PDA

View Full Version : Meet Sebastian!

Cayleigh
06-15-2019, 10:17 AM
I just adopted a 1-year-old teddy bear hamster from my local Humane Society and he is so friendly! I'm keeping his original name, Sebastian. Here he is:

I've never had a long haired hamster before, only short haired. Any suggestions on keeping his coat fabulous? Or will he do that on his own?

Also, should I throw out my previous hamster's chew toys? Is there a way I can sanitize natural fibers like wood and hemp? I can always look this up, just figured I'd check here first.

Can't wait to spoil the little guy. :) He's so cute!

souffle
06-15-2019, 10:21 AM
aww he is just gorgeous. As long as you keep him on a non tangle type of bedding the coat should be fine. We use a toothbrush to keep them tidy. Personally I wouldn't reuse any wood or natural items from hamster to hamster. They do tend to retain a scent and can hold bugs in them so not worth the risk. We also have a new water bottle for each hamster.

Cayleigh
06-15-2019, 10:26 AM
Awesome, thank you for the advice Souffle! I have given him 2 new toys so far, but I'll throw out the old ones. Didn't know about the water bottle. I had sanitized the one, but I'll get him a new one to be safe. :)

Ria P
06-15-2019, 12:32 PM
Aaw, he looks really cuddly and so happy to be with you!

JennySTL
06-19-2019, 09:21 AM
He's adorable, and that's awesome that you did rescue! We adopted our dog from the Humane Society and she's the best!

My Teddy is a long hair, and though I give him a little trim sometimes, other than that (which is entirely up to you), you don't have to do much to keep his coat fabulous. He's adorable!

Charlie Dunn
06-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Goodness he is so cuddly with you already! How sweet and so lovely he has come to live with you. X

Rads
06-19-2019, 02:23 PM
Hello and welcome Sebastian

CharlieHamHam
06-19-2019, 06:38 PM
He looks like a little ball of love! I have never owned a long hair, but I think that they maintain their fur pretty well. It’s instinct, after all.
That is amazing that you could adopt from a shelter! I don’t have that opportunity where I live, but it is definitely the way to go! Good for you! I agree with the others that it would be better if you bought new toys for Sebastian. Same thing with the bottle. I actually bought a new bottle for my Charlie yesterday because I didn’t know that if you reuse the bottles that they can still smell the other hammy!
I wish you the best of luck with Sebastian and I’m sure he will have a very happy life!

Thin Lizzy
06-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Good on you for adopting Sebastian and giving him a forever home. I love long haired hams and he's so fluffy and totally gorgeous. Congratulations!