PDA

View Full Version : Worrying sudden change of behaviour

Tealc
04-17-2017, 03:45 PM
I've had my hamster for just over a week now and up until now she's been fanatically running around her cage and on her wheel but she started to slow up over the past couple days, which I thought she was just settling in. But tonight she has just sat in her coconut hideout(that she doesn't nest in) completely motionless. I'm very worried about her. What should I do?

Drago
04-17-2017, 04:24 PM
Does she display any other symptoms? Was she in their the entire night, specifically, does it look as though she's been eating and drinking at all? If you're concerned about her at all, you need to take her to a vet ASAP. Hamsters can go downhill very quickly, and sometimes our only indication their health is declining is them being less active. As prey animals, they hide illness so when you see symptoms, the illness is often advanced. Hope she feels better soon, best wishes

Thin Lizzy
04-17-2017, 05:49 PM
How old is she? Could she have hurt herself? Is there any way you can check her? She might've caught herself on something on her cage. Also is she eating & drinking? Like Drago said, they can deteriorate quickly if something's wrong. If in doubt ask for an emergency vet appointment and have a vet examine her.

cypher
04-17-2017, 11:03 PM
It sounds as though she's unwell or something has frightened her causing her to behave this way, can you think of anything that may have given her a scare? Any unusual loud noises, other animals around, that sort of thing?
If she's tame enough for you to manage it give her a thorough health check, if you can't do it yourself or aren't sure what to look for I would take her to the vet.

Tealc
04-19-2017, 03:48 AM
She was eating and drinking fine that night and seems back to normal now but I'll keep a close eye on her for sure.

Thanks for the replies :D