

He's not in this photo because he's gone out again.

cloudy
07-22-2022, 03:16 PM
Lol. He has his own ideas. You are so creative with your set ups.

Pebbles82
07-23-2022, 07:12 AM
Wow - that’s a long roof run! He’ll enjoy that. I can’t see properly from the photo but does one end of the tubes go down vertically? That might make him a bit unsure coming out that end but he will no doubt get the hang of that! Our first Syrian dithered about vertical tubes then got the hang of it after being brave one day!

I actually prefer open wheels these days. They’re easier for older hamsters sp it saves changing the wheel later. But there is so little choice. I am happy with the Rodipet one but it isn’t available any more it seems.

I had one silent runner where the rear nut used to work loose and I just had to tighten it regularly - checked it most days.

Yes it is very much buyer beware these days with quality - I think we need to be prepared to return anything that’s not right - but it’s really annoying wheh sellers tell you it’s fine! I never did get my silent runner sent back and it’s sat there unused. I could doctor it but I’m off them and think quality has changed.

cloudy
07-23-2022, 07:24 AM
Wow - that’s a long roof run! He’ll enjoy that. I can’t see properly from the photo but does one end of the tubes go down vertically? That might make him a bit unsure coming out that end but he will no doubt get the hang of that! Our first Syrian dithered about vertical tubes then got the hang of it after being brave one day!

I actually prefer open wheels these days. They’re easier for older hamsters sp it saves changing the wheel later. But there is so little choice. I am happy with the Rodipet one but it isn’t available any more it seems.

I had one silent runner where the rear nut used to work loose and I just had to tighten it regularly - checked it most days.

Yes it is very much buyer beware these days with quality - I think we need to be prepared to return anything that’s not right - but it’s really annoying wheh sellers tell you it’s fine! I never did get my silent runner sent back and it’s sat there unused. I could doctor it but I’m off them and think quality has changed.

Just thought I would show you this wheel as it looks similar to the ex Rodipet one.
30cm Silent Wooden Wheel – Hope's Healthy Treats (https://hopeshealthytreats.com/products/30cm-silent-wooden-wheel)

Ria P
07-23-2022, 08:05 AM
The tube isn't vertical but leads from the roof to a shelf so he goes up and down a slope. I can send a better photo when i get home tomorrow.

The wheel nut was still tight this morning so i'll keep checking it.
Clive definitely prefers an enclosed wheel. I have so many different wheel scattered around the free roaming areas and he always runs on the enclosed ones.

Pebbles82
07-23-2022, 08:42 AM
Just thought I would show you this wheel as it looks similar to the ex Rodipet one.
30cm Silent Wooden Wheel – Hope's Healthy Treats (https://hopeshealthytreats.com/products/30cm-silent-wooden-wheel)

Wow! What a find. Now that is exactly what I wanted, instead of the enormous 32cm one! It does look virtually identical design to the rodipet ones. But with slightly different centre wood bit and different shaped base. Slightly cheaper as well.

cloudy
07-23-2022, 08:49 AM
Wow! What a find. Now that is exactly what I wanted, instead of the enormous 32cm one! It does look virtually identical design to the rodipet ones. But with slightly different centre wood bit and different shaped base. Slightly cheaper as well.

I hope you can buy one. :)

Stanza
07-23-2022, 01:17 PM
I put in a roof run while Clive was free roaming. He checked it out and went up from the left back shelf, run through it and to the right shelf exit but he didn't come out that way. He turned around inside the tube, went through it again and came out the way he went it.Must be hamster logik.

Wow! What a fabulous roof run. It’s giving me ideas :)

Are these rat tubes? They look larger than any hamster ones I’ve seen? We still have the ones that came with the hamster heaven but they’re a bit of a squeeze for Hams.

Stanza
07-23-2022, 01:18 PM

Oooooooooo, like the look of this wheel :). Thanks Cloudy

cloudy
07-23-2022, 01:22 PM
Oooooooooo, like the look of this wheel :). Thanks Cloudy

My pleasure. :)

Pebbles82
07-23-2022, 05:16 PM
I hope you can buy one. :)

I don't really need to now I've got the 32cm one. But .... it would take up less space in the cage! Mind you Raffy absolutely loves his 32cm wheel - but then he loves running in any wheel! But the 10" Carolina Storm wheel he didn't run well in at all.

cloudy
07-24-2022, 12:46 AM
I don't really need to now I've got the 32cm one. But .... it would take up less space in the cage! Mind you Raffy absolutely loves his 32cm wheel - but then he loves running in any wheel! But the 10" Carolina Storm wheel he didn't run well in at all.

It is good to hear Raffy loves his wheel. :)

Ria P
07-24-2022, 09:01 AM
Better view of the tube that's not level and not vertical.

And Clive just now surfacing for an afternoon snack.

Overnight, he completely sunk the bendy bridge. He probably didn't manage to tip it over so he sunk it. He does that with stuff he doesn't want.

cloudy
07-24-2022, 09:06 AM
That is really clever. It is like he thinks it will disappear. He is so cute.

Pebbles82
07-24-2022, 10:50 AM
Yes I see now :-) His little face! Raffy buries things by accident. More and more substrate appears next to his house (which buries the bendy bridge. I swear he's manufacturing it. More likely is that there is virtually none left under his house and he's dug/pushed it all out round the edges.

Ria P
07-24-2022, 11:22 AM
Yes I see now :-) His little face! Raffy buries things by accident. More and more substrate appears next to his house (which buries the bendy bridge. I swear he's manufacturing it. More likely is that there is virtually none left under his house and he's dug/pushed it all out round the edges.

Isn't Raffy's house on stilts?

Pebbles82
07-24-2022, 04:23 PM
Yes it is - it could still be devoid of substrate underneath I guess! Need to have peak. He did that with his shoebox house too - tunnelled under it a lot and the potty used to end up at the bottom of the cage and big holes in the substrate inside the house!

He does have an intact nest though.

Ria P
07-26-2022, 01:20 PM
I was just sitting on the floor with Jack when i heard suspicious rustling in the hall so looked over the devider.

Clive! The little monkey was climbing up the trousers hanging over the bannister to dry!!
No doubt, he was trying to get over the stair barrier.

cloudy
07-26-2022, 01:26 PM
Oh wow! Imagine trying to climb trousers. Lol.

Ria P
07-26-2022, 01:49 PM
Oh wow! Imagine trying to climb trousers. Lol.

Hamsters are very resourceful and determined little creatures.

Ria P
08-10-2022, 04:06 AM
Ah - happy first day in new cage then :-) Yes they will show you where the risks are lol and jump off anything they're not supposed to (or you can't imagine why they would). Usually after the first day or so in a new cage, they get into more of a boring routine

You were so right about this Serendipity.

He only jumped off things the first day and then used the cage as intended (by me).
I left the wicker tunnel under the big shelf but have relocated the hyacinth tunnel because he kept moving it too close to the wheel. Tried a small Pringle tube instead but he also tried to move it out of the way so took it out. I think that he wants to burrow there without any obstructions.
If he does jump off the shelf, he'd land on deep substrate but i don't think that he will, now that he knows that its doable.

Clive has changed colour and is going lighter and lighter. Never seen that in a Syrian to that extent. In a dwarf yes, Edwina changed from almost black to a very light grey.

Clive looks like a patchwork quilt because his cream undercoat is showing through but he's not losing fur. His bum area and paws have always been cream. I'll try and get a photo tonight.

Ria P
08-10-2022, 07:34 AM
Clive started of as a dark grey then brown hamster and now he looks like this.

He just licked up some chilled fruity baby rice (non dairy).53541

cloudy
08-10-2022, 07:42 AM
That is a really beautiful colour. It is so interesting they way his fur has changed colour three times.

Ria P
08-10-2022, 08:25 AM
That is a really beautiful colour. It is so interesting they way his fur has changed colour three times.

It's not a good photo because the curtains are drawn and he was on the move but he looks patchy. I think that he looked way better with the brown coat, not that it matters one little bit. He always had a cream undercoat but i wonder why his top coat is changing colour.
Rodney faded with age and Rory turned orange but Clive is still under a year.

cloudy
08-10-2022, 08:36 AM
It's not a good photo because the curtains are drawn and he was on the move but he looks patchy. I think that he looked way better with the brown coat, not that it matters one little bit. He always had a cream undercoat but i wonder why his top coat is changing colour.
Rodney faded with age and Rory turned orange but Clive is still under a year.
I know this is different but I had a ginger guinea pig who turned brown then developed darker patches. I never knew why.

Ria P
08-10-2022, 09:44 AM
I know this is different but I had a ginger guinea pig who turned brown then developed darker patches. I never knew why.

That's interesting. Was the guinea pig healthy?

cloudy
08-10-2022, 11:10 AM
Yes she was healthy. She was healthy up to the age of 4 were she developed a tumour. It was managed with pain relief for several months before I had to decide to have her put to sleep.

Ria P
08-14-2022, 02:13 PM
53560I just told Clive that this crazy heat is coming to an end soon. He's the one most affected by it. He looks doubtful though.

Ria P
08-14-2022, 02:23 PM
Clive free roamed twice tonight and then dozed off.
Jack's layed out like a rug in front of his wheel and Rory is asleep in his sandpit. Even Scottie is pancaking on a shelf.
Finley hasn't surfaced yet and Rodney is running around. He's always been the least affected by the heat.53561

cloudy
08-15-2022, 01:24 AM
What a fantastic expression! He really does look doubtful. :)

Ria P
08-16-2022, 02:40 AM
53570Clive never fails to make me smile.

cloudy
08-16-2022, 02:44 AM
That is the most adorable picture ever!

Ria P
08-16-2022, 02:48 AM
Thanks. I've never seen him sit like that.

cloudy
08-16-2022, 02:50 AM
It is lucky he stayed still long enough for you to take the picture. :)

ilguy
08-17-2022, 02:09 PM
That is way too cute, I wonder if he would have stayed seated to munch on a seed if he had one

Ria P
08-17-2022, 04:18 PM
That is way too cute, I wonder if he would have stayed seated to munch on a seed if he had one

He stayed seated for ages and probably would have munched a seed. He had the table ready...

Pebbles82
08-17-2022, 05:22 PM
He is very chilled. When they're relaxed and warm their man parts descend and they sit on them like cushions :-)

Ria P
08-31-2022, 04:18 PM
I've noticed that Clive's been sleeping at the entrance of his burrow lately. Earlier in the day there was a lot of noisy cluttering and moving around of hamster mix in the base of his cage.

I wonder if Clive has hoarded so much that he has run out of space for himself.

His cage is due a check for any fresh food leftovers so i'll have a look when he's out freeroaming.

cloudy
09-01-2022, 12:08 AM
Wow. I am curious to know if he has a huge hoard.

Ria P
09-01-2022, 01:22 AM
Wow. I am curious to know if he has a huge hoard.

Same here but i have to think how best to approach this. Clive is a sensitive hamster and easily upset.

He squealed like a piglet the other morning when my partner called him for his porridge.
He's done that before when i spot cleaned his cage while he was in the substrate somewhere.
Of course we backed off but he can get himself into a right state.

cloudy
09-01-2022, 02:43 AM
Aw. He does sound sensitive. I hope you can figure out a way that suits him.

ilguy
09-09-2022, 10:38 PM
I used to think the scream of a dwarf hamster was the worst sound anyone could possibly hear, but that's right. Syrians have that awful sound, its just the worst when they sound so scared :(

Ria P
09-11-2022, 02:57 AM
Syrians have a huge range of vocalisations. Clive is the most vocal one here. I think he's scared when he squeals but when he squawks its more annoyance. I've never heard them screech like dwarfs do. An angrily screeching dwarf makes anyone back off, lol.

lovehamsters01
09-11-2022, 06:23 PM
funnily enough my one Syrian Daisy doesn't make any sound whatsoever. I believe she screamed the 1st night we got her when she was scared so i know she's able to, but since then, I never once heard anything from her!
my robos on the other hand make this clicking/squeaking noise the whole night long. their tanks are right next to each other, so I guess they're communicating? I don't know but its adorable.
and then my dwarf hamster Dusty once squealed when I was cutting his nails (oops:sad:) but other then that I've never heard him make a sound either

ilguy
09-11-2022, 09:02 PM
I've heard the click/squeak combo a few times with my winter whites, I think it's usually a "happy to see you" or "come over" sort of deal.

The pure click is just always "go away".

lovehamsters01
09-12-2022, 10:13 PM
I've heard the click/squeak combo a few times with my winter whites, I think it's usually a "happy to see you" or "come over" sort of deal.

The pure click is just always "go away".

oh, that makes sense. I also find my robos do it for the 1st hour or two when they're doing their 'chores' around the cage but are still too sleepy to go on their wheels. so, I'll hear little clicks/squeaks as they stock up on food, update their hoards, make new tunnels etc. I just assume it means that they're content and enjoying themselves. at least I hope that's what it means!;)

Ria P
09-17-2022, 09:42 AM
Following on from the "moulting" thread, i've decided to rule out anything environmental before taking Clive to the vet, should his hair loss get worse or not improve.

I do believe that Clive has been very poorly bred. He's probably the result of a backyard breeder breeding hamsters that weren't compatible but this is speculation because i don't know.

He's small and his fur is incredibly soft like a bird's fluffy underside. He never had a thick coat to start off with and he scents frantically when out and i talk to him or try to pick him up which wouldn't help matters.

The other thing i've noticed is that he has a huge hoard in the burrowing area of his cage where he sleeps. There's sometimes quite a commotion down there creating a lot of noise. Now i'm wondering if he sleeps in the hoard and moving around on the grains caused his fur to rub off.

So, today i took the little man out and put him in a holding box which i put in another room. I then took all the substrate out from the burrowing area and removed the layer of hoard from the bottom of the cage. Clive is now sleeping on soft Kaytee clean and cozy.
I checked the substrate and established that his poops are normal and there wasn't anything unsavoury to be found.

Surprisingly, Clive didn't get upset. He really seems to trust me now which is lovely.

I'm also starting a food diary for Clive in my own diary. Leafy greens are off the menu anyway because he can't tolerate them. I think too many sunflower seeds can also contribute to hairloss so they will be rationed to a couple daily. He needs to cut back on junk food and i need to find a healthier substitute for a nibble stick or only give him a stick on the 2 nights pw i'm at work and he can't get out to free roam. Linseeds he gets anyway and i'll supplement him with Dr S potent brew once a week but need to weigh him first to get the dosage right. He'll get a bit more protein as well.
Today he had a cube of fresh tofu and loved it.

See if that makes any difference.
If anybody has any thoughts on that, please let me know.

cloudy
09-17-2022, 09:48 AM
So Clive loves tofu too! How cute. It is lovely he trusts you so much and was okay with you tidying up his cage. His hoard must have been making it uncomfortable for him to burrow and sleep underground.

Ria P
09-17-2022, 10:06 AM
So Clive loves tofu too! How cute. It is lovely he trusts you so much and was okay with you tidying up his cage. His hoard must have been making it uncomfortable for him to burrow and sleep underground.

Could be but i don't really know. I'm trying to find out by elimination. I have noticed lately that he often sleeps by the entrance tunnel. I went through the substrate i took out and couldn't find any hairs which is something else that puzzles me.

Ria P
09-17-2022, 10:08 AM
And yes, the nose appeared from the substrate almost instantly when i put the tofu in. The nose spent ages sniffing before the rest of the hamster followed and gobbled up all the tofu.

cloudy
09-17-2022, 10:17 AM
So it looks like hamsters seem to like tofu. How funny he had not tried it before but he sensed it and came out to eat it right away.

cloudy
09-17-2022, 10:22 AM
I just thought, could Clive be eating his hair? I wondered if you cannot find it if he eats it. I wonder if he is over grooming perhaps. Sorry if that sounds dumb. Just a thought as I know guinea pigs do this. They call it barbering.

Ria P
09-17-2022, 10:33 AM
I just thought, could Clive be eating his hair? I wondered if you cannot find it if he eats it. I wonder if he is over grooming perhaps. Sorry if that sounds dumb. Just a thought as I know guinea pigs do this. They call it barbering.

I never thought of that. That's a very valid point though. Thank you. That would also account for the neck and head areas staying intact. I know that he licks his scent glands.
Do you know why he would do that? I can imagine that could be quite dangerous and cause internal blockages.

cloudy
09-17-2022, 11:04 AM
Some say it is due to boredom or stress but many happy guinea pigs have done it and the carer never knew why.

If Clive is loosing hair in the areas he can reach then perhaps he is actually barbering. I have never known it to be dangerous for guinea pigs as they seem to be able to digest it. They can digest hay which is really tough.

Actually, when I was new to guinea pigs I used to hold my baby piggy against my shoulder and she would happily stay there for ages. A few weeks later I happen to notice my hair was all different lengths. She was enjoying eating it! It never did her any harm but I made sure to tie my hair up after that.

Ria P
09-17-2022, 11:25 AM
Some say it is due to boredom or stress but many happy guinea pigs have done it and the carer never knew why.

If Clive is loosing hair in the areas he can reach then perhaps he is actually barbering. I have never known it to be dangerous for guinea pigs as they seem to be able to digest it. They can digest hay which is really tough.

Actually, when I was new to guinea pigs I used to hold my baby piggy against my shoulder and she would happily stay there for ages. A few weeks later I happen to notice my hair was all different lengths. She was enjoying eating it! It never did her any harm but I made sure to tie my hair up after that.

Haha! That gives barbaring a whole new dimension. I think it would be harmful to hamsters because fluffy bedding and fibres when ingested can lead to blockages.
I'll give it another week or so to see if there's any improvement but if not, i'll take him to the vet.

cloudy
09-17-2022, 11:29 AM
Oh I see. I can understand your concerns. I hope Clive stops doing this, if he is. I always wish we could get underground cameras. It would be brilliant to know what goes on under there.

Ria P
09-17-2022, 12:11 PM
Oh I see. I can understand your concerns. I hope Clive stops doing this, if he is. I always wish we could get underground cameras. It would be brilliant to know what goes on under there.

I read on here about someone's hamster escaping and going down a pipe. They bought an endoscopic camera to go down the pipe and located the hamster. They baited him out with cheese i think it was.
I suppose a camera like that would need to go into a Robo proof encasing.
I wonder how David Attenborough's camera team gets these amazing underground shots.

cloudy
09-17-2022, 12:32 PM
I can imagine a hamster trying to chew it up or covering it with bedding so we cannot see what they are doing.

There was a programme that followed the lives of rabbits. They had all this amazing footage of their burrows. Then they revealed it was a custom made habitat and they were able to install cameras before the rabbits arrived.

Ria P
09-17-2022, 12:38 PM
I can imagine a hamster trying to chew it up or covering it with bedding so we cannot see what they are doing.

There was a programme that followed the lives of rabbits. They had all this amazing footage of their burrows. Then they revealed it was a custom made habitat and they were able to install cameras before the rabbits arrived.

Oh! I have seen footage of wild Robos but maybe they were staged as well.

cloudy
09-17-2022, 12:39 PM
Oh! I have seen footage of wild Robos but maybe they were staged as well.

I actually have a feeling they were. It is most disappointing!

Ria P
09-17-2022, 03:55 PM
After saying all that earlier i had a good look at Clive under the light tonight. The skin looks healthy but i think he looks even bolder so i'm going to take him to the vet.

cloudy
09-18-2022, 02:17 AM
I hope the vet visit goes well.

Ria P
09-20-2022, 02:11 PM
Thanks. Couldn't get an appointment with one of the two hamster knowledgeable vets until Monday but it's not an emergency and i didn't want to see one of the other vets.

Clive's very annoyed because i'm keeping them in separate playgrounds with their own toys for now.
I'm really curious to hear what the vet thinks.

Clive's as lively as ever and currently hopping around me, trying to climb up to attempt a jump over the devider. Had to move myself away because Jack's running around on the other side.

cloudy
09-20-2022, 02:34 PM
It is really good to hear Clive is full of beans.:)

Ria P
09-26-2022, 02:51 AM
I warned the vet that Clive is highly strung and very vocal but doesn't bite. True to himself, Clive squealed and squawked loudly while she examined him.
She also thinks its hormonal and a problem with his endocrine system or a seasonal moult. She's ruled out mites, ringworm etc because there are no indications of that. She did mention cushings but said that alopecia on both sides usually happens in the later stages and that there would be other symptoms as well.
Good thing is that i can let Clive free roam in the spare room as well. I've kept the hamsters in seperate playgrounds and they are not happy.

Ria P
09-26-2022, 02:58 AM
I told the vet that i'd be happy to wait and see for a while because some patches are starting to show a thin covering of fur and Clive is not affected at all. He lost his hair and good looks for now but that doesn't matter as long as he's well in himself.
I also suspect that he has been very poorly bred and maybe he's the result of a pairing that wasn't compatible. They do breed hairless hamsters. Maybe he's a werewolf hamster!
Does this sound absurd or plausible? Happens with guinea pigs.

Ria P
09-26-2022, 03:05 AM
Vet is going to contact the big exotics hospital for advice because she's a bit puzzled as well.
I could go directly to the exotics hospital but their fees are astronomical. Before Romy had her scan, vet and i talked about surgery should it be pyometra.
Their quote was £260. Same as i paid for Clarissa's surgery. The quote for pyometra surgery at the exotics hospital was £800 - £900.

cloudy
09-26-2022, 03:09 AM
It could very well be Clive has some hairless genes. I know about werewolf guinea pigs and the mess humans have done breeding skinny pigs and crossing them with guinea pigs.

I think it is so reassuring to know it is not mites or ringworm. Did you ask the vet if he could be eating his own fur?

Gosh, that is a huge difference in price at the exotic vets! It is really great you have found a vet who understands hamsters. I had to register Orko with an exotic vet as round here non say they know anything about hamsters and say it is best to go exotic.

Ria P
09-26-2022, 11:09 AM
I forgot to ask about Clive possibly eating his own hair.

There's something endearingly babyish about Clive. The vet is lovely and great at handling hamsters but Clive squealed and squawked because she's a stranger. Soon as he was handed back to mum (me) he was quiet.

cloudy
09-26-2022, 11:18 AM
:Oh how precious! Clive will always be your baby.:)

Pebbles82
09-26-2022, 02:09 PM
Good that he trusts you :-)

Stanza
09-27-2022, 09:31 AM
Good news there is no sign of mites, ringworm etc but I guess still puzzling for you as there is still hair loss. Nice of your vet to message the exotic vets to see if they can think of other reasons. Hopefully they’ll respond quickly.

I didn’t realise the price change was so big. My local vets said they are happy to check Hams if he becomes poorly but for anything out of their knowledge he’d have to go to the exotic vets which is a 30-40min drive.

Pleased Clive seems well in himself and so cute he stopped squeaking when you took him back to hold, shows how comfortable and loved he feels with you.

Pebbles82
09-27-2022, 11:10 AM
How old is he again Ria? It could just be an ageing thing. Although I find that tends to start behind the ears first. I always understood that the only way they could rule out mites was to do a skin scraping and look under the microscope. Although usually they have scratched themselves and made their skin sore with mites.

Ria P
09-27-2022, 12:14 PM
Providing the people i bought him from were truthful, he is 11 months and not old enough to show signs of aging.

If he had mites, i think the others would have them too. I don't use hay and freeze all food and cork logs. A demodex overgrowth doesn't itch but looks quite different.

Clive's been changing colour to much lighter ever since i got him but it could also have been a very gradual thinning of his fur, come to think of it now. His undercoat is cream and his back end as well.

If he were a human, i'd say that he has a thyroid problem.

As a side note: I'm now no longer convinced that mite treatment is as toxic as people think. I'm also no longer convinced that a skin scrape is necessary when there are clear symptoms of mites.
Reason for that is that Rodney had no side effects of the anti parasite treatment even though he's old and has a suspected infection.

ShadowNinjaHamster
09-28-2022, 03:01 PM
Aww, he looks cute!
I've never seen such a hamster before.

Ria P
09-28-2022, 03:19 PM
He's a sable.

Ria P
10-07-2022, 01:07 PM
The exotics vet thinks that Clive could have cushings disease or cutaneous lymphoma and my vet thinks it could be genetic and Clive could have been born with a poor immune system. She wants to rule out a simple demodex overgrowth that led to bald patches by treating him for demodex. She says it won't do any harm if that's not the case and its not invasive. I'm all for it because it would also eradicate any internal parasites should Clive carry any.

She is looking into a saliva test to test for cushings but she also knows of his nervous disposition and the level of stress this would cause him. Her approach is holistic and person/animal centred which is something i agree with.

By that i mean that, if tests and treatments would cause more distress than the symptoms of an illness, i would not go down that route.

Because of Clive's squealing and squawking she forgot to weigh him but needs it for his records. I thought my scales were wrong when it showed over 200g so i took him to the animal hospital to get weighed. 205g. I didn't think that he was that heavy. I hope there's nothing sinister going on inside him.

He slept in the transport box but immediately started to squeal when he woke in unfamiliar surroundings. I picked him up, cuddled him and he stopped at once and stayed quiet.

Whatever is going to happen, my main concern will always be his happiness and comfort.

cloudy
10-07-2022, 01:12 PM
I am sorry to hear this Ria. Despite cushings Clive seems very well in himself. It is just so sweet how he is reassured by you cuddling him. 205g is a wonderful weight.

Ria P
10-07-2022, 01:38 PM
That's the feedback from the exotics vet which doesn't mean that he has it. My vet picks the exotics vet's very expensive brains even though she has a lot of hamster knowledge herself.

I always thought that Clive has poor genetics due to poor breeding so i'm not surprised that things are starting to go wrong at a year old.

He's happy and enjoying life which is the main thing. Anything that crops up healthwise, we'll just have to deal with it with whatever means are best for him.

cloudy
10-07-2022, 02:27 PM
I remember you saying you think Clive has poor genetics.

You are so right, Clive is happy and full of beans.

ShadowNinjaHamster
10-08-2022, 06:46 AM
I remember you saying you think Clive has poor genetics.

You are so right, Clive is happy and full of beans.

Still, a cute looking hamster. Never seen such a hamster before. :P

Ria P
10-11-2022, 05:57 AM
Clive is the only Syrian of all five of them, including our late Henry, who sleeps in a cave. He often sleeps by the entrance, almost like he's guarding his hoard.

Sometimes he goes into his house but locks the door by blocking it with substrate when he comes out. He must keep some valuables in there.

cloudy
10-11-2022, 06:14 AM
Haha how cute! That is a lovely picture of Clive.

Pebbles82
10-12-2022, 03:58 AM
That looks like a cosy cave :-) Lovely photo

Stanza
10-14-2022, 01:33 PM
This is such an adorable photo of Clive. Is this where he sleeps. It looks very cosy.

Ria P
10-14-2022, 02:35 PM
Yes, Clive mostly sleeps underground.
Often i can hear him cluttering about with his whimzee and food. Sometimes when we call him for his porridge, he squeals and squawks loudly until he surfaces, sees the porridge, goes quiet and tucks in.