PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Syrian alone a few nights a week

Chicleteer
05-31-2020, 05:01 PM
Last January my little Chiclet passed on to the rainbow bridge, and I am thinking of getting another Syrian. I would appreciate some advice, however, on the following: my personal situation has changed, where I am now away 2 or 3 nights a week, which was not the case before, and since I live alone, the new hamster would be by itself those nights. Of course I could leave plenty of food and water, and I do feel that the cage is secure (I have a Prevue Pet Small Animal cage, and Chiclet never escaped from it). However I am concerned that (A) it’s really not safe to leave a hamster alone in the house overnight, and (B) would it be stressful for the hamster to see me and (hopefully) interact with me some nights and then be completely alone other nights? I used to take Chiclet out every night and sit with her on the floor in her play area while she ran around joyfully (I hope) hamstering away, often running under and around my legs, sometimes snuggling between my back and the wall and having a good grooming session. We really had a nice relationship! I get a little sad, remembering it even now....

Sorry to digress. Anyhow, I’m hoping to have an interactive relationship with the new hamster (if he/she will permit it), but I don’t want this situation of my being away overnight at times to be a source of stress or confusion.

I will add that I do have a pet-sitter in the neighborhood who used to come in each day or evening to feed and check on Chiclet back when I did have to go out of town for a longer period of time, and she could certainly be a resource here, at least most of the time (when she’s not out of town herself).

I’m very interested in and would appreciate any input on this. I don’t intend to go forward with getting a new hamster if it’s a bad idea under these circumstances, as hard as that would be. Thanks for any help you can give.

Ria P
05-31-2020, 10:08 PM
I am on a 24hr shift right now and normally my partner who is at home, would have been away overnight as well.

Our hamsters live in escape proof cages, have two sources of water and plenty of food available to them at all times.
Our Syrian likes to share our breakfast but comes out of his nest for brunch instead on mornings when i'm not home.

I don't think hamsters get lonely or worry when home alone because their home is their habitat and as long as they're happy in there they are fine.

I do need to mention that all my hamsters are self contained little animals who like their own company and the one who is more sociable with humans is a bit of a daytime hamster who likes out of cage time with me during the day and often sleeps during the night.

I don't know how it would work with a hamster who wants out every evening and bar chews to get attention.

You could enquire at a rescue where the personality and habits of a hamster are already known to find a quieter one and sometimes breeders advertise retired show hamsters with a quiet and independent personality that may be more suitable.

Chicleteer
06-01-2020, 05:38 AM
Thank you, Ria P. Those are helpful insights. I’m thinking of using 2 water sources, one being the water bottle and the other a self-refillable water dish, which I think is very well designed (someone mentioned it on this forum; it’s the Dahey Drinking Water Feeder for small pets), and which is designed so it doesn’t topple over.

As far as the ham wanting out-of-cage time, I’m aware that I may have helped create that situation and expectation by allowing Chiclet lots of time outside the cage initially and all along. It might have helped (and helped my own schedule as well) if I had more limits on it.

In the U.S., there are so few breeders! I wish there were more. I was unable to find one driving distance from Massachusetts, so if anyone knows of one, I’d be very interested. My plan was to get one from a family-owned pet store that specializes in small animals, and who seem to take much better care of the animals than the big pet shops are apt to. Right now, with the virus, they’re not selling live animals, so I’d have to wait anyhow.

Thanks very much for your feedback, Ria! And I hope Master Henry is doing well these days. I really enjoyed his past correspondence with Mistress Poppy.... :)

Presley524
06-01-2020, 10:03 PM
Thank you, Ria P. Those are helpful insights. I’m thinking of using 2 water sources, one being the water bottle and the other a self-refillable water dish, which I think is very well designed (someone mentioned it on this forum; it’s the Dahey Drinking Water Feeder for small pets), and which is designed so it doesn’t topple over.

As far as the ham wanting out-of-cage time, I’m aware that I may have helped create that situation and expectation by allowing Chiclet lots of time outside the cage initially and all along. It might have helped (and helped my own schedule as well) if I had more limits on it.

In the U.S., there are so few breeders! I wish there were more. I was unable to find one driving distance from Massachusetts, so if anyone knows of one, I’d be very interested. My plan was to get one from a family-owned pet store that specializes in small animals, and who seem to take much better care of the animals than the big pet shops are apt to. Right now, with the virus, they’re not selling live animals, so I’d have to wait anyhow.

Thanks very much for your feedback, Ria! And I hope Master Henry is doing well these days. I really enjoyed his past correspondence with Mistress Poppy.... :)

I'm from Maine so I understand the rarity of breeders and hamsters in rescues around here. You could also look on Craigslist of a family rehoming one. That way you could still adopt one that you can know a bit about its personality. As I'm in college, I would stay at my grandmother's three nights a week (since she lives closer to my school) my hamster wasn't completely home alone, my sister would go in to check water and food, but not take them out. My hamster is still very tamed. She never seemed to notice my absent. I personally think that as long as there is plenty of water and food left out and you're 100% sure they won't escape their cage, they should be okay to be left for a few nights.

Ria P
06-01-2020, 11:06 PM
I'm away overnight regularly for one night at a time up to twice a week.

Are you going to be away for 2 or 3 consecutive nights?

If that's the case, i personally wouldn't feel comfortable with that because i'd worry about my hamsters even though they should be alright with it.

Ithuviel
06-02-2020, 01:40 AM
Personally i don't know if hamsters miss the presence of humans. :D Sometimes i think that i'm "forcing" mine to interact with me. (i'm not waking them up or anything but i play with them when they are awake)

Chicleteer
06-02-2020, 06:16 AM
Thank you, all. I'm starting to feel better about the situation. No, it would NEVER be two consecutive nights, definitely not without my getting the hamster-sitter involved. (She's a neighbor and does pet-sitting/dog-walking as her retirement "career." I do feel confident about the cage. And I do think I'm projecting emotions on the hamster that it may or may not have. Maybe Chiclet was coming out of the cage to please me more than herself...? Kind of kidding there, but I do know hamsters are accustomed to independence and some solitude.
I will check out Craigslist and see if I can locate some possibilities nearby!
Again, thank you, folks, for your input. This forum is such a good place to connect and learn. :)

Pebbles82
06-02-2020, 03:33 PM
I think some of it depends on the hamster’s personality and how bonded you are with them. A more retiring hamster may be fine with the arrangement. An attention seeking maverick who wants to be out every night may not be as adaptable to it but in that case I would go with as large a cage as you can and I would suggest getting two hamsters. I currently have two Syrians - their cages above/below each other - and have noticed they go into a sort of sync. If one has a drink - the other one does. If one comes out then the next night the other one is pestering to come out.

When we had Charlie he was very bonded with us and our almost every night. If we went away for a couple of nights, he pined and looked awful. To the point we took him on holiday with us once.

But you’re talking about getting a new hamster and could have a relationship whereby you get them out maybe twice a week and more of a familiarity and chatting type thing then a close bonded thing of snuggling every night.

I think it could work but my only concern would be they like routine - food out at the same time each night. Lights on and off at the same time each night. You could set the lights and tv on a timer maybe (good burglar deterrent as well).

If your friend could come in to put out food the nights you’re away that would be better. And at least with another hamster in the house there would be a presence (separate cages of course).

They would soon get into a routine of you being there every few days and someone else coming to feed on other days. When I’ve had a pet sitter coming in to feed, the hamsters have hidden away sensing it was not me/us. But they might get used to a regular pet sitter.

Chicleteer
06-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Thanks for your ideas, Serendipity. I think starting out with a routine that I can stick with would definitely be helpful so that the hamster gets used to what to expect. I sometimes wonder if I really spoiled Chiclet, spending so much time with her and getting her used to it on a nightly basis. It made it hard for me to go away at all without feeling terribly guilty and worrying about her. (Yet, for all I know, she was enjoying some peaceful "time off" while I was away!) ;)

I like the idea of a timer for lights and TV noise. That would add both to their sense of routine and also perhaps a sense of somebody being in the house.

Pebbles82
06-05-2020, 05:21 AM
I think I would be a bit concerned at leaving them in an empty house with no-one going in at all, so pet sitter going in to feed would be better than leaving extra food possibly.

AmityvilleHams
06-05-2020, 12:16 PM
I would definitely be sure to get a pet sitter even if it were just for a single day. Someone going in at least once a day to check things like water is really important as water bottles can fail easily and water bowls may need cleaning or at least refilling - and if nobody is able to check in on the hamster or hamsters involved you really can't know for sure if everything is alright! Also, if at all possible a pet sitter can potentially be able to keep an eye out for any illness and in such a situation would be able to get your hamster into the vet.

It may seem like these sorts of worst case scenarios and bad situations in general aren't very common or wouldn't happen, but you can never plan to carefully. Even in the span of a single day something can go wrong, but without someone being able to check in you open the doors up for serious negative consequences.

Pebbles82
06-05-2020, 05:58 PM
I hadn't thought about water bottles - good point - although belt and braces could be a bowl and a bottle - and if it;s only one or two nights away should be ok.

Just had another thought that would really help! I have a camera - its brilliant. Cost about £35. You just leave it plugged in, connects to your wifi and you put the app on your phone. It also takes a micro sd card and records everything. Infra red and motion detection. You can see what your hamsters are doing night and day from wherever you are on your phone :-) I used it to do some night time videos but I regularly look at what they;re doing on my phone after I've gone to bed.

It's quite reassuring to see them up and about, foraging, snacking and running in their wheels. And helped me spot when one of the wheels was stuck as well.

Pebbles82
06-05-2020, 05:59 PM
This one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X631FDX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AmityvilleHams
06-05-2020, 06:51 PM
Even with a bowl and bottle, there's the chance that the bottle could fail and then the bowl could be filled with substrate or something.

LunaTheHamster1
06-06-2020, 04:21 AM
well maybe 2 bottles would be an answer then, that is what I use. I have only ever left one of my hamsters over night once though. I am not sure I would be comfortable doing that on a more frequent basis. But if you have pet sitters that could work fine and I liked serendipity's idea of a pet camera, because then if you did see anything amiss you could soon get someone round to go check it out.

Ria P
06-06-2020, 04:46 AM
Even with a bowl and bottle, there's the chance that the bottle could fail and then the bowl could be filled with substrate or something.

I think the chances of both bottle and bowl failing at the same time is about as big as us humans getting hit by a bus but then again, i'm not a worrier by nature. Most things in life have a certain risk attached and hamsters won't have water readily available to them in the wilds. Aside from a bottle and bowl, which can be attached to the cage, one could also leave a piece of cucumber on a plate to supply the hamster with three sources of water.

Thin Lizzy
06-07-2020, 05:38 AM
If I was to go away for a few nights then I'd have 2 water bottles in the cage, plus I'd ensure there was fresh vegetables, a thick piece of cucumber and a slice of romaine lettuce and a piece of melon, this way there's plenty to keep the hamster hydrated. Plus fill his food dish, scatter food around the cage and a couple of hanging treat bars plus do the tissue trick for a few days before you go away ensuring he has your scent. The longest I've ever gone away is 2 days.

Nika
06-08-2020, 01:42 PM
Hi there!
I think how well hamsters do when left alone strongly depends on the individual. My first hamster easily tolerated being left alone for several nights! I would not leave my current hamster alone, however, she is way too lively and active and needs out of cage time.
As others have said, I recommend having two water sources so there's a back-up if one breaks!

Pebbles82
06-08-2020, 02:08 PM
I think it was no more than 1 or two nights a week wasn’t it. One night and two bottles and webcam would be fine. Also two nights. Any longer and I’d get pet sitter in.

Chicleteer
06-08-2020, 04:54 PM
Thank you, everyone. I think definitely two water bottles or one bottle plus my ceramic self-filling bowl. It's a Dahey and I really like it (bought it from Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073JDS478/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(I hope that turns into a link when I post this.) Chiclet preferred the water bottle (probably what she was more used to) but I figured at least it would be there if the bottle jammed up.

And making sure he/she has some good liquidy fruits and veggies available, like cucumber, watermelon etc. (Chiclet was adorable eating a cucumber wedge and holding it just like a watermelon wedge. Those wonderful little paw-hands!!!)

I love the idea of the petcam! Thank you, Serendipity, for that suggestion. I was wondering about what it would show at night when it's dark, but the Amazon description suggests it has an infrared night-vision mode of some sort. If you know more about that feature, I'd be interested.

I do plan not to start an everyday routine of taking it out of the cage, but probably every other day or so, so that the hamster didn't expect it on a daily basis. I realize, though, that for all this planning, I might still end up with a lively hamster who clamors for daily out-of-cage romping. I guess then I'll have to adjust in some way.

But I really do miss having a hamster right now. :(

Again, thank you for your help and suggestions! :)

Pebbles82
06-09-2020, 04:20 PM
The cam is brilliant. Works really well. Records night or day. You can look back bay recordings or watch live on your phone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Cmh69vyAo

Chicleteer
06-10-2020, 09:20 AM
The cam is brilliant. Works really well. Records night or day. You can look back bay recordings or watch live on your phone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Cmh69vyAo

That is fantastic! The night view is amazing. I’m sold. Thanks SO much for sharing this, Serendipity! :D

I also had been interested in your setup with one cage below the other, so that was good to see, too. Do you think they are happier hearing/smelling another ham nearby, knowing that they still each have their own secure territory?

Pebbles82
06-10-2020, 11:37 AM
I think it was very good value the camera! I asked for it for Christmas and have used it more than I thought I would. You also need to get quite a large capacity micro SD card. When it’s full it goes back to the start and records over previous recordings - so if you want to keep any you just download them and let it carry on. I use it more for the live view at the moment. I enjoy watching them after lights out when I go to bed.

I am not sure about the cages stacked tbh. Previously I had two cages in different rooms but wanted them both in the living room this time for more interaction (but ended up being less!) so invested in the console table so I could have them in the same room. At first I think the younger hamster hid away more but not now. They seem used to it. They have gone into a kind of sync. Ie Moo (the older institutionalised adopted hamster!) seems to just copy whatever Pickle does mostly. He hears what Pickle is doing (wheeling or drinking) and does the same. They both do their own thing as well but neither come out before lights out except for food and that is when they sometimes want out of cage time but not that often. I think that might be different if they were in different rooms. Moo, having lived in a rescue full of hamsters, seems very interested if he can smell Pickle and pesters at the bars if Pickle is out. Not sure if that is in a friendly way or not! We got Pickle as a baby and he seems more suspicious about Moo.

So I think ideally I wouldn’t have them stacked. But in separate areas of the same room. But it’s hard to know what difference it makes unless I move one of them and how much is personality and how much is location near another hamster.

One issue is it is quite awkward doing anything with the bottom cage - even spot cleaning.

Chicleteer
06-11-2020, 09:53 AM
Thanks, Serendipity, for your response about the experience of two hamsters. I actually have space to have cages side by side. On the other hand, I've only ever had one hamster and I'm not sure I'd be ready to have two just yet. Don't know; something to think about.

Interesting that yours get in sync a bit with each other, although it makes sense.

Once again, I'm reminded how individual these little creatures are! There certainly does not seem to be any kind of generic hamster with a predictable personality. Part of their charm, though.

Still planning on getting that cam! :D