PDA

View Full Version : tamed...?

chi0
04-20-2017, 12:54 PM
hi everyone!

so i'm a bit confused by my hammy's behavior. i've had her since january, and i've been doing the best i can to follow all the tips and tricks i've gotten on how to tame her.

and it's...sort of working?

i've read quite a few articles talking about how to know if your hamster is tamed/trusts you. and the some of the sarge's behavior matches, and others don't.

for example: she will eat from my hand and approach me if i put my hand in the cage (rather than running away). but at the same time, she will flinch and and struggle a bit if i try to pick her up out of the cage.

is she just at a halfway point between trusting me and not, or am i doing something wrong, or does she actually trust me and i'm misinterpreting her actions? or something else?

thanks!

Amethyst_ice
04-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Some hamsters just don't like being picked up! And some act differently inside the cage to out as it is their territory.

How is she when outside the cage?

If she isn't biting and seems happy, i'd continue what you are doing and spend more time enjoying her company than trying to analyse her. It can take a while and each hammy is different.

So just stop worrying id say :)

chi0
04-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Some hamsters just don't like being picked up! And some act differently inside the cage to out as it is their territory.

How is she when outside the cage?

If she isn't biting and seems happy, i'd continue what you are doing and spend more time enjoying her company than trying to analyse her. It can take a while and each hammy is different.

So just stop worrying id say :)

oh, alright!

out of the cage she's very curious and loves to run around (on me and/or wherever we're playing at the time) and explore. she has never bitten me, so that's a good sign!

thanks for the advice, i'll keep doing what i'm doing! c:

Amethyst_ice
04-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Sounds like she may just not like hands in her cage..I have a rat who is a tricky guy to catch but once out won't leave me alone!

Hamsters can be just the same. I usually train y hamsters to come to the door and I have a platform attached outside for them to walk onto which I can then lift them out from.

Keep enjoying her and stop stressing :)

Drago
04-20-2017, 04:49 PM
I agree with amethyst, each hamster is unique in what they like/dislike and how they express this. I would just keep working with him, eventually she'll become more comfortable with you. My hamster, Duncan, was very skittish when I first got him, but now he could care less what anyone does. I could lift him out of a dead sleep without any problems (although I never do, and you definitely shouldn't do this!). Over time, hamsters calm down and become more used to you so no need to stress. Good luck with taming, and if you have any other questions, please ask :)

flowerfairy
04-21-2017, 08:04 AM
My hamsters will happily climb into a container to be transportedinto their play boxes. They quickly learned to make that association.

I use a small cardboard box for arun which he cannot get into fast enough! Gopal has a pringles tube and goes in slowly after having a good sniff around.

She may prefer a tube or box to hands. Good luck.

chi0
04-21-2017, 08:37 AM
alright, thank you both!

i'll try using a container next time i take her out c:

Jennie F
04-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Your girl looks just like Khalessi. Is she a syrian?

By the way, how did you make your signiture logo?

chi0
04-21-2017, 09:25 AM
she is a syrian!

i put it together in photoshop! i can make one for you if you have something in mind c:

Jennie F
04-21-2017, 09:54 AM
I have photoshop express on my phone, can I do that?

If not, I would love ot if you change the dimensions of this for me x

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh522/jenifurby2/Mobile%20Uploads/rsz_220170419_220249_20170419220859021_zps1p5kp5ox .jpg

chi0
04-21-2017, 09:56 AM
i'm not sure, i've never used photoshop express. what exactly are you looking to do?

i'm happy to change the dimensions! would you like to be the same as mine?

Jennie F
04-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Yeah that would be great! Thank you!

chi0
04-21-2017, 12:20 PM
i couldn't edit the original image without really distorting it with stretching, so i thought this might be a good compromise! let me know if you don't like it, i'll try something else c:

Jennie F
04-21-2017, 12:29 PM
That's lovely! Thank you so much. I'll try to add it now. X

Jennie F
04-21-2017, 12:31 PM
Hopefully it works? Its lovely, thank you so much, so kind of you x

chi0
04-21-2017, 12:48 PM
it looks like its working to me! though its stretching out a bit for some reason :c i'm not sure why. but it still looks good, khaleesi is very cute!

Jennie F
04-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Thanknyou. You little girl is a cutie as well