PDA

View Full Version : A Bit Worried

Catherine Spark
11-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Hi, I'm afraid I messed up - I fed Oakie a bit of orange before finding out it was bad for him. I'm scared now, because I've heard he can get wet tail disease from this. It was a piece smaller than my middle fingernail, and most of it was the membrane that covers the segments, rather than the inside - though there was a smear of this too. Is there anything I can do to make sure he doesn't get wet tail? I'm not even sure if he;s eaten it, as he usually discards strong tasting things, but I saw him nibbling and now I can't find it. Should I give him something with probiotics in it like actimel to prevent wet tail or leave well alone with plenty of dry food and water?
Thanks!

suga
11-01-2009, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't give oakie any more treats for tonight. I would try and rumage through the cage and see if you can find the uneaten bit - its likely to be in his food store or bed and remove it. Hoping he's okay.

Catherine Spark
11-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks suga...I'll do that

Rummaged through his shavings, food bowl and bed, and can't find it. He's acting normal just now so hopefully he'll be ok. And he didn't eat it on an empty stomach, and he's had some more to eat since. His poos look normal, his tail is dry and he has no smell. About an hour has now passed. Hopefully whatever's in it that's bad is now very dilute and will pass/has passed through unnoticed :oops: :roll: :?

Should I give him some live yoghurt tomorrow to replenish the gut bacteria?

souffle
11-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Don't worry as it was only a little bit. Wet tail is caused by a bacteria so the orange wont give him wet tail or destroy his gut bacteria. It may cause a slight loosness temporarily or may just go through fine. The milk in yogurt can disagree with them in the same way and cause looseness so I'd just feed dry foods for a few days and see how he goes. I'm sure he will be just fine.

Catherine Spark
11-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Thank you for the advice and reassurance - this is a great relief! Being a new owner I still get a bit terrified that I'll do something wrong and make him ill - a paranoid Mum! The bacteria issue was what I was mainly worried about - that the citric acid would alter the pH in his gut and thus the balance of bacteria, causing wet tail. But all sorted and debunked now - dry food for the next day or so...and no more oranges!!