PDA

View Full Version : Idea for housing

asmith
02-09-2010, 04:21 AM
Hey guys

Well I'd like to keep my baby hamsters. (Dunno how many are they yet), but since they are syrian, it is impossible for me to house them in a cage individually. My flat is small and I can't have cages lying around on the floor.

So I came up with this idea. Wanna know what you think. I don't know about its flaws yet. I attached an image. Like a bookcase and I put each hamster in one of its cells.

Put a glass door for each cell, dress cells like a hamster home.
Any idea?

littlepeanut
02-09-2010, 04:26 AM
Um, wont really work.

Bookcases made of wood - hamsters chew wood.

Urine would soak into wood... lack of ventilation... not that much space/light... and its the money it would take to look after all the hams...

You really would be best finding homes for them and ploughing the love you have on your hams you already own :D

Poppy
02-09-2010, 04:51 AM
I think you would be better off making bin cages for them:)

suga
02-09-2010, 05:32 AM
I would certainly be looking for new homes for the pups but if you do want to keep a couple i would go with the bin cage idea. You can stack them, each can have adequate space and toys, wheel etc. It will be easier to clean and look after them.

annie81
02-09-2010, 05:50 AM
i would try and find them new homes as well...they all need a lot of space. you dont want to squeeze them into small cages...

you also have to play with them, handle and tame them and you have already the 3 "adult" hamsters. i personally wouldnt have the time to do that each day.

Flissy
02-09-2010, 05:56 AM
i would try and find them new homes as well...they all need a lot of space. you dont want to squeeze them into small cages...

you also have to play with them, handle and tame them and you have already the 3 "adult" hamsters. i personally wouldnt have the time to do that each day.

Same here, I have 2 syrians and they already take up most of my time as they are always clinging to the bars wanting to come out!! :D

souffle
02-09-2010, 08:37 AM
I agree with everyone else, keep one baby and find loving homes for the others where they can get the individual attention they deserve and need. You will never manage them all in a flat and will not have time for all the excercise and playtime they need not to mention the cost of housing and feeding.
A hand tame baby is very desirable. Start looking now and take reservations if you feel comfortable with the people who ask for one.

Tish36
02-09-2010, 02:28 PM
When my mum was younger, their hamsters had babies so my grandad did the same method you want to do.
They all got out, mated like crazy and killed each other :(

Just keep one, it'd be a lot easier and safer x

asmith
02-10-2010, 05:38 AM
If they get out from the cell, they will fall on the ground, how did they reach each other to mate/kill?

You guys are right, the best option is to find homes for them. :)

Katty_Sheldon
02-10-2010, 06:55 AM
It must be very tempting to keep them, but if you find homes for them each of them will get full attention and space that they need. Good luck!