PDA

View Full Version : He hates his house!

lany30
05-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Enzo just will not sleep in his little purple home I bought for him. I even put it in the place he doesnt sleep and he still will not sleep in it. He will always manage to find a corner to sleep in. Is this bad?

Crystalroborovski
05-16-2017, 08:04 PM
No, is isn't bad at all :) he just doesn't want to sleep in there, that's all. My hamsters have never slept inside of their toys, they prefer to sleep in their burrow.

AprilPearl
05-16-2017, 09:41 PM
No, I think a lot of hamsters prefer to nest in corners. It’s just good to give them the choice. Make sure that his hideout is big enough for him. If it is, then he probably just doesn’t want to sleep in it right now. That could be because the temperature is warmer right now (thoigh I don’t know where you are), or it may simply be a preference of his. Also, he might change his mind later. Don’t be surprised if you find one day that je has moved all his bedding into it overnight! Mushu alternates between sleeping in his house and outside it.

cypher
05-16-2017, 09:54 PM
Hamsters definitely have their own ideas about where to sleep!
Many of the houses sold for hams aren't really suitable so just let him sleep where he likes, you could leave the house in for a while to see if he changes his mind, if not just take it out & use the space for a toy he might enjoy.

AmityvilleHams
05-16-2017, 09:58 PM
Most of the time my Syrian just ends up burrowing into a corner and sleeping there,although bendable bridges have been a favorite sleeping area at times.As long as you provide deep enough substrate for your hamster's size(generally twice their length is what works as a good minimum for serious burrowing,otherwise they may not be able to burrow properly or just won't burrow at all)and use a substrate that actually works with burrowing(not wood,as it is often very rough and tends not to hold burrows that well,but paper substrates work wonderfully for burrowing and tend to hold burrows without the need for any additional materials along with plenty toilet roll!)you should be fine :)

Thin Lizzy
05-17-2017, 03:03 AM
I would leave it in, Enzo might find a use for it.
Some do prefer to choose their own place to sleep, plus it's getting warmer.

FelicityAnn
05-17-2017, 04:02 AM
Esmeralda has a house where she sleeps during the night, a half coconut shell where she sleeps during the day, a grass house that she uses just for preening herself and a wooden house where she takes any treats she encounters in the cage.

Just goes to show that, like people, there are no two hamsters alike!

Pebbles82
05-17-2017, 06:08 AM
I used to find our Syrian preferred a bigger house so he could make a big nest in it. They also like it if it's dark inside so putting a bendy bridge over the door can help. Our new baby syrian is doing something similar - he didn't choose the house I put out (it has a hole on top so isn't very dark inside) and is nesting under a shelf and has turned it into a house! By piling up substrate in front of the shelf. He then burrows out and comes up through the house lol.

Our last Syrian also ignored a nice little house I put in, but when I put a bigger one in with a bendy bridge over the door he moved straight into it. You could try a shoebox house - cut the bottom out of a shoe box and a hole in the front long side for a door and keep the lid as a lift-off roof so you can check inside. And put a bendy bridge over the door and see if your hammy moves in. Some of them do have quirks though :-)