PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get a syrian from - Cheshire UK

Emsmum
09-05-2018, 11:23 PM
Hi - I am going to be looking to get our new hamster within the next couple of weeks, we are in Cheshire, Macclesfield area but am willing to travel a reasonable distance. Are there any breeders around that would have a syrian or where is the best place to purchase? Pets at home have some (and to be fair we ended up getting our gerbils from there & they are fine) but if there iss somewhere far better please could you let me know?

Thanks in advance

cypher
09-06-2018, 03:39 AM
Someone might know a breeder in your area but if not you could have a look at your closest hamster club for breeders & lists of shows where you might be able to buy a breedr ham.
https://hamsters-uk.org/joomla30/index.php/nhc-info/finding-breeders

Emsmum
09-10-2018, 12:20 AM
Please look into rescuing a neglected hamster from a rescue. There are loads of places that have small animals just desperate for a loving home after previous neglect (tiny cage). People even sell unwanted hamsters on gumtree/Craig's list usually in terrible conditions.

What cage you going to be using for new Syrian?

I have asked on my local facebook but noone has come forward with any rescue or breeder info at all, the nearest breeder listed doesn't have any at the moment either. We have been gifted a fantasy cage which meets the required measurements but I have ordered 2 extra layers to make it even bigger.

cypher
09-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Do you mean the imac fantasy cage Emsmum? Those really aren't suitable for hamsters.
You would do best with a large cage all on one level, some smaller shelves can be added but the main area should just be the one level, hamsters are ground dwellers although they will climb to some extent & need a cage with plenty of space & depth of substrate (at least 15cm).
Some good examples of suitable cages are the Barney, Alexander & Alaska which you can see here on Zooplus. (https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/hamster_cages) or the savic plaza (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/savic-plaza-hamster-and-rat-cage) is a another good cage.

mangoandmimi
09-10-2018, 12:51 AM
I agree the imac fantasy really isn’t ideal. Might seem like adding more levels is giving more room but the problem still stands that Syrian toys and wheels are just not going to fit in there. If you can return the extensions, getting a decent sized cage like the ones cypher mentioned won’t cost much more.

Emsmum
09-10-2018, 01:11 AM
I agree the imac fantasy really isn’t ideal. Might seem like adding more levels is giving more room but the problem still stands that Syrian toys and wheels are just not going to fit in there. If you can return the extensions, getting a decent sized cage like the ones cypher mentioned won’t cost much more.

ok cancelled the extensions & will gift that cage to a pet rescue centre. Which one in your opinion is best - I don't (ideally) want to spend more than £65 on the cage - the Savic Hamster Heaven I really like - is that one ok? Our gerbils are in the extra large Savic Gerbilarium - would that do for hamsters too?

Emsmum
09-10-2018, 01:46 AM
I decided to go for the Savic Hamster Heaven - it is now ordered, hopefully it will be here before the weekend so we can get it all set up & ready to go

mangoandmimi
09-10-2018, 01:47 AM
Lucky you could cancel the order, that’s great. I think the Barney cage that’s around £50 is the best value for money. The Savic plaza is the same price as the hamster heaven in pets at home but it’s bigger. Also has a large front door so access is good. Think you can get a discount for it too. The hamster heaven is on the small side I think so my personal choice would be between those two above.
I do love the idea of hamsters in gerbilariums but not many seem to be quite big enough for syrians, including the savic one unfortunately.

Edit: sorry posted before reading latest post!

Emsmum
09-10-2018, 01:52 AM
Lucky you could cancel the order, that’s great. I think the Barney cage that’s around £50 is the best value for money. The Savic plaza is the same price as the hamster heaven in pets at home but it’s bigger. Also has a large front door so access is good. Think you can get a discount for it too. The hamster heaven is on the small side I think so my personal choice would be between those two above.
I do love the idea of hamsters in gerbilariums but not many seem to be quite big enough for syrians, including the savic one unfortunately.

Edit: sorry posted before reading latest post!

The hamster heaven seemed to be the biggest one according to the measurements, I have seen this one as well in my local pets and it was HUGE - I like the tubes at the top too because we already have a basic medium pets at home hamster cage (we used it when we first got the gerbils until they settled for handling when cleaning) so I am wondering if I can join them up to make it even bigger

mangoandmimi
09-10-2018, 02:03 AM
Are you sure the pets at home and savic tubes can connect? Or using a savic connector on the p@h cage might work (no experience of this). The connection at each cage needs to be very secure or your hamster will definitely find a way out. Obviously the safest way is to have no external tubes and if it’s only a small extension it’s debatable whether it’s worth it or not. Tubes can get unhygienic too if your hamster decides to start using them as a toilet which is why I avoid them but it has worked fine for some people.

Not sure where you saw the hamster heaven is bigger but it’s smaller than the other options. It’s quite a low cage too, the height dimensions probably included the penthouse.

Emsmum
09-10-2018, 02:11 AM
Are you sure the pets at home and savic tubes can connect? Or using a savic connector on the p@h cage might work (no experience of this). The connection at each cage needs to be very secure or your hamster will definitely find a way out. Obviously the safest way is to have no external tubes and if it’s only a small extension it’s debatable whether it’s worth it or not. Tubes can get unhygienic too if your hamster decides to start using them as a toilet which is why I avoid them but it has worked fine for some people.

Not sure where you saw the hamster heaven is bigger but it’s smaller than the other options. It’s quite a low cage too, the height dimensions probably included the penthouse.

I am just changing to the Barney cage now - zooplus must think I am mad

mangoandmimi
09-10-2018, 02:33 AM
Lol! Good choice. I also recommend buying some screw on shelves, wooden ones are relatively cheap. They’ll break falls from the top and also make better use of the height :) You can buy packs of pine shelves on ebay which are good value. I’ve also used the corner trixie wooden ones which screw in and they’re good.

Emsmum
09-10-2018, 02:41 AM
Lol! Good choice. I also recommend buying some screw on shelves, wooden ones are relatively cheap. They’ll break falls from the top and also make better use of the height :) You can buy packs of pine shelves on ebay which are good value. I’ve also used the corner trixie wooden ones which screw in and they’re good.

ok will look for those too - the Fitch bedding is due any day now & the cage will be here in a couple of days, we have a mountain of toys ordered and wooden bridges, this is one spoilt hamster so far!

souffle
09-10-2018, 04:59 AM
I just had a thought - Hamster Haven rescue are in Cheshire and they have lots of hammies including babies looking for forever homes. The have a Facebook page where you can see them and contact them.

Emsmum
09-10-2018, 05:05 AM
I just had a thought - Hamster Haven rescue are in Cheshire and they have lots of hammies including babies looking for forever homes. The have a Facebook page where you can see them and contact them.

dododododo....can you believe it I just found them too & have messaged them - Ellesmere is less than an hour for us & I am happy to drive over there - I would much rather rescue one than buy one from somewhere like PAH

souffle
09-10-2018, 05:13 AM
Noodles that baby one is SO cute.

Emsmum
09-10-2018, 05:55 AM
Noodles that baby one is SO cute.

I know!! They have a few very cute one's - hopefully they will message me asap

Julie

AliceJayne
10-12-2018, 01:13 PM
I know!! They have a few very cute one's - hopefully they will message me asap

Julie

Did they get back to you? Are you getting one? :)

Emsmum
10-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Did they get back to you? Are you getting one? :)

Yes we have had Noodles for a month now