PDA

View Full Version : Bloated belly Syrian female

Wakeupromance
02-02-2018, 09:27 PM
Hi guys, my Alice has a very swollen belly. I'm sorry for the long text but I really need help and giving you all the information so you can help me.

She's walking almost lumping and very slowly like she was drunk with her back arched and the bum is full of soft smudgy stools (not diarrhea) I think that she can't clean herself due to the size of the belly. She's making this chirping noise that I thought it was her teeth but it's not. She's let me handle her as usual but her ears are down I know she's in pain. The belly is almost double her normal size and it's soft and squishy, I've cleaned her bottom with a dry paper towel, gave her an almond (that she refused) and some brocoli (she immediately took some but just a bit, normally she would take the whole thing into her pouch). She barely moves out of her nest.
I've moved her yesterday to her new cage and she was not so swollen I've noticed something was off, but saw her filling her pouches as soon as possible so discarded my 'mom alert'. I've put her nest exactly as it was in the other cage so she didn't get stressed. I've left a water bowl near her nest because I don't know if she's drinking or can drink from the bottle, and some apple and brocoli in case she gets out of the nest.

She was in a terrible temporary small cage due to a mite infestation that I had in the cage last month, she had no mites on her. But had a respiratory infection that was treated with 3 weeks of baytril every 12h prescribed by the vet.

Please help me, can this be constipation? Pyometria? Heart failure?
I'm going to the vet first thing in the morning, but I think I can't sleep until then knowing that she isn't well.

cypher
02-02-2018, 11:53 PM
Really sorry to hear this, I can imagine how worried you must be but it's really not possible to guess what may be wrong, pyo is usually the first thought with females but it could be a number of things.
Good luck at the vet, hope they can help get Alice better.

Wakeupromance
02-03-2018, 05:03 AM
I came back from the vet now, she's been hospitalized and is getting oxygen and painkillers until an ultrasound is done on Monday to see what is going on. Everything points to a tumor and fluid in the abdomen that is making her breathing very hard. I do not know if it was better to leave her there where they can make her more comfortable or if it was better to bring her home to at least she dies with love. I don't believe that she can make it through Monday, she is very debilitated. I'll update you.

cypher
02-03-2018, 06:07 AM
So sorry, it must have been really hard to leave her, a difficult decision to make but if her condition is that bad but still with a chance of making it to having the ultrasound on Monday I think you've done the right thing to leave her, I would imagine it may be difficult to manage her pain at home if it is that serious.

Pebbles82
02-03-2018, 07:00 AM
So sorry she is ill. Well done for getting to her a vet - she's in the right place now for the treatment she needs - think about her and send her your love and I'm sure she'll know xxx Fingers crossed.

souffle
02-03-2018, 09:32 AM
I'm sorry to hear she is so ill. I always say any decision made from love is the right one.
I'm sure if she shows signs of real distress they will call you with advice. Each of these conditions is going to be very hard to cure I'm afraid.
Maybe you can visit and make a decision if you feel she has had enough. Sending thoughts to you.

CMB
02-03-2018, 09:44 AM
Sorry to hear your hamster is ill. Hope she is better soon.

Wakeupromance
02-03-2018, 02:00 PM
I've been running all day today trying to get some vet to give her the ultrasound. Finally got it and the diagnosis is that she has multiple tumors with fluid on her belly. The vet took some fluid out and she was so relieved. She's hospitalized for tonight on oxygen to get a proper breathable rest and tomorrow I'm picking her up to start paliative care. Now I have to decide if I put her down tomorrow or if I bring her home for some comfort and love and put her down in the next few days.. I don't want her to suffer anymore, the quality of life on paliative care is none and dying with pain is not an option. Thank you for the support!

cypher
02-04-2018, 12:26 AM
It's a hard decision to make & I'm really sorry you have to do this for Alice, hard as it is it's done from the heart & with love.

souffle
02-04-2018, 01:47 AM
I'm sorry to hear this. She has had a wonderful life with you. I always think a day early is better than a day late. Ask her when you see her and I'm sure she will give you a sign. Having you by her side is all the home she needs xx I hope her path is gentle.

Coco61
02-04-2018, 05:54 AM
You have my heartfelt sympathy. I lost my 4 month old baby Jeeves mid week with a swollen abdomen. I had made a vet appointment but we never got there. It was all over in 48 hours.
Just be with her to comfort her and she will feel the love you have for her.

Wakeupromance
02-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Hi guys, little update. I've brought her home today as she was a little better, she is on pain relief meds and anti inflammatory. She is still eating and kind of awake and active so the vet advised me to bring her home and when she gets worse again I'll put her down. I really don't know if bringing her home was the best option but I want to give her all the love and comfort I can for the next few days. What would you do in my situation?

Coco61
02-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Exactly what you plan to do. Make sure she is warm and comfortable in her own home. Have food and water very close by so she can reach them easily. Give her the meds. You will know when she is worse again. Watch her ears, when they are flat down then that will be the first sign of pain or discomfort. It was for my baby boy. Good luck and love her for the time she has left with you.

Wakeupromance
02-04-2018, 01:03 PM
She has her ears down since yesterday even after they took the fluid out. She's still eating everytime she wakes up but is exhausted due to the breathing effort. I moved the cage to my office with the heater on so she doesn't get cold.

CMB
02-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Sorry to hear the sad news. I would have trusted the vets advice because if she was in lots of pain, the vet would have suggested putting her to sleep rather than taking her home.

Vectis Hamstery
02-04-2018, 01:19 PM
I'm sorry to hear what you and your girl are going through. She's at home and loved.

Pebbles82
02-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Poor girl xxx When our last Syrian Charlie was near the end I sat with him snuggled inside my body warmer - between my chest and my body warmer. I hope the meds help her feel a bit more comfortable x

Wakeupromance
02-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Hi guys, she has her nose dirty due to the lack of cleaning and keeps getting seeds and bedding stuck in her nose can I clean her nose? And if so how can I do it?

Coco61
02-05-2018, 02:40 PM
I would use just a damp cotton wool ball or pad to wipe gently.

souffle
02-05-2018, 04:14 PM
You can wipe it gently but watch her breathing as the discharge from the nose may mean she has fluid in the lungs or an infection. Listen very carefully now for her giving you signs that she has had enough. They usually tell you. x

Wakeupromance
02-06-2018, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone! She was very weak this morning when I gave her the painkillers. I had to come to work but as soon as I get home I'll check on her and take her to the vet to end her suffering.

souffle
02-06-2018, 04:25 AM
I hope her path is gentle. You know in your heart that it is time I think and this is the greatest gift of all. An easy and comfortable passing x

cypher
02-06-2018, 05:26 AM
This is such a sad day for you, it's always hard but sometimes all we can do is give them the last gift of love so they can go in peace & suffer no more.
Thinking of you.

Wakeupromance
02-06-2018, 04:18 PM
She was on some kind of power saving mode, she slowed herself so much that her heart beating and breathing were almost imperceptible. The waiting for the vet to open and the actual process of the euthanasia was a nightmare, I was praying for her to die peacefully at home but she was a real fighter and didn't want to. In the end I gave her the peace she needed. I'm glad that I took her home on Sunday, at least I could give her some comfort and love in her last days. She will be forever in my heart. Thank you all for the advices and support!

cypher
02-06-2018, 10:46 PM
So sorry Alice has gone to the bridge now, a sad time for you but take comfort knowing she is at peace now, you did the best for her & her final days were at home with you where she was surrounded by love.
Run free & play well at the bridge Alice.

Coco61
02-07-2018, 01:05 PM
You loved her until the end. Rest in peace Alice.

Hammy992
02-07-2018, 01:43 PM
So sorry to hear of Alice's passing. She fought so hard, I think that helping her to let go was the kindest thing you could do for her. I'm sure those final days at home with you brought her comfort in familiar surroundings with people who love her. At least now she is at peace and free from pain.

Play well at the bridge Alice.

CMB
02-07-2018, 02:27 PM
Sorry for your loss.