PDA

View Full Version : Nuts?

Tish36
01-20-2010, 03:23 PM
I was just wondering what type of nuts hamsters could eat, I heard that they can have walnuts, peanuts and monkey nuts, but what about pistachios and other nuts?

Thanks
x

souffle
01-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Nuts in general are fine as long as they are not the salted, spiced or honey roast type.
You cannot feed the wild horse chestnuts that grow in the UK either and we would not use any wild nuts in case they had been sprayed with something.
With nuts which have hard shells it is best to just crack them slightly else they cannot open them. Peanuts in shells are enjoyed.

Mr Pudding
01-21-2010, 04:54 AM
My hamster loves nuts although I don't give her too many, just as a treat. She particularly likes walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds. I buy the nuts in shells and then crack the shell a little bit before putting it in the cage. Then my hamster is entertained (well I'm entertained anyway) for ages as she works away at trying to get the tasty nut inside.

Tish36
01-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Thank you all for your advice, it is much appreciated.

Just to confirm, are pistachios ok, as we have some in our house. I'd remove the shells before giving it to them, but is that particular nut itself ok?

souffle
01-21-2010, 12:08 PM
There is a list of safe foods on the WIKI here
Safe and Unsafe Food and Plants - Hamster Central WIKI (http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/Safe_and_Unsafe_Food_and_Plants)

Pistachio nuts are on the safe list of treats so that is fine as long as they are unsalted. I'd just give one though at first. :)

Tish36
01-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks Souffle :D!

I just checked the bag we had, they were unsalted and in date :)

I removed the shells and gave Sprout and Skittles one each

They LOVED them!

They sniffed them for a bit and then munched them :mad:

Thanks for the advice x