PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower’s 100cm Bin Cage

alpacassei
09-28-2018, 06:07 AM
I recently bought the 160 litre Really Useful Box Storage Trunk to use as a bin cage for my Syrian Sunflower. The external dimensions are 105x50x50cm, and it was £30 from Argos which I think is a good price for the quality, size, and brand.

I drilled 166 10mm holes into the lid but I’m still not sure its enough ventilation so I’m thinking of addign a mesh panel to the side.

The wheel is a 30cm wooden wheel from zooplus. I sanded down the inside and plastikoted it but srill added a lyer of cardboard to make it softer on his feet (I’m probably being paranoid tho haha). The cork pieces came from a cork log I ordered on zooplus for my Robo which was meant to be 16cm long but was actually 30cm so I cut it into pieces for all my hamsters!

For substrate I used a mix of woodshavings, hay, paper pellet litter, and sand to create areas with different textures. The platform is made from a cardboard box and is filled wtih deep substrate for burrowing and nesting. And the water bottle stand is actually a p@h silent spinner stand!

Size comparison with the Alaska cage (and special guest appearance of my cat!)

cypher
09-28-2018, 08:22 AM
That does look really nice, I would go for more ventilation though, I don't think the holes are enough, ideally a penal in the top & the front but even just one or the other would be a lot better.

alpacassei
09-28-2018, 10:57 AM
That does look really nice, I would go for more ventilation though, I don't think the holes are enough, ideally a penal in the top & the front but even just one or the other would be a lot better.

Thank you! I’m really happy with how it turned out :)

I want to put a mesh panel along the centre of the lid and also the panels in the sides so I can use them for hanging toys and stuff too. Hopefully I can get it done this weekend.

mangoandmimi
09-28-2018, 02:20 PM
That is a nice bin! I love the setup too it looks great. Do you know what the internal measurements of the bin are at all?

alpacassei
09-28-2018, 02:56 PM
That is a nice bin! I love the setup too it looks great. Do you know what the internal measurements of the bin are at all?

I’ll measure and I’ll post them in the morning. I dont think theyre much smaller than the external measurements tho

Sasha04
09-28-2018, 04:47 PM
That is a lovely cage! I agree with cypher to add more ventilation. I love the setup though!

Jesika_
09-28-2018, 08:14 PM
That's really lovely. I'm sure Sunflower will like it.
Actually, since I have hamster and watch youtube about hamster, and join this forum I really wish I can live at UK, there is so many hamster toy, cage decoration, etc.
Indonesia not really have many hamster's need. And no variation :(
Even their food. its local and contain colouring.

alpacassei
09-29-2018, 01:12 AM
That's really lovely. I'm sure Sunflower will like it.
Actually, since I have hamster and watch youtube about hamster, and join this forum I really wish I can live at UK, there is so many hamster toy, cage decoration, etc.
Indonesia not really have many hamster's need. And no variation :(
Even their food. its local and contain colouring.

I found a hamster youtuber from Indonesia, I havent watched her videos yet but maybe she has some information about where to buy good hamster stuff?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOOde9JVRUylziT93WPCteQ

alpacassei
09-29-2018, 01:16 AM
That is a lovely cage! I agree with cypher to add more ventilation. I love the setup though!

Thank you! I’m really loving natural set ups recently :)

cherubble
09-29-2018, 01:09 PM
The bin looks great, I do love natural setups.

larry ben kenobi
09-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Your cage is so beautifully set up, love the natural look

Jesika_
09-30-2018, 06:51 PM
I found a hamster youtuber from Indonesia, I havent watched her videos yet but maybe she has some information about where to buy good hamster stuff?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOOde9JVRUylziT93WPCteQ

Wow.. I think we, Indonesian, didn;t have hams youtuber. hahaa..
I am at work now, I'll watched it tonight.
Thanks for the very useful information.