PDA

View Full Version : What to add to a boring diet?

Tish36
01-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Well Sprout and Skittles are currently on Pets at Home food, with the ocassional piece of vegetable and cherrios and cornflakes, but I want to make their diet more exciting, seeing as I notice Sprout appears to hoarde away all of his food, and I cannot tell how much he has eaten.

I can't change to another Hamster food as I do not live close to anywhere that stocks other types of Hamster food (Asda and Morrisons may do some, but I am not sure of the quality)

So, what I am asking is, what are extras I could add to a bowl of hammy chow, that they'd enjoy, and how much food should there be in the bowls per day?

Thanks x

Vix
01-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Pets at home sell hamster chocolate drops.

A slice of fresh apple is good. They like fresh fruit and veg but fresh banana isn't good for their cheeks.

Mine is crazy for dried banana, but make sure it's good stuff and not got additives.

A little carrot stick also.

I hope that helps a bit, let me know how it goes :) x

littlepeanut
01-04-2010, 09:20 AM
We give Peanut monkey nuts - the type that are still in the shell. It takes him ages to nibble away to get both nuts out, making him work for his food and he lseems to enjoy the challenge.

I also bought a small willow ball from P@H and squeeze pine nuts into the gaps. Again, it makes him work for his grub, and he ends up either pushing it rpund of I hang it from string from the bars. But I limit it to once a week as pine nuts are a bit fatty.

Tish36
01-04-2010, 02:11 PM
They all seem like very good ideas, I guess I've got some work to do :D!
:mad: