PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a scottish show

flogging_molly
12-07-2009, 05:32 AM
I've been thinking it might be nice to arrange a show in scotland next year - but there are a few things i need to look into, like:

* where it could be held and where in scotland would be best?
* who would be able to come
* publising it etc so was looking for some help from some show veterans to help me figure out what i would need so i can see if it would be logistical,

also if anyone would want to help arranging etc they could let me know via the thread, just thought it would be nice to have a show in scotland

souffle
12-07-2009, 05:48 AM
Babyboos used to run the odd show in Scotland. With there being no BHA anymore is is difficult to schedule shows in Scotland.
If you wanted to run it as a pet hamster show then that is certainly possible. There was one reported in the journal last moth which happened in Turrif I think and was judged by the local vet.
A full scale hamster show under the NHC rules would not be feasible this year. Scotland comes under the Northern Hamster Club and each club is only allowed so many shows each year. They are allocated the year before. If you are/ joined the Northern Club you would I'm sure get permission to run a pet hamster show.
The best idea is to tag it on to another event such as a vet school open day/animal fun day, large agricultural show which maybe has rats/mice/ rabbits. They may give you a bench in their tent. You could approach a Gala day somewhere and ask if you can hold it there.
It is likely to be mainly kids and pet hammies that enter which is ideal to raise the interest and you can publicise via the event publicity. Some charge £20 or so for a stand.
We do run Brockholes show for Northern so have some experience if you need any advice just PM me.

Bailey-Benji
12-07-2009, 05:49 AM
That sounds cool. I'd like to come for a nosey.

flogging_molly
12-07-2009, 05:57 AM
thank you souffle, theres a big open day that the glasgow vet school have every year so it could be useful to do as you say and tag it onto that :)

:)

suga
12-07-2009, 09:18 AM
That sounds like a good plan :). It would be a great place to start and could be advertised all around the central belt and then maybe a scottish show in 2011.

babyboos
12-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I have been asking northern hamster club for years to help with this and got nowhere but they have a new chairperson now so maybe will have better luck getting something onto schedule for 2011? gave up my membership in end as fed up being ignored Scottish minority member. As for 2010 Depends what you are aiming for the full blown pedigree show like those held by the hamster clubs down in England in which case you would need to get trained judge/s on board - there are a few willing to travel to Scotland out there so not impossible, sadly I was never able to complete my training, or more of a pet show idea a bit like we used to have at Glasgow Vet School fete? happy to help in any way I can

souffle
12-08-2009, 06:06 AM
I think that Scotland would need to demonstrate that there were enough breeders or people with hamsters interested in showing to make a viable show Babyboos. You are right that few people would be able to travel that far unfortunatly so most shows are help within reasonable reach of as many members as possible.
Maybe you should consider forming a Scottish Hamster Club then ask the National Hamster club to become affiliated to it. You would need to get a reasonable membership but then you could organise your own shows etc.

babyboos
12-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Does anyone remember Wayne's World? "book them and they will come" all of the BHA scottish shows were very well attended down to me a lot of the time admittedly rounding people up but then as they were so few was able to really build up a good interest between them - but I have had this discussion so many times with former chairman the only way to increase Scottish membership in the Northern is to offer something in Scotland - shows bring publicity and awareness of the existence of a hamster club and showing which brings new members, doesn't really work the other way round and in a credit crunch people are even more desiring to know what they are getting for their money, and shows though not the be all and end all of hamster club membership are a major attraction for many and an opportunity to meet like minded people face to face - young kids might be able to convince parents to take them to the Central Belt for a day trip - way down to Yorkshire and beyond just doesn't happen.

If anyone wanted to create a Scottish Club would happily support them but way too much on my plate to spearhead anything sadly - bottom line though you need meetups to get members

Do anyone have any contacts in other small pets world? rats, guinea pigs etc?

flogging_molly
12-09-2009, 12:39 PM
I know what you mean, that's why I thought it'd be good to have a low key sort of just for fun and raising the profile of shows in scotland. It would enevitably be amazing to create a scottish club but i'm really not sure whats involved and what we would need to do or indeed if there would be a big enough member base to make it viable (obviously the hamster society had problems with members so no point if that would be the case)

Essentially I think it would be prudent to look towards doing a pet show at something like the Rodeo thing put on by the vet school in 2010/2011 and raising the profile of hamster shows in scotland, then possibly moving towards holding shows with the help of the BHA/ NHC (if possible) which are more pedigree etc

What do you think?

babyboos
12-10-2009, 05:30 AM
problems with hamster society were more than members we had plenty of those at various time but retention though is a factor as you have to offer something for people's money or they understandably wont stay, you also need a good secretary and membership coordinator etc and something to make people feel they are part of a group - they resisted modern technologies and forums are here to stay and must be embraced and journals/magazines must be appealing age appropriate regular etc etc and in this day and age availabel electronically or via mail saves environment and postage costs for a start

as for the rodeo happy to help if I can

flogging_molly
12-10-2009, 05:42 AM
thanks Morag!

kazmac
04-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Hi folks

Has anyone had any more thoughts on forming a Scottish Hamster Club?
I'm a mamber of the Scottish Rat Club and a member and on the committee of the Scottish National Cavy Club.
And as the owner of a hamster, it's sad that that there's not the equivalent for hamsters up here.
I realise that membership / committee members / advertising/ venues etc are all major hurdles.
But had anyone had any more thoughts on this at all?
Just wondered how feasible it would be and how much interest there would actually be amongst us scots! :?:

HamstersAreHardcore
07-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Id love a scottish hamster club theres no point of our country in the northen hamster club because we dont get anything we need to make our own club along with northen ireland then we can get some hamster shows

WHOS WITH ME OWN MAKING A SCOTTISH AND NORTHEN IRELAND CLUB

Im only 13 so i cant make it :(

debs
08-19-2010, 10:28 AM
^^ Yess they should make one and all so much scottish shows i wouldnt mind going too One :D

stellanova1
08-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Me too!! :)

debs
08-19-2010, 10:47 AM
yeah they need too have one :D

internet_nobody
08-19-2010, 10:47 AM
The major problem for a Scottish show is there are no judges in Scotland, so people would need to travel down to some of the Northern shows to train, or you'd need people to come up to Scotland to judge, which is really asking rather a lot considering cost of petrol and that people would probably need to stay in a hotel overnight. Sarah at Midnight Stud is probably the closest qualified judge, and is qualified to do both Syrians and Dwarfs (i'm imagining a show would be small enough that one person could do both sections), but it would still be a long drive for her.

Also, as Scotland is technically covered by the Northern Hamster Club, if a club were formed and wanted to affiliate to the National Hamster Council then it would need to be discussed. The National isn't actually involved in organising shows, it is just the governing body who set the rules & regs, sort out insurance etc.

Kamzac is probably in a good position to get things started - maybe one of the rat/cavy shows would allow a pet hamster section (or a proper one if you could get the judge, though it would be tricky to do to NHC rules because of simple things like people not having the show pens).

HamstersAreHardcore
08-19-2010, 01:42 PM
I dont think thats fair that people down south get it though :(

souffle
08-19-2010, 01:52 PM
You may think it's not fair HAH but it is a fact that there are not enough breeders and exhibitors in Scotland to make a show happen. Running a club is not that simple and needs a committee and time.

internet_nobody
08-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Without the people, shows can't happen. There are many areas of England that aren't covered, and only 2 shows a year in Wales, both in the south. A lot of people routinely drive 2-3 hours to get to shows, they have to be where they are close enough for judges and show secretaries (who only get a free lunch as reward for their trip!), and all the other helpers needed.

There's nothing to stop a group of people in Scotland from organising a "fun" hamster show or pet show. There is someone in Scotland who is a hamster club member who organises a pet show every year. It isn't about what is fair and what isn't, but about what people are willing to do.