PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Nuts.!

pauljono1120
09-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Anyone ever tried Monkey nuts with there hamsters? (The nut in the shell.)

My hamster loves breaking the shell open for his nutty reward :).

And also likes dandelion leaves.

suga
09-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Yep - i have given previous hamsters monkey nuts - just not my current one. You can never get just one or two monkey nuts - you have to buy a packet, and then i munch my way through the rest - not good. :D

souffle
09-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Ours love them though we have had the odd one who cant open the shell :(
One every couple of days is fine though.

babyboos
10-01-2009, 05:05 PM
I would recommend a nut with a harder shell such as walnut or brazil as opposed to monkey nut
give it a crack by hitting with hard implement or a gentle squeeze in the cracker so they can smell thee yummy goodness inside and they will bite and scratch their way in helping keep nails down and teeth trimmed

Zeppelin
10-06-2009, 04:06 AM
Mine love them as a treat, they promptly pouch it and scamper off for secret eating time. As they scamper you can her the nut rattling in their pouch :lol:

Bunsey
10-06-2009, 07:26 AM
yeah, a lot of mine like them, but i've had some who didn't seem to understand that they had to crack it open! Dwarfs just ignore them though, apart from Chinese.

merita
11-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Koda likes them but he won't work for his food and won't bite it open himself. I have to start if off by making a hole in it first LOL

I get them from a local place that sells them loose.

kirsty
11-25-2009, 04:20 PM
My last lil russian dwarf hammy Toffee *loved* them I'd crack the shell slightly and she'd knaw her way through the rest to get the nuts. It used to keep her occupied for ages then she would run off with the nuts :D Awh I miss her. x