PDA

View Full Version : Oakie's Food - Some Statistics

Catherine Spark
11-03-2009, 05:25 AM
I separated all the components of Oakie's food today to see what he gets of each. I also put a small amount of each food on a plate separated, and let him stuff his pouches with whatever took his fancy, and then took stock of what was left, to see which ones were his favourites.

The Food:
- Grain = c. 40%
- Red/Green biscuits (smell like dog biscuits) = c. 8%
- Sunflower seeds = c. 9%
- Unsalted whole peanuts = c. 3%
- Brown pellets = c. 20%
- Corn = c. 10%
- Peas = 10%

Oakie's Preferences in Order
1. Sunflower seeds (took them all)
2. Peanuts (took them all)
3. Pea flakes (left one)
4. Grain (took about half)
5. Brown pellets (took about a third)
6. Red/green biscuits (didn't take any)

Does the mix sound balanced? Is there anything it would be a good idea to change or add given his preferences?
Thanks for looking

souffle
11-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Even though he didn't pouch any of the biscuits he likey does eat some of them especially when he wakes up for a snack in bed!
It sounds like a fair enough diet. The pet shops usually buy in large sacks and bag it up themselves. You could ask them what type it is.
We add other bits to our mixes such as lentils, sunflower hearts, weetabix, bulgar wheat, soya flakes, omega mix seeds, broth mix from the supermarket (not one with dried leeks or onions in) barley, linseed and othe things but we mix large batches.

Catherine Spark
11-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi souffle, thanks for the advice and assurance. It looks home-bagged, so I'll ask them what type it is when I go for more. I've had a look at his store and yes, he has biscuits there - so I guess he is sneaking them up!