PDA

View Full Version : Help with cage setup

Nicky1875
11-27-2018, 01:17 PM
Hi I’m new here, currently looking into getting a good setup for a Syrian hamster, looked at the Grovenor, zooplus Barney/ Alexander and also the Savic hamster plaza, think I’m going down the plaza road but I intend to remove plastic shelf and replace with wooden and replace with a bigger wheel, I would love to see some of your setups to give me ideas on furnishing the cage. Thank you in advance.

JennySTL
11-28-2018, 09:07 AM
Hi Nicky! Welcome! I'm in the US, and we don't have great access to larger cages, so I have out Teddy in a 55 gallon aquarium. It seems to be working quite nicely. Here is a pic!

Pebbles82
11-28-2018, 03:30 PM
I can add some of mine later (on my phone at the moment). Also have you seen the “let’s see your cages” thread - quite a few ideas on there. I think it’s under the housing section.

Dearest
11-29-2018, 01:37 AM
Printerest has some cool tube/tank cages! Some are too fancy but most are doable, that’s where I’m getting my ideas from

Nicky1875
11-29-2018, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys, I’ve been out today and bought the Savic plaza plus loads of toys, not sure on best floor material, it used to be sawdust/wood shavings years ago when I had hamsters as a child but it’s seems to have changed, suggestions most welcome, I’m panicking about as just measured furniture cage was going to sit on and it’s not big enough as cage is ginormous lol, my friends all think I’m mad as they don’t have anything like it for their children’s hamsters but I want to do it properly, another question anyone who’s got a fuzzbutt stackafuzz what have you use to hang them please x

alpacassei
11-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Woodshavings are safe in the UK, I use them for most my hammies but avoid actual sawdust since itks very dusty and could cause respiratory issues. Fitch, Carefresh, and Kaytee Clean & Cozy are all good paper substrates. Fitch is the cheapest because you can order it in bulk but Carefresh and Kaytee come in lots of different colours. Avoided any scented substrates though since hamsters have very sensitive noses. You can also use hay in areas of the cage!

For the actual nesting material, it’s best to use torn up tissue strips rather than commercial nesting materials, and avoid any kind of fluffy bedding as it can cause serious injuries.

How much smaller is the furniture? Once the substrate’s in, the cage will be pretty heavy so it doesn’t matter if it sticks out over the edge of the furniture a little bit (no more than 20cm on each side though).
You can use sisal or hemp string to hang the Stackafuzz!

flowerfairy
12-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Tarak's tank set up

http://i66.tinypic.com/2eaph5h.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/qxnnro.jpg