PDA

View Full Version : New User Questions - UK

Wilson
02-01-2018, 04:04 AM
Hi,

Based in the UK and stumbled across the forum whilst researching hamsters.

I don't currently own any, however, will be looking to get ideally 2 small Russian dwarf hamsters for my daughters birthday - which is not until May but wanted to start researching early about cages, food, bedding etc after falling foul to these sort of issues when I started keeping fish and failed to do any prior research.

As mentioned, looking at getting 2 Russian dwarfs, I believe they can be kept together long term rather than other breeds - correct me if I am wrong?

Few questions to start me off:

What is the minimum cage size in order to keep 2 Russian dwarfs? This is more so I can measure out an area where I think a cage will go, not looking to keep the hamsters in the bare minimum space, but interested to know the minimum requirements re cage size - WxDxH

Does 2 hamsters mean I need to wheels? What size wheels would I need?

What are some of the, or the most recommended type of bedding? Something readily available in the UK

What are some essential toys etc that I should look at getting to keep them entertained?

If we go with 2, do I need 2 houses or a single bigger house for them to sleep in?

That is about it for now, any other useful hints/tips/info or just general word of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

CMB
02-01-2018, 02:55 PM
You would need two wheels, two water bottles/bowls, two food bowls or scatter feed the hamsters. Any hides/houses need two ways in/out so one hamster can’t stop the other going in/out.

Cage size can be 75cm by 40cm approximately as a minimum. Zoo plus have some good cages on their website.

Fitch website is good for substrate.

I would only get one hamster, as although they can live together, once they get older, the hamsters often start fighting and need separating. They do fine alone.

Wilson
02-01-2018, 03:01 PM
You would need two wheels, two water bottles/bowls, two food bowls or scatter feed the hamsters. Any hides/houses need two ways in/out so one hamster can’t stop the other going in/out.

Cage size can be 75cm by 40cm approximately as a minimum. Zoo plus have some good cages on their website.

Fitch website is good for substrate.

I would only get one hamster, as although they can live together, once they get older, the hamsters often start fighting and need separating. They do fine alone.

Thanks CMB, good to know. I think I was worried a single hamster would get lonely, 2 sounds like more of a challenge and as a newbie I don’t want to ha e issues down the line.

I quite like the look of a barney cage I think it’s callrd from zooplus.

Fluffagrams
02-01-2018, 04:02 PM
If you’re still wanting to keep a pair, it’s worth mentioning that some people who have kept dwarfs in pairs have found that they have had better success in slightly smaller cages as there is less space for them to become possessive and territorial over. At 100cmx50cm, I’m wondering if the Barney may be a little bit too big for a pair? I don’t keep dwarfs in pairs (other than very young Chinese) mysel but would probably be looking at something like a Duna Multy which is about 70cmx45cm rather than anything much larger.

Wilson
02-01-2018, 04:07 PM
If you’re still wanting to keep a pair, it’s worth mentioning that some people who have kept dwarfs in pairs have found that they have had better success in slightly smaller cages as there is less space for them to become possessive and territorial over. At 100cmx50cm, I’m wondering if the Barney may be a little bit too big for a pair? I don’t keep dwarfs in pairs (other than very young Chinese) mysel but would probably be looking at something like a Duna Multy which is about 70cmx45cm rather than anything much larger.

If we go for just the one, is something like the barney a bit too big for a dwarf? Or should we go bigger with a Syrian etc

Fluffagrams
02-01-2018, 04:15 PM
If we go for just the one, is something like the barney a bit too big for a dwarf? Or should we go bigger with a Syrian etc

Some hamsters have issues settling if they have too much space although I’ve usually found that it’s Chineseys that are the most sensitive to their environment. Many people have used cages of a similar size to the Barney with their dwarfs without any problems.

Pebbles82
02-01-2018, 06:23 PM
For a first hamster, a Syrian is often a good choice for a child :-) They are often easier to tame and handle and can be more cuddly. Dwarf hamsters can also be tamed and handled, but I do think a Syrian is a good choice for a first one for a child.

The Barney is a great cage for a Syrian - I've had two Syrians in our Barney (not at the same time! Syrians always have to live alone - and I think it also helps them bond with an owner because they live alone).

If you did want to get a Russian dwarf then it would be better to just get one - a pair is quite a lot of careful setting up and they often need separating if they fall out, which means you'd need a spare cage. Also just be aware that all Russian dwarf hamsters from pet shops will be hybrids. They may be described as Campbells or Winter whites,but they will be a hybrid mix of the two - even though they may look like one or the other. Hybrids can be prone to diabetes or their lives may be a shorter due to some genetic issue. They still make lovely pets but just to point out.

It's another reason a Syrian could be an easier first choice. They are pretty robust health wise usually.

Personally I wouldn't get the Barney for a single dwarf hamster - it's quite tall for a dwarf hamster and smaller dwarf hamsters can get easily injured if they monkey bar across the roof and then drop. You can get round this by a careful set up and maybe some extra shelves, but that's a lot of hassle for a first time owner really, unless you're particularly creative and good at diy.

There are slightly lower barred cages, or there are perspex tank style cages like the maxi duna multy.

You will get different views on cage sizes for dwarf hamsters.

But for a Syrian it's usually accepted that no smaller than 80cm by 50cm is needed. I personally think 100cm cage like the barney is just the right size for a Syrian because you can add so much to it for enrichment and can have larger toys and accessories etc without the cage filling up too much.

The Barney comes with a good shelf and a good sized house/nesting box for a Syrian too,so you would just need a wheel and some floor toys (tubes, tunnels, hidey places etc). Most hamster toys sold are too small for syrians - they do better with rat sized tubes etc. A lot of toys sold for hamsters are downright dangerous with nails and splinters, or just fall apart.

Having found out the hard way and wasted loads of money, a few basic simple toys are best or even ones made out of old tissue boxes or kitchen roll inner tubes (slit down one side).

But the odd colourful fun thing can make it look more interesting, especially for a child :-)

The Hamster Heaven is a good choice for a dwarf hamster probably - if you remove all the tubes and penthouse and block them off and take all the colourful plastic stuff out (it doesn't work for the hamster!) - ie just start with a basic cage and add a house and shelf and toys. It's not too big, not too small and is lower in height than the Barney.

Pebbles82
02-01-2018, 06:27 PM
You're doing the right thing getting prepared in advance! I'm on our third cage. The first one was a disaster (rotostak thing) and we had to upgrade our Syrian within a month due to him getting cage rage and stuck in tubes. The second one (size of the Hamster Heaven) seemed huge and he loved it - but it ended up being a bit cramped and so he then got upgraded to the Barney.

Our current Syrian was luckier and went straight into the Barney!

Wheels: Most people get an 11" or 12" wheel for a Syrian. 6.5" to 8" for a dwarf. But there is a choice of 8" wheels and only one 6.5" wheel which currently has issues people find (ie not spinning well) so better to go for an 8" wheel. The wheel needs to be big enough that they can run with a straight back. Cages usually come with a standard 6" wheel which might be big enough for some dwarf hamsters. The Barney comes with an 8" wheel which could do as a starter wheel for a baby syrian, but it's a bit flimsy! There is a good choice of 11" and 12" wheels available - some silent, some not.

How old is your daughter? Our boy was 6 when we got our first Syrian - and he did love him. I don't think he'd have managed with a dwarf hammy.

CMB
02-02-2018, 11:12 AM
I have one of my Russian dwarf hamsters in a Barney cage. He was a little nervous to begin with, but now loves running all around his cage.

I brought a long bendy bridge that hooks on the side of the cage. I added it to the platform, to give another ramp/access because my hamster used the go up the ramp that came with the cage, across the platform and then jump of the platform or try to climb down the cage wire.

Pebbles82
02-02-2018, 02:45 PM
Ooh I forgot that CMB! Also you could always block one end off as a digging area to make the floor space smaller if they were nervous in a bigger cage.

Wilson
02-05-2018, 05:03 AM
For a first hamster, a Syrian is often a good choice for a child :-) They are often easier to tame and handle and can be more cuddly. Dwarf hamsters can also be tamed and handled, but I do think a Syrian is a good choice for a first one for a child.

The Barney is a great cage for a Syrian - I've had two Syrians in our Barney (not at the same time! Syrians always have to live alone - and I think it also helps them bond with an owner because they live alone).

If you did want to get a Russian dwarf then it would be better to just get one - a pair is quite a lot of careful setting up and they often need separating if they fall out, which means you'd need a spare cage. Also just be aware that all Russian dwarf hamsters from pet shops will be hybrids. They may be described as Campbells or Winter whites,but they will be a hybrid mix of the two - even though they may look like one or the other. Hybrids can be prone to diabetes or their lives may be a shorter due to some genetic issue. They still make lovely pets but just to point out.

It's another reason a Syrian could be an easier first choice. They are pretty robust health wise usually.

Personally I wouldn't get the Barney for a single dwarf hamster - it's quite tall for a dwarf hamster and smaller dwarf hamsters can get easily injured if they monkey bar across the roof and then drop. You can get round this by a careful set up and maybe some extra shelves, but that's a lot of hassle for a first time owner really, unless you're particularly creative and good at diy.

There are slightly lower barred cages, or there are perspex tank style cages like the maxi duna multy.

You will get different views on cage sizes for dwarf hamsters.

But for a Syrian it's usually accepted that no smaller than 80cm by 50cm is needed. I personally think 100cm cage like the barney is just the right size for a Syrian because you can add so much to it for enrichment and can have larger toys and accessories etc without the cage filling up too much.

The Barney comes with a good shelf and a good sized house/nesting box for a Syrian too,so you would just need a wheel and some floor toys (tubes, tunnels, hidey places etc). Most hamster toys sold are too small for syrians - they do better with rat sized tubes etc. A lot of toys sold for hamsters are downright dangerous with nails and splinters, or just fall apart.

Having found out the hard way and wasted loads of money, a few basic simple toys are best or even ones made out of old tissue boxes or kitchen roll inner tubes (slit down one side).

But the odd colourful fun thing can make it look more interesting, especially for a child :-)

The Hamster Heaven is a good choice for a dwarf hamster probably - if you remove all the tubes and penthouse and block them off and take all the colourful plastic stuff out (it doesn't work for the hamster!) - ie just start with a basic cage and add a house and shelf and toys. It's not too big, not too small and is lower in height than the Barney.

You're doing the right thing getting prepared in advance! I'm on our third cage. The first one was a disaster (rotostak thing) and we had to upgrade our Syrian within a month due to him getting cage rage and stuck in tubes. The second one (size of the Hamster Heaven) seemed huge and he loved it - but it ended up being a bit cramped and so he then got upgraded to the Barney.

Our current Syrian was luckier and went straight into the Barney!

Wheels: Most people get an 11" or 12" wheel for a Syrian. 6.5" to 8" for a dwarf. But there is a choice of 8" wheels and only one 6.5" wheel which currently has issues people find (ie not spinning well) so better to go for an 8" wheel. The wheel needs to be big enough that they can run with a straight back. Cages usually come with a standard 6" wheel which might be big enough for some dwarf hamsters. The Barney comes with an 8" wheel which could do as a starter wheel for a baby syrian, but it's a bit flimsy! There is a good choice of 11" and 12" wheels available - some silent, some not.

How old is your daughter? Our boy was 6 when we got our first Syrian - and he did love him. I don't think he'd have managed with a dwarf hammy.

Thanks for the reply, lots of good info! Our daughter will be 4 on her birthday in May.

Zooplus currently have a bit of a sale and have an Alaska for a decent price which is 84 x 48.5 x 44 cm.

I think I may go for a single Syrian, I don't want to have to sorry about 2 hamsters if they fall out etc and we don't really have the space for 2 cages either!

Do you think a Syrian would be happy in the dimensions of the Alaska, I don't think the Barney would fit on the table area I was planning on having the cage.