PDA

View Full Version : taming not working!!

pranjyboy
04-18-2018, 09:57 AM
iv had my hamster for around 4-5 days now, he's explored the whole cage,
made two nests . in the afternoon and morning i usually say his name poko a couple times and hold a treat at the mouth of his nest, he normally sniffs it then takes it. i've seen many videos and heard form others that the next step is too put it in your hand and let him come to you. i've tried this several times but he never even steps out. hes in my room so should have gotten used to my voice, i've tried tried the tissue trick thing but he still is quite hesitant. my rooms door is usually closed when im not around so there arent any other noises scaring him. I feel like i may be going too fastbut before i make any mistakes, any advice given will be helpful :mad:

Merle
04-18-2018, 11:53 AM
I'd say give your hamster a bit more time! Usually you leave your new little one alone for at least a few days after bringing them home, so they can settle in and get a feeling for their surroundings. It might be a bit early to expect him to climb onto you happily. Taming can take weeks or months sometime and it all depends on the individual hamster.

But don't give up and keep trying, he'll come around and get used to you over time! :)

SimonandSyril
04-18-2018, 12:22 PM
As Merle said time is key. When taming past hamsters I found the next step to be not letting them take the treat and keeping a tight grip whilst they chew at the food. Sometimes they get tempted to nibble your hand to get you to let go in that case take the treat back and don't give it to them. Remember this is only my method and it hasn't worked for every hamster and won't work for every hamster. 5 days isn't the longest time to have a hamster so just be persistent for the next few days or even weeks

cypher
04-18-2018, 12:53 PM
It sounds as though taming is going ok for such a short time, each hamster is an individual so there's no set time to expect your ham to move on to the next step so don't feel you have to rush things.
If your ham is taking treats while in his nest you could just try holding your hand slightly further away to encourage him to come out a little more.
I'm sure his confidence will increase soon, just be patient, talk to him a lot & go at his pace.

pranjyboy
04-19-2018, 09:16 AM
thank you everyone for all the helpful suggestions, i guess ill just give him as much time as he needs ! Thankyou

SimonandSyril
04-19-2018, 10:46 AM
thank you everyone for all the helpful suggestions, i guess ill just give him as much time as he needs ! Thankyou Keep us updated with the progress!

pranjyboy
04-20-2018, 01:05 PM
Every evening i usually hold a treat outside the nest and wait for him to come. originally he would sniff it and hesitate but now he's taking it with barely any worry!! so i'v been gradually moving my hand further away from the cage to see if he would step out, which he is now starting to do !

i guess he's actually made a lot of progress since we got him so thanks for everyones encouragement!

Turrican
04-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Aw, as others have said, he just needs time. Can take ages to get a hamster fully tame, but totally worth the effort and time as once you can hold them etc it is so worth it! Keep doing what you're doing and you'll get there ��

SimonandSyril
04-21-2018, 01:28 PM
these little steps your ham is taking is so promising for the future.