PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Oreo

Amys_Mum
09-18-2018, 02:23 PM
After the sad passing of Adele, there was definitely a hamster-shaped hole in our household that needed filling.

Amy insisted on a girl hammy as "boys have big bums that wiggle". So off we went to Pets Corner. We only have one female, they said, but she's ready now. Or the boys are new and will be ready on Wednesday. So we asked to see.

The assistant opened the door to the cages, and straight away this little nose popped out. "People say she looks like a rat" said the assistant, as a little brown body followed the nose. "Awwww", said Amy.

And that was that. Gladys, as she had been named, had spent 3 months at the pet shop, overlooked for younger, lighter furred hamsters, and I couldn't bear not to give her a home. She's a gorgeous chocolate brown colour with a little white chin, and so very soft and silky.

Amy renamed her Oreo (I quite liked the name Gladys!). She's very nervous, despite regular handling, but is settling down. She has decided her favoured sleep spot is underneath her new wooden house, having burrowed underneath it and tipped it at an angle. I've left it be for now, but it's not ideal!! She loves to burrow, so all the toys in her cage are now under a layer of wood chip, along with the sand bath and potty, and she goes right to the bottom of the Barney, creating little mounds of shavings like molehills.

We hope she'll be very happy once she's gotten used to us.

flowerfairy
09-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Awww. I had a lovely choclate brown girlie called Kashi. She loved her barney cage!

Hope Oreo settles in well. How exciting.

Sasha04
09-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Congratulations on Oreo! She sounds so sweet! She is stunning! I’m exited to hear more about taming!

cypher
09-18-2018, 11:50 PM
Congrats on getting Oreo! She really is a beauty :)
It sounds as though she's enjoying her new home & making it her own!

Emsmum
09-19-2018, 12:49 AM
awww she is so sweet

Rads
09-19-2018, 05:34 AM
Oreo is delightful, be good to hear about her further adventures..

JennySTL
09-20-2018, 06:47 AM
Oreo is beautiful! I love her coat!