PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't seem to be eating

busylizzie71
09-29-2009, 03:04 PM
I got my new hamster Sugar on Saturday. She seems happy and healthy, but I don't think she is eating much.

It is a long time since I had a hamster so I can't remember how much they eat. But she has barely touched her food bowl in that time, not even to move stuff down to her bedroom area. I have tried her with tiny bits of other food, and so far she has accepted raisins and tiny bits of carrot, but nothing else (not even nuts!).

I am not sure whether I should worry about her at this stage, or just leave her be and let her eat when she is hungry enough.

Any advice?

souffle
09-30-2009, 04:18 AM
Baby hamsters do not eat an awful lot so if she has a full bowl you are likely just not noticing any change. Maybe a teaspoon a day is all they will eat. As long as she is active and glossy with bright eyes and seems to be weeing and pooing well I would not worry too much. Check her botty is clean and dry though.
You can offer her protein rich foods like a tiny bit of plain chicken, a cube of tofu, a bit of plain pasta, some cheese, some baby food from a jar like chicken and pasta and a little ready brek porridge too (not all at once of course - try one every 2nd day at first) and this will help her grow.