PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Portugal!

Raquel
08-25-2017, 07:56 AM
Hello from Portugal!
In the past few months I´ve been doing a lot of research about hamster care. I´ve learn a lot, really and I feel completely ready to have a hamster. This won´t be my first hamster as many years ago I had the experience, but I was young and didn´t really knew what I was doing, so after my hamster Cookie passes away I decided to make a break and wait until I had the chance to be the owner this little cuties deserve :p And now here I am !!!! Soon I´ll get a Dwarf Winter White named Percy, but first I am still waiting for a few things like a proper sized wheel and there is still a last touch i must do to Percy´s DIY cage :-D
I came here to know if there are tips about bringing a hamster home safely.
Thank you for your attention <3 :D

CMB
08-27-2017, 12:28 AM
Congratulations on getting another hamster. If you can get a proper travel cage, it would be more secure than a cardboard box (what most pet shops put hamsters in).

Put some substrate, a small hide or box with torn unscented toilet tissue in and a piece of cucumber into the travel cage.

This is a the style I use for my hamster.

SKB_Hamsters
08-27-2017, 12:37 AM
Hello and welcome to Hamster Central.
You must be really excited to get your hamster.
I too would also recommend a secure carrier to bring your hamster home - I also use the same carrier as CMB uses (https://www.ferplast.com/gb/aladino-medium.html).
I normally add some substrate/bedding to the carrier. Also if possible you can ask for some of your hamster current bedding/substrate. This can be added to the carrier so that things smell slightly familiar to him and help him to feel a little relaxed. This then can be also added into his new cage to help him settle in.

AprilPearl
08-27-2017, 01:12 AM
Hello :) welcome to the forum. Can't wait to meet Percy.

Just wanted to put in a good word for the ferplast aladino pet carrier that CMB and SKB recommended. I used it to take my hamster home from his breeder and subsequently to the vet. Both times, he slept the whole way in it.

BorisPasha
08-27-2017, 02:15 AM
Hello and welcome to HC, looking forward to meeting Percy when you bring him home :)

cypher
08-27-2017, 02:17 AM
Hi & welcome to HC :)
Look forward to hearing all about Percy when he comes home.

I do exactly as SKB said when I bring a new ham home.

Thin Lizzy
08-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Hi Raquel and welcome to HC.
Congratulations on Percy.

BorisPasha
08-29-2017, 06:56 AM
Hello and welcome to HC :) Look forward to hearing more about Percy when you get him home.

chesca_27
08-29-2017, 11:41 AM
Hiya and welcome to HC! Good luck with getting Percy - I look forward to hearing more about him :).

Josie
08-29-2017, 03:34 PM
Hello Raquel and Percy, and welcome to HC, look forward to hearing more about Percy :D

dreamtree1234
09-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Hi and welcome to HC, Raquel and Percy! I look forward to hearing about all of Percy's wonderful adventures and seeing pics of your precious hammy after he has time to thoroughly settle into your loving home. It's great that you did lots of research in order to be the best ham-mum possible for your little one. I hope that the two of you have many years together. :)