PDA

View Full Version : Sand bath help

alipali1
03-14-2017, 03:03 PM
So I have some sand baths for my robos and they seem to be using as a toilet but then also rolling around in it.
Can I do anything to help them stop?

AmityvilleHams
03-14-2017, 03:11 PM
That is normal and fine.Don't do anything :)

Drago
03-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Those are both completely normal behaviors! All you can really do is scoop the pee out of their sand pit whenever you see they've gone in it. Nothing bad will come of them rolling about as it's not quite the same as it is with humans :) best wishes

Pebbles82
03-15-2017, 12:07 PM
They also lick themselves clean very thoroughly :-) you could try providing another "toilet" - a small dish with some sand in - but then they might use both as toilets lol.

Cinnamon Bear
03-15-2017, 01:41 PM
I am soooo happy when I see the dwarf hybrids using their sand bath as their toilet as that means less cage cleanings. Heaven is potty trained in a sand bath bowl thankfully.

I bought a scoop at Pet Smart for .99cents then add more sand every few weeks. You can reuse the same sand if you are using chinchilla sand.

alipali1
04-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Haven't been on in a while so just seen these!

Yes I love to watch them in the sand baths :D so cute!
I also agree it really helps with cage cleaning! I have been replacing the sand every few weeks and then spot cleaning it as a when needed :) Nani flicks it bloody everywhere!!!! Haha

doughnut 10
04-14-2017, 08:58 AM
Hellooo i just got my new Dawrf Hamster a sand bath yesterday i thought he would be straight in to it but nope:mad never went near it. Do they sometimes not like them he seems to like his bedding better to roll in.:)

Drago
04-14-2017, 09:09 AM
Hellooo i just got my new Dawrf Hamster a sand bath yesterday i thought he would be straight in to it but nope:mad never went near it. Do they sometimes not like them he seems to like his bedding better to roll in.:)

Some hamsters love their sand baths, while others want nothing to do with it! You can always try moving the bath to another location in his cage or changing the bowl/item that the sand is in to see if that makes a difference :)

cypher
04-14-2017, 09:20 AM
If by dwarf you mean a Russian doughnut it would be highly unusual for him not to enjoy it, if it's new it might just take a while to get the hang of it, is it big & deep enough to have a good dig & roll around in? Do you have chinchilla sand in it?
As Drago suggested you could try moving it to another area but it might pay to be patient & wait & see.

JLPrairie
04-14-2017, 10:08 AM
If by dwarf you mean a Russian doughnut it would be highly unusual for him not to enjoy it, if it's new it might just take a while to get the hang of it, is it big & deep enough to have a good dig & roll around in? Do you have chinchilla sand in it?
As Drago suggested you could try moving it to another area but it might pay to be patient & wait & see.

Um...You just said "Russian doughnut." :razz:

Drago
04-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Um...You just said "Russian doughnut." :razz:

I think maybe she meant "if by dwarf you mean a Russian, doughnut, it..."? I think she was trying to address them by their name. I'd love to meet a Russian donut hamster though lol :)

JLPrairie
04-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Oh, didn't see her username. Lol

CMB
04-15-2017, 03:08 AM
if the sand bath is open, like a bowl. You could make it more enclosed by putting it under a shelf/platform or something.