PDA

View Full Version : Hello & advice

Richie
04-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Hi all. I'm looking at becoming a hamster keeper, and I am looking for some advice on which type, if any, is best for me.

I have kept rodents most of my life. I had a couple of Syrian hamsters as a kid, and a pair of Russian Dwarves, but moved onto mice, and then rats, which I've kept for several years. Whilst I enjoy keeping mice & rats, I am finding that more & more are developing tumours, particularly pet-shop bought ones. I understand that hamsters are less prone to tumours?

But to get one Syrian, or a pair of female dwarves...?

As well as handling, I enjoy watching my pets. I've had a couple of Syrian hamsters that don't put on much of a show. But as soon as I've turned the lights off to go to bed, I heard them becoming active.

My dad keeps Roborovski's which are very entertaining to watch, but he says they don't like being handled.

I work full time, and I'm often busy in the evenings, so would only have 3 or 4 evenings a week to handle a hamster.

Would it be irresponsible to take on a Syrian and not handle it so often? Would it become aggressive with so little handling?

Would a pair of Russian Dwarves be okay as they have each other for company? Or do they need daily handling?

What are your thoughts please?

Thanks

Richie